PDA

View Full Version : Buying used pack and need advice.

Redrivergar
03-17-2012, 17:34
I have found a north face badlands 75 for sale for 50 used. Its in good shape used very little and I plan to use it for 3-5 day excursions in the great smokey mt part of at. Is it worth it and what are the drawbacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2012, 17:48
A heavy pack at 6lbs., but a quality one. Great price given what it lists for. Depends upon your hiking style as to whether it is too large / too heavy or not. Many hikers are trying to go more towards very lightweight gear and 40 - 50 liter packs weighing as little as 2 lbs lately. It is probably very well suited to winter hikes or others where more gear or provisions are needed, or for those that like to carry a lot of luxury items. It would be overkill for me as I try to keep my total weight in the 15-20 lb range.

Shutterbug
03-17-2012, 17:52
I have found a north face badlands 75 for sale for 50 used. Its in good shape used very little and I plan to use it for 3-5 day excursions in the great smokey mt part of at. Is it worth it and what are the drawbacks?

The price looks good, but it is a BIG pack. The drawback of a big pack is one is tempted to fill it up. I have a pack about that size, but rarely use it any more, because a smaller pack holds every thing I need for a 5 day hike.

Redrivergar
03-17-2012, 17:53
Thanks for the response. It does seem heavy. I bet my molle system doesn't weigh much more than that.

bigcranky
03-18-2012, 16:15
As long as it fits you well, great; it's a well-made traditional pack. Not light, not small, but it will work just fine for backpacking 3-5 days in the Smokies. $50 is a deal.

Luddite
03-29-2012, 23:05
A pack that heavy is designed to carry heavy loads (40-60lbs) comfortably. Its a nice pack and at $50 its a good deal, but its meant for hiking in locations where you aren't going to be able to resupply every couple of days.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2012, 23:13
I am concerned that so many are used and available - I would do some more digging and go lighter.

rocketsocks
03-29-2012, 23:18
I am concerned that so many are used and available - I would do some more digging and go lighter.maybe it's a womens pack?size Large?,butt ugly color?:-?often I see these as left overs and cheap.

Passengr57
03-31-2012, 05:10
I'm chiming in late, perhaps you already made your choice but if you did it's a good deal. The badlands pack was my first pack and it was a heavy load, but a solid piece of equipment. Good pockets, great padding, and the top compartment detaches to a fanny pack which I actually used once. In fact the padding was so good that when unpacked I would use it as a chair back when sitting up on the shelter walls. Lots of straps but nice access into the main compartment. It was heavy and I did replace it but long story short 13 years later i still have it and still use it on occasion.