PDA

View Full Version : Underquilts - options?

Ender
03-28-2005, 17:09
OK, what with my tax returns being greater than I expected, I'm thinking about getting an underquilt for my HH. What's out there? How do they compare to each other? I only know of the Hennessey one, and the Nest. Don't know how either works.

I use my hammock in full 3 season weather, high mountains, and often the temp drops below 30*.

Thanks!

Ender

Smee
03-28-2005, 17:24
Hennessy does not make an under quilt. His super shelter is basically a silnyl bivy around the hammock. His system includes a thin pad that mounts between the shelter bottom and the hammock.

There are a couple of sets of plans available on the net if you want to make your own quilt. See thruhiker.

The only commercially available under quilt I am aware of is the Jacks 'R' Better Nest.

Regards,

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 19:10
I agree with Smee here. If you want a good underquilt that has a dual purpose, go for a JRB quilt.

Just Jeff
03-29-2005, 08:46
I agree with Smee here. If you want a good underquilt that has a dual purpose, go for a JRB quilt.
Thirded.

Or take a regular camping quilt and quilt it to the bottom.

Ender
03-29-2005, 11:10

Um... what's the dual purpose? Underquilt and what else?

I like the JRB quilt, but it's a bit heavy... do they make it out of lightweight .8oz nylon as a special order? That would save at least a little weight... I suppose I should just ask them...

Ender

SGT Rock
03-29-2005, 14:21
It serves as an insulation layer like a down vest, so it can serve as a quilt for the hammock when you are in bed. When you are out of bed in the evening or morning doing camp chores you have a warm insulation layer that you can take off before hiking when you are about to warm up. So instead of needing an extra layer when you are lounging around camp and doing chores, you just wear you underquilt.

Stumblefoot
03-29-2005, 20:45
Having bought the Nest in January, I have used it on several occasions. It's easy to attach to the HH and works great. I have used it as low as 33 degrees. One great point was that I didn't have to try to stay on a pad. I use a 15 degree SD Van Winkle like a quilt.