PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Ridge Trail / Fish Gap / Dixon Creek

NorthGA_Hiker
03-18-2012, 20:22
I am planning a trip on the Georgia loop trail this April. Basically starting at Woody Gap going North on the AT and then hitting the Duncan Ridge Trail. We are camping at Fish Gap on the 2nd night. Does anyone know how reliable the water at Dixon Creek is which is near Fish Gap? Just curious if we should plan on not having any water at this camp. Thanks a lot.

Blake

GAJethro
03-19-2012, 07:40
We went through that area last week. We didn't look for water near fish gap and I don't think that it is marked in that area. There was great water at Mulky just before there and we stopped at Sarvis Gap just after for lunch. Water was pretty good there too.

Dances with Mice
03-19-2012, 08:16
If you walk down the road - quite a ways - from Fish Gap a stream crosses the road. If Dixon Creek is in the hollow that forms Fish Gap then it would be a long bushwhack through a rhododendron thicket down to water. Better choices, as GAJethro said, is to either stop at Mulky or continue to Sarvis. Sarvis isn't far from Fish and it's a much nicer place to camp. Fish Gap is just a turn-around spot at the end of a road.

jduncan7998
03-19-2012, 11:09
I have hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail twice. Have any data books been produced on that trail?

Dances with Mice
03-19-2012, 13:35
I have hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail twice. Have any data books been produced on that trail?Yes, the 2012 Benton Mac Trail Guide (http://bmtguide.com/)includes the most recent data for the Duncan Ridge. The author hiked it with a GPS then made a map and profile using his data and on-site observations. So it includes what I used to call "new" relocations, campsites and water source information.

Then for a one-page trail guide there's always this.

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8770-Trail-Guide-to-Duncan-Ridge-Trail-and-other-stuff&p=904701&viewfull=1#post904701)

NorthGA_Hiker
03-19-2012, 17:51
Thanks for the good advice. Dances thanks for the link. Is there info on that site for the full DRT or only the section that overlaps w/ the BMT? Thanks.

NorthGA_Hiker
03-19-2012, 18:10
Just found it, disregard my last post. thanks a lot.