PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Water-Resist. Cameras

Simrose
03-28-2005, 17:02
Just looking for the general (and varied, I'm sure) opinion on water-resistant cameras. I love the color from Kodak and Canon cameras, but I know that Pentax and Olympus make water-resistant cameras. All I need is a simple point-and-shoot, 4-5 megapix.

Do you think you would have taken many more pictures in bad weather (say in a year like 2003?) having had a WR camera?

Thanks for weighing in!

hikerjohnd
03-28-2005, 17:12
So are you only sold on digital? I picked up an APS waterproof camera for my upcoming thru - sure it doesn't have zoom features, but it gets the job done and I don't have to keep it in a baggie 'cause it's waterproof! And best of all - Panoramic pics! :sun

orangebug
03-28-2005, 20:40
I have the Pentax Optio43WR. It is a water proof camera that can be soaked. I used it during rain and snow this past Thanksgiving with Lithium AA batteries, and took over 300 photos. It is 4 MegaPixels. It is 4X4X1 and weighs under 8 oz including batteries.

I only use it with the LED turned off. I do not use the digital zoom. It is almost intuitive.

I like it immensely.

hiker5
03-29-2005, 07:43
I only use it with the LED turned off.

Do you mean LCD?

Peaks
03-29-2005, 08:42
Well, I did carry a water resistant camera on my thru-hike. However, I rarely if ever took pictures in the rain. There are no views in the rain.

I did purposely buy a water resistant camera because when you are outside for extended periods in all types of weather, everything does get damp. And there were times when I forgot to transfer my camera from my front pocket to somewhere dry inside the pack.

grrickar
03-29-2005, 15:01
I bought a used 3MP camera off Ebay, works great and no huge monetary loss if it gets broken or soaked. I kept it in a ziploc in the pocket of my shorts. As someone else pointed out, when the views are socked in with clouds and rain there is not much need to take pictures.

As long as it is not dumping rain, you can whip out the camera and snap a few pictures without the thing getting too awfully wet. I took some wildlife pics when it was raining on my last trip.

I have a much better, higher MP camera, but I couldn't see carrying it because I paid so much for it. BTW, on both my camera and my hiking buddies camera something was taking the silver finish off the plastic casing. Best we could determine it was alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

orangebug
03-29-2005, 15:59
Do you mean LCD?Yup! That be what I meant.