PDA

View Full Version : New bag! Mountainsmith Wisp

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 13:53
Just bought a new sleeping bag from www.backcountrygear.com. The 2004 model Mountainsmith Wisp was on sale for $150, regularly $270.

Deg Rating: 30F
Weight: 1lb 8oz
Fill: 750+ down
Length: long, 6ft 6in
Zipper: 39in, left side
Color: burgundy/black
DWR finish
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MS3000

I have been debating between a new pack and a new bag. When I saw this deal, it won out hands down. I was also looking at the NF Beeline 900, which is 3 ounces lighter, but double the price. I have no problem carrying 3oz if Im saving $150. This bag will replace my current 25-50F bag, which is 12 years old and 2.5lbs.

I will post a review of it when it comes in the mail and after my first trip. (if I remember)

Anyone else have a Wisp?

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 14:22
This addition brings my 30F-nighttime lows (2-person) base weight to (all weights approx):

Gregory Z-Pack 51oz (I want a new pack, in time...looking at the GG Virga).
Mountainsmith Wisp 30deg bag w/stuff sack and trash bag 25oz
3/4 Z-Rest 11oz
Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II w/ poles, stakes, tie-outs, groundcloth 62oz

MSR Simmerlite w/ full 11oz fuel bottle, pump, stuff sack, lighter 23 oz
Snow Peak Ti 1400mL pot w/ lid/pan 7oz
generic mug 4oz
Lexan Spoon 1oz
PUR Hiker Purifier 11oz
2L Platypus 2oz

Lightweight fleece pullover 6oz (I have about 5 to choose from, depending on expected temp.)
Marmot Precip Jacket 15oz
Marmot Precip Pant 8oz
Extra Socks 3oz

Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp 3oz
Sony W5 Digital Camera w/batteries, memory stick 9oz
Some kind of book (usually 8-10oz)
TP 2oz

Base weight: (248oz) 15.5lbs

This does not include clothing worn (shorts, tee, socks, trail runners, and bandana). It also does not include food (1.5-2lb/day).

I want to get a new pack and new raingear, which will save me a lot of weight. I also would like to get a Pocket Rocket for weekend trips. Although, I will still use the simmerlite on week+ trips probably.

I take iodine for weekend trips as well, saving me some weight. But I like the purifier for longer trips.

EDIT: forgot my toothbrush. add 3oz or so.

schwenkler
03-28-2005, 15:13
Wow, that's a heavy toothbrush :eek:

I don't have a Wisp, but I considered the Beeline for a while and although it is light, I think that's mainly achieved by its small size, and no zipper. I think you made the right choice.

Look at RainShield for rainwear, or at Frogg Toggs.

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 16:06
[QUOTE=schwenkler]Wow, that's a heavy toothbrush :eek:

QUOTE]

I just put a number in. But that includes a travel size tube of toothpaste too...

Singletrack
03-28-2005, 16:20
This addition brings my 30F-nighttime lows (2-person) base weight to (all weights approx):

Gregory Z-Pack 51oz (I want a new pack, in time...looking at the GG Virga).
Mountainsmith Wisp 30deg bag w/stuff sack and trash bag 25oz
3/4 Z-Rest 11oz
Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II w/ poles, stakes, tie-outs, groundcloth 62oz

MSR Simmerlite w/ full 11oz fuel bottle, pump, stuff sack, lighter 23 oz
Snow Peak Ti 1400mL pot w/ lid/pan 7oz
generic mug 4oz
Lexan Spoon 1oz
PUR Hiker Purifier 11oz
2L Platypus 2oz

Lightweight fleece pullover 6oz (I have about 5 to choose from, depending on expected temp.)
Marmot Precip Jacket 15oz
Marmot Precip Pant 8oz
Extra Socks 3oz

Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp 3oz
Sony W5 Digital Camera w/batteries, memory stick 9oz
Some kind of book (usually 8-10oz)
TP 2oz

Base weight: (248oz) 15.5lbs

This does not include clothing worn (shorts, tee, socks, trail runners, and bandana). It also does not include food (1.5-2lb/day).

I want to get a new pack and new raingear, which will save me a lot of weight. I also would like to get a Pocket Rocket for weekend trips. Although, I will still use the simmerlite on week+ trips probably.

I take iodine for weekend trips as well, saving me some weight. But I like the purifier for longer trips.

EDIT: forgot my toothbrush. add 3oz or so.
I have a GG Virga. I really like it, but anything more than 15lbs. is too much for me. Your probably younger and stronger, and can carry it's maxium load of 20lbs. I do not know how your z-rest will be to make a virtual frame, but have found that a 3/4 Ridgerest works well. Just roll it up, stick it inside the pack, open the Ridgerest as far as it will expand, and stow your gear inside it.

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 19:05
I have a GG Virga. I really like it, but anything more than 15lbs. is too much for me. Your probably younger and stronger, and can carry it's maxium load of 20lbs. I do not know how your z-rest will be to make a virtual frame, but have found that a 3/4 Ridgerest works well. Just roll it up, stick it inside the pack, open the Ridgerest as far as it will expand, and stow your gear inside it.

yea i would probably have to get a rolled mat instead of a folding one.

prozac
03-29-2005, 17:23
I just bought the same bag from backcountrygear. Didn't really need a new bag but the price and weight for a quality bag were irresistable. Received bag today and seems kind of thin but I'll give it try this weekend and see how it works out. Worse comes to worse I'll just use it when temps get down to 40 Deg. Still a hellava deal for 150$.

The Solemates
04-06-2005, 13:50
I got my new bag in the mail a few days ago and so far I am quite impressed. I put it on the scales and it weighed exactly 1lb 8oz, and with included sil-nylon stuff sack added 0.9oz. It is a size large, which accomodates up to 6'6". I am 6'4" and have plenty of room in it. The girth at the shoulders, hips, and feet is a bit smaller than my previous bag, but I was expecting this. I still have adequate room to roll over from side to side since I am a side sleeper. I dont mind being a little more snug anyways. It has a half-zipper that will take some getting use to getting in and out, but it doesnt change my habits all that much. You do have to be careful zipping the bag because it often tends to get caught in the zipper draft tube and I can foresee it snagging if you arent careful. All in all, I am pleased, and will post another review on here after I field test it sometime soon.

The Solemates
04-06-2005, 13:50
I forgot to mention that I have put a few pictures of it on my photos page, under the album "Misc" if anyone wants to check it out.

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 14:10
[QUOTE=schwenkler]Wow, that's a heavy toothbrush :eek:

QUOTE]

I just put a number in. But that includes a travel size tube of toothpaste too...hey Solemates, I was wondering if you ever tried those listerine pocket packs to brush with? If not give em a try. Their 12 days worth of brushing twice a day and weigh nothing, and they work awesome!
I'm an ultra light freak! I don't mean to be but somewhere along the way I got abducted by the weight aliens and ever since have had issues... my 30 degree wt is 9.4 pounds and I'm loving it. I was also wondering why the heavy stove? Sounds like you have a great start to the ultra-lite gig and just need that extra nudge... I had a friend, Butterfinger, convince me to try bleach. Used it ever since and always will.
Anyway, just wondering and admiring...

The Solemates
04-06-2005, 18:14
hey Solemates, I was wondering if you ever tried those listerine pocket packs to brush with? If not give em a try. Their 12 days worth of brushing twice a day and weigh nothing, and they work awesome!
I'm an ultra light freak! I don't mean to be but somewhere along the way I got abducted by the weight aliens and ever since have had issues... my 30 degree wt is 9.4 pounds and I'm loving it. I was also wondering why the heavy stove? Sounds like you have a great start to the ultra-lite gig and just need that extra nudge... I had a friend, Butterfinger, convince me to try bleach. Used it ever since and always will.
Anyway, just wondering and admiring...

Never tried the strips, but wouldnt take them on a long-distance hike. Maybe a weekend or week trip. you know they have those crest brush things that fit over your finger now. could try those...

Likewise, we always cook 2 meals for 2 on our stove and we always have hot drinks. So we are boiling on average 6-8 cups of water a day. We also hike a lot in the winter, when temps yield a longer boil time. The best all around stove for this, and for long-distance trips, seems to be the simmerlite. Thats why I have it. Im not one buy a new piece of gear unless I need it (ie, dont have it). I wont buy to cut a few ounces if what I have is okay. When it dies, then yes, I'll get the latest and greatest. i guess i could get a "summer stove only," and thats why I may get a pocket rocket.

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 18:34
Never tried the strips, but wouldnt take them on a long-distance hike. Maybe a weekend or week trip. you know they have those crest brush things that fit over your finger now. could try those...

Likewise, we always cook 2 meals for 2 on our stove and we always have hot drinks. So we are boiling on average 6-8 cups of water a day. We also hike a lot in the winter, when temps yield a longer boil time. The best all around stove for this, and for long-distance trips, seems to be the simmerlite. Thats why I have it. Im not one buy a new piece of gear unless I need it (ie, dont have it). I wont buy to cut a few ounces if what I have is okay. When it dies, then yes, I'll get the latest and greatest. i guess i could get a "summer stove only," and thats why I may get a pocket rocket.Right on! Didn't realize you were cooking for 2:datz We got it set up for 2 using msr kettles, a 12oz nalgene, and esbits.
My dentist turned me onto listerine, said it's the brushing that counts and toothpaste does a # on your enamel or whatever. Anyway, i tried it and then figured i'd try those strips. Works for "ME"... so I'm in.

Nightwalker
04-09-2005, 04:36
I really hope that you don't have the leaky-down problem that I have. I sent one back, but the second one is doing the same. I'm just assuming that all the down is supposed to stay inside the bag?

Other than that, great bag. Warm below 30 degrees. When it gets wet, hang it on a bear cable in the morning while you're cooking breakfast and packing up and it fluffs right back up in the breeze. Of course, this years breezes are a different story, as are this year's "gentle spring showers." And don't forget the horizontal snow!

Still, I hated having to come off the trail to get a silly, stupid tooth pulled out, and am back out there probably by next weekend. I still have time to walk to Trail Days, especially now that I know that an abscessed tooth is what's been making me so sick and slow and tired out there.

Nevertheless, I'd rather sleep outdoors than in, and could only like it better if they made it one big Wi-Fi hotspot for my Ipaq (ducking and raising white flag!) And yes, some kind gentleman was talking business on his cell-phone at the Tray Mountain Shelter. The view from the summit of Tray Mountain was worth the trouble that I'm gonna be in when they find his body, with his phone implanted in his left ear, somewhere at the bottom of the overlook from Powell Mountain.

My, but these pain pills make me talk...

Anyway, good bag, leaks down a bit.

:banana Nightwalker, of the wet class of '05

zammy
04-17-2005, 05:22
your basic weight is 16 lbs, add to that 6-8 lbs food for 3-4 days and 4 lbs water, total of at least 28 lbs, will the pack take it?

zammy
04-17-2005, 05:29
your basic weight is 16 lbs, add to that 6-8 lbs food for 3-4 days and 4 lbs water, total of at least 28 lbs, will the pack take it?

The Solemates
04-18-2005, 09:56

4lbs of water is a half-gallon. Ive never carried that much water in my life, even during my AZ backcountry and Grand Canyon hiking. For most conditions, I will carry at most 20oz or so. That is equivalent to approx. 1.5lbs. Additionally, a 1.5lb/day estimate is more appropriate for me, and I even eat a lot. So I'd say subtract at least 5lbs off this estimate. That makes it 23lbs, which is about 2lbs less than I currently carry with my Zpack.