PDA

View Full Version : What do you suggest for meals to start the trail?

Eywa Dude
03-17-2012, 23:52
I am leaving Springer Mtn. for my thru-hike on March 25, and I was wondering what to pack for food to start out? What would you pack? I'll be carrying an alcohol stove to start off. I am clueless as to meal planning, so I am all ears (or eyes in this case), and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-18-2012, 00:27
Dinner
Slip Pea Soup instant w/ Instant Potatoes
*Chili Mac
Fettuccini Alfredo w tuna
*Lasagna
Cheddar Broccoli w chicken
Spaghetti
Olive Oil & Italian Herbs w chicken
*Beef Stroganoff
*Beef Stew
Lunch
Cliff Bars
Tuna w /mayonnaise packet
Nobbles in a bowl
Breakfast
Oak Meal
Trail Mix Bar
Nature Valley
*mountain house dinners
This is what am taken on the John Muir Trail this year if it work out for me this is what am taken on the AT next year the other stuff I can get at my local store

swjohnsey
03-18-2012, 08:46
Breakfast: 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 1/4 c raisins, 1/4 c sugar, cinnamon in zip lock bag. Coffee with 1/4 cup sugar.

Lunchs: Peanut butter on flour tortillas, 18 ounce jar will last 4 -6 days, tortillas 2 -3 day.

Dinners: Instant mashed potatoes, Mac & Cheese, Spam Singles, Knorr sides (Red Beans and Rice) Ramen, chicken in pouch.

Snack: Snickers, peanuts

Also on my shopping list: Poptarts, Instant oatmeal, hard cheese, salami, summer sausage, canned chicken, squeeze margarine.

When cooking with the alcohol put all the stuff in the pot first and let it soak then heat it up and let it set a while, maybe in a cozy.

Spokes
03-18-2012, 09:52
Knorr Pasta or Rice sides
Stuffing mix
Instant potatoes
Foil pack tuna
Foil pack salmon
Jars and jars and jars of peanut butter
etc...

Have no fear, food will be a consistent topic. Observer what your fellow thru hikers are doing for meals and you'll end up with countless ideas on what to pack by your next grocery store visit.

ScottP
03-18-2012, 10:12
I'm in the health-nut wing for food on hikes. Taking care of your body makes hiking a lot easier. I use mostly maildrops so maybe this info won't be helpful to you.

Dinner: quinoa, dehydrated beans, dehydrated veggies, olive oil, grocery store flavoring (pad thai, duck sauce, ect.)
Breakfast: hike for an hour, eat leftovers from dinner
snack foods throughout the day: yam-jerky, dried fruit, home made energy bars (12-grain based), 1 snickers bar :)

Don H
03-18-2012, 10:29
All good suggestions but I'd add:
M&M peanuts (they hold up better than Snickers in the heat)
flat bread

For me breakfast was typically Poptarts. Fast and easy, eat 'em while I hike.
Lunch and snacks during the day were cheese or peanut butter crackers, granola bars, tuna or peanut butter and Craisins on flat bread.
Dinner was usually a Knorrs rice or pasta, instant mashed potatoes, or Stove Top stuffing along with chicken, tuna or Spam.

Most items cooked were done by the "Freezer Bag" method. Never washed a dish in 5 months.

BigHodag
03-18-2012, 12:15
swjohnsey's menu above is closest to my own. I do hard salami on tortillas for lunch versus PB.

Unlike swjohnsey, I too am a freezer bag cooking (FBC) man like Don H. Being ex-military and having watched hundreds of mess kits being washed, most properly, but many improperly. I prefer the food safety aspect of the FBC method. Ziplock bags are inexpensive and fairly light.

swjohnsey
03-18-2012, 14:59
Having a single pot you use to cook/eat goes a long way to avoiding sickness caused by improper cleaning of eating utensils.