PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Tammany trail at DWG

saimyoji
03-28-2005, 15:29
I've done this hike a bunch of times now, was wondering how many others take the time to do this loop trail. As you enter the parking lot at Worthington State Forest, Dunnfield Creek (across I-80 from the DWG visitor's center) there is a trail that starts off to the right and goes straight up the mountain (starts off with stairs). This goes right up on top of Mt. Tammany looking down over the Delaware River (with some great views). It loops around, comes down the mountain and follows Dunnfield creek back towards the parking lot where it connects with the AT going up towards Sunfish Pond.
The whole thing can be done in a few hours, depending on how fit you are.

Do many thru-hikers bother with this? I guess there must be quite a few similar "side trails" or "blue blazes" along the way...what are some other places of note that hikers with the time should see?

Askus3
03-30-2005, 03:57
It is a nice hike for a local. I have done it several times, but I wouldn't recommend it for a thru-hiker to take the extra time for it. You get a similar view from across the river on Mt. Minsi which the AT goes over. I would recommend taking an equal amount of time to see the Gulf Hagas in the 100 Mile Wilderness.