PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the closest pickup site near Katahdin?

Eywa Dude
03-17-2012, 23:37
I have someone to pick me up at the end of my NoBo thru-hike, but does anyone know where the closest road is to Katahdin for them pick me up? And, roughly how far from Katahdin would it be? If you could help me with the directions, it would be great! Thanks.

rocketsocks
03-18-2012, 01:48
Look into Abol bridge camp ground.But not sure....never been there.

fiddlehead
03-18-2012, 02:59
Roaring brook campground at the end of Roaring Brook road is the closest I believe.
From there, you can hike to Chimney pond and up the shortest trail to the top.
Or, I the knife edge is accessible from that road.
I think it's 6.5 miles from chimney pond to roaring brook and the trail up to the top from Chimney is about 2 miles.
Not sure of those distances but I think they are accurate within 20%???

Google Earth would help but I don't have it on this computer.

weary
03-18-2012, 10:26
The Baxter Park Perimeter Road crosses the AT and passes Katahdin Stream, which is the last campground you pass before climbing Katahdin. That's the easiest by far pick up point, and the one most people use. Katahdin Stream is around 5.5 miles from the summit. Most hikers climb to the summit, return to Katahdin stream, and either hitch out of the park, or meet a pick up.

Grampie
03-18-2012, 12:10
It would probably be better to have someone meet you in Millinocket. It's the closest town to Katahdin. Lot's folks leaving the park would give you a ride to town.

Don H
03-18-2012, 12:54
AT Lodge does a shuttle from Katahdin Stream CG (in front of the ranger station) to Millinocket. I think it's free if you stay with them. The pick up about 3:30 PM.

peakbagger
03-19-2012, 07:52
As noted most map databases do not have the roads in Baxter State Park in their database or they are very inaccurate. Last year, while driving out of the park, my TomTom insisted that I could drive down a hiking trail. If you search for Baxter State Park's address in many databases you will get the address for the headquarters in Millinocket Maine which is a 60 minute drive to the park gate. Its about an hour formt he gate to Katahdin Stream Campground from the gate.

For road directions check out the BSP website

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/miscPages/MapDirections.html

If you drive in the park with out of state license plates, you have to pay a road fee of $14. This is the same price if you are driving in for 5 minutes or 2 weeks. From the gate house the park staff will give you a map. One thing to keep in mind, motorhome type vehicles are not allowed in the park and and no pets.

Most folks would get picked up Katahdin Stream Campground. If the hikers are having a good time, they may elect to go down to Roaring Brook. Its about a 1 to 1-1/2 hour drive between Katahdin Stream and Roaring Brook (the road are rouhg ans the speed limit is slow on purpose.

If you dont want to drive in the Park, Abol bridge is the closest spot outside of the Park. If someone climbs the mountain, it a long day for them to hike back out of the park to Abol Bridge. Abol is on a private logging road called the Golden Road. Note there is a campground in the park called Abol campground, it is not the same as Abol Bridge on the Golden Road

When driving to Millinocket from the west, there is only one real option and that Interstate 95 from Bangor Me. The shortest distance to Bangor Me from Ontario is via US RT 2 through Northern VT, northern NH and western ME. You will see plenty of canadian license plates. It is a fairly slow route (especially in VT). Many folks may elect to go east via Canadian autoroutes and then drop down to pick up RT 2. The important then to realize is that there is no way to go east to west north of RT 2 across Maine.

bamboo bob
03-19-2012, 09:17
It is very easy to hitch into Millinocket, Anyone leaving BAxter will give you a ride.

TJ aka Teej
03-19-2012, 10:33
Eywa, your ride can pick you up inside the Park at Katahdin Stream Campground. The road through the campground is the AT. I admire the planning ahead, but you have months to make those arrangements.