PDA

View Full Version : AT Noob wants to know: How's my pack-list?

Owlbear
03-18-2012, 11:57
Long-time hiker, first-time backpacker. I am planning a section hike this summer, but have dreams of going for a full thru-hike one day. I have an extensive chart of all my planned gear listed below and would love to hear some input from some of you experienced trail-goers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuQ5EKwPD8YTdHhSY***QnhPZlhjbVl2amIwZXNCW VE&output=html
Google docs has been pretty buggy for me lately, so if the above link doesn't work you can try this alternate:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Q5EKwPD8YTckFKd05mbkNUUjZ0dWNpZjNQTm92dw/edit

It looks like I can get my base weight down to around 15 lbs, however a lot of my weights were obtained from websites, and sadly may not be the most accurate. Mostly, I just want to make sure I am being realistic as far as how much food/water I need to carry, and make sure I am not drastically underestimating some of these weights. (2.5lbs of food per day / 2.5 liters of water carrying capacity w/a 10L tote for camp)

Things to note:
- For the section hike, I will be traveling for about a week with at least 3, no more than 5 people, so the cooking gear, first aid and such can be divided up among us.
- I am considering an Ursack, but will most likely keep foodstuffs in a compression sack and keep it with me at night. (Most food will be taken out of original package and stored in bulk in ziplocs – not odor-proof but I'm hoping it will help)
- Am looking into making my own hammock, as long as it included a bug net and rainfly.

I really appreciate any input you can offer, thanks!

Firefighter503
03-18-2012, 12:02
I got an error with both links. Google all together seems to be buggy to me lately. Maybe try www.geargrams.com out.

Owlbear
03-18-2012, 13:09
Thanks for the heads up, not sure what's going on with Google docs lately. Threw together a quick and dirty pack list on geargrams: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6489

Firefighter503
03-18-2012, 13:24
Pad - Consider a Therm-a-rest NeoAir Regular for 0.5 oz more and way more comfort (in my opinion).
Mid layers - I would drop them personally. A base layer, and whatever you hike in should suffice.
Socks - Probably only need 2 pairs of hiking socks (I wear one pair until lunch, one pair until camp, and carry one pair for in camp).
Baseball Cap - Personal choice.
Lighter - Just go with a bic, and replace as needed.
Food Stuff - You wont need a pot, a mug, and a bowl more than likely. I would at least drop the bowl, and eat out of the pot. You can also make/drink hot chocolate or whatever right out of the pot as well to save a few more ounces.
Filtering water bottle - Drop it, you have plenty of carrying capacity between the 2 Gatorade bottles, and the 10L bucket. (I see you are looking for smaller capacity, 4-5L total should suffice at night, depends on your hydrating habits though).
Map/Compass - Won't need it. Just remember which way you turned off the trail at night for the shelter/camp.
Carabiners - Drop 4-5 of em. Keep one for flippy floppies if you are carrying them on the outside of your pack. One more for bearbag line. Can use either of those for anything else.
Toiletries - Drop soap (hostels/hotels will have), trowel (use your hiking poles), mirror. A few wet wipes are nice for longer sections between town, in a ziplock.

Food - 2 lbs is a realistic number for daily needs (dependent on the person)
Water - You will probably get comfortable carrying 1L between water sources, and cameling up at the source when you stop.

Hope that helps!

MuddyWaters
03-18-2012, 16:18
your list is a bit heavy.

get rid of the filter bottle
use trash compactor bag for liner is lighter
get rid of the carabiners
6oz for first aid is heavy
only take the pages you need for a section from the guidebook, bounce the rest
use razor blade instead of the knife
3 bandanas, really? why? get rid of 2 of them
do you really need the stuffsaks?
get rid of bowl
get rid of camp bucket
use mini bic lighter
get rid of mug, bring styrofoam coffee cup
get spectra cord, weighs 1.2 oz for 50'
too much toiletries weight. ditch mirror, trowel, razor. use minimal biodegradable liq soap.

4oz for ins card, driver license, cash and debit card? ?? No. the cars weigh 0.5 oz and all you need is a couple 20s too.