PDA

View Full Version : Looking for disposable cook bag to cook in...

JustADude
03-18-2012, 23:20
Anyone aware of a disposable cook bag?

Looking for something to put oatmeal or other stuff to cook in.

Just curious if there are pouches out there to cook in.

Thanks much.

MidTenn Trekker
03-18-2012, 23:48

Thanks much.

Try "Reynolds" Turkey bags. They work. We will use them at Philmont BSA ranch in July. No cleanup for your pots.

Maren
03-19-2012, 00:31
Packit Gourmet has cooking bags: http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html

shelb
03-19-2012, 01:07
Freezer bags with a cozy...

JustADude
03-20-2012, 10:18
Thanks much! I will be trying either the Packit Gourmet or the "Turkey" bags. Going to try it with Oatmeal and see how that turns out and then stores during the hike out.

Thanks again.

Nutbrown
03-20-2012, 10:33
just use a quart heavy duty ziplock. easy and cheap. Don't waste your money.

Miner
03-21-2012, 13:38
Use brand name freezer bags (NOT STORAGE BAGS or off brand bags unless you don't mind them not sealing or leaking). Many people do whats called freezer bag cooking with them (google it and you'll find a ton of info). You store your meals in freezer bags. When its time to eat, you add hot watter, wrap in a cozy to hold the heat in, and wait several minutes for it to cook. Eat with a spoon out of the bag (fork or spork can poke a hole in the bag).

leaftye
03-21-2012, 16:01
Freezer bags.

Spokes
03-21-2012, 18:54
Another vote for Frezer Bags.

grimtongue
03-21-2012, 18:57
I've been using freezer bags forever. Quart size.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk.

usshanebond12
06-08-2012, 19:34
Get Oven bags from any of your nearest restaurant supply store. It will reduce your clean-up time and helps cooking much faster.

Texasgrrl
11-04-2012, 20:37
Is there any concern of plastic leeching into the food when using boiling water in freezer bags?

Sole Sister
11-04-2012, 22:16
I used quart size freezer bags in insulated pouch for my '06 thru hike. I really liked having a clean pot and the ziplocs are readily accessible.

Rocket Jones
11-05-2012, 07:24
Is there any concern of plastic leeching into the food when using boiling water in freezer bags?

Nope. Good question, and it's been asked and answered many times before.

zelph
01-01-2013, 16:57

Thanks much.

Are you wanting to put the bag into your pot and boil the food in it? If so you need the "boilable bags" from packitgourmet.com The boilable ones are not resealable like "mountainhouse" meal bags.

karo
01-01-2013, 17:24
I would have to add that the quart freezer bags are the best choice and if you should google "freezer bag cooking" you will get a wealth of info. For oatmeal, I just use the pouch that the oatmeal comes in and make sure to stir the hot water into the corners, no clean up needed.

mtntopper
01-01-2013, 19:08
Ziploc makes some microwave steamer bags. They cost a little more than freezer bags and they seem to be a little thicker. I use both freezer bags and steamer bags when I can catch them on sale.

G-FOURce
01-01-2013, 19:12
i just kept a Mountain House bag and I rinse and reuse it.

Don H
01-02-2013, 08:18
Try "Reynolds" Turkey bags. They work. We will use them at Philmont BSA ranch in July. No cleanup for your pots.

MidTenn, I'm taking a crew to Philmont this year (July 2013) too. We were told all turkey bag or freezer bag cooking is banned there. In fact we were told the only accepted method is to dump all the dehydrated meal packs into an 8 qt. pot and add water. You might want to check into it.

Other sites for information on Philmont:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=52

http://philmontforum.com/cms2/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=147

As for what to cook in where you can do what you want (not Philmont) I use quart size Zip Lock Freezer Bags. I have had a few leaks so carry some spares. I like the freezer bag method. I repackage my food and leave all the bulky packaging behind and after eating put the rest of my trash in the bag. The only clean up is licking my spoon clean and then dipping it in the boiling water before my next meal. You will need some type of insulation to keep the contents warm while rehydrating, I wrap the freezer bag in a piece of windshield sunscreen. IMO it's far more sanitary than cooking in pots and having to try to clean them.

zelph
01-06-2013, 19:19

Thanks much.

I ordered a hundred aluminised pouches and began testing one of them today. After the test I took the bag from the boiling water and tried to have the weight of the 2 cups of water break the seals on the pouch. The edge and bottom seals remained intact.

Why the water in the bag did not come to a rolling boil I do not know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJE6x3JRHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJE6x3JRHo