PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hiking Budget

Saprogenic
03-19-2012, 15:14
I see most talks on budget includes food and hostel/motel stays. I've actually pre-purchased my food from http://wisefoodstorage.com/ , and I will not be spending a night outside of my hammock. I also have a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweL_bGP3tY Goal Zero solar panel, so I won't be needing replacement batteries. I've spent 2 years in the bush before, so I'm not concerned with needing that motel bed. My clothing is made to be hand washed and quck drying, I have 2 broken-in pair of boots, and my MSR Dromedary Bag doubles as a shower (yes I bought biodegradable soap). So other than the occasional burger craving and TP needs, what should I really need to budget for?

Spokes
03-19-2012, 15:31
Unless you're at total introvert, some of the best times are spent in town with members of your trail family. Moderation is best. Most folks save money sharing a motel room every now and then. Becoming a "town hound" eats money that's for sure. The lure of cold beer, burgers, and the Internet can be distracting.....

No matter what you decide to do, have a wonderful thru hike.

Cheers!

Maren
03-19-2012, 15:31
Postage for mail drops, gear replacements, medical emergencies, shuttles, transport to and from trail, and, yes hostels or motels (you never know when you might have to wait out a storm or illness).

Saprogenic
03-19-2012, 15:46
Visiting town, grabbing a hot meal, and socializing is a big difference from staying in motels and buying All of my food along the way. I do intend to have cash available for small cravings, and small things like postage, but that's not much. And I'm recieving food packages, not sending out mail each week. Say it takes me 5 months, I stop in town once a week. That's 20 times I'd visit town, say I spend $20 each visit on a say a burger and some small snacks, that's only $400. So having $1000 would be more than enough for wiggle room I'd think, no? I'm asking because I've never done the trail before.

Spokes
03-19-2012, 15:53
When planning my thru hike, I created a three ring binder complete with spreadsheets that listed my daily mileage, mail drops, expense projections, etc. It turned out to be obsolete after the first day on the trail.

So? Things to think about?

- Will you need to repair replace equipment along the way?
- What will you do if you miss a mail drop or the post office is closed and you're out of food?
- What happens if you become sick or injured and need a drugstore?
- What if you take a fancy to another hiker and fall in love?
- You get sick of all that food you pre-purchased and want something different?

Of course, you may be different and none of these apply.

Report back and let us all know how it worked for you.

kayak karl
03-19-2012, 16:07
have you tested the solar out under tree cover? i've had no luck hiking with solar, but on the kayak its great. looking at the food i was wondering what the calories are per day? or lbs. per day? a friend has stuff like that in his bomb (zombie) shelter.

ScottP
03-19-2012, 17:04
You'll need to have money in case anything goes wrong. It probably will--that's part of the nature of long hikes. Injury, illness, missed maildrop, etc.

It sounds like you've pre-bought everything you think will work. if you can make it work and nothing goes wrong, . Kinda big "if's"

$400 for town budget is plenty if you stick to your strategy (fruit and/or a budget restaurant visit per town stop) which is a great strategy--try to hit towns early in the day so you don't get 'stuck' in the evening. I'd reccomend plug in rechargers while you're in restaurants/town rather than a solar charger for the AT. YMMV

You need to get to and from the trail, and be able to live when you get off the trail. Depends on where you live.

Jeff
03-19-2012, 17:27
If you've not done a 5-6 month long distance hike, it's hard to realize how much food you will crave. For most hikers that hunger does not kick in for the first month or two. But, by month three you will think of nothing but food. It's rare for todays AT hikers to carry a weeks worth of food. That's why so many folks visit almost every town the trail passes near. And of course, even after you resupply your foodbag, it's hard to pass up restaurant you walk by.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 19:42
I see most talks on budget includes food and hostel/motel stays. I've actually pre-purchased my food from http://wisefoodstorage.com/ , and I will not be spending a night outside of my hammock. I also have a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweL_bGP3tY Goal Zero solar panel, so I won't be needing replacement batteries. I've spent 2 years in the bush before, so I'm not concerned with needing that motel bed. My clothing is made to be hand washed and quck drying, I have 2 broken-in pair of boots, and my MSR Dromedary Bag doubles as a shower (yes I bought biodegradable soap). So other than the occasional burger craving and TP needs, what should I really need to budget for? I have to what you are saying next year am planing to mail all my food to PO and going in town to pick up my supply and to get a bit to eat. Every now and then I will stop and get a room. It is my understanding a person can spend some money while in town. Am looking forward in my adventure next year but not going crazy while in town

Spokes
03-19-2012, 19:47
Hindsight is 20/20. If I had to do it over again I would seriously reduce my food drops to those places like Fontana Dam, Harpers Ferry, and Caratunk, ME just for convenience sake.

And yes you can hike the AT without doing any mail drops.

Blissful
03-19-2012, 20:50
Just do your clothes washing away from water sources.

As for money, better to have too much and have it left when you finish then too little and have to get off.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 22:42
Hindsight is 20/20. If I had to do it over again I would seriously reduce my food drops to those places like Fontana Dam, Harpers Ferry, and Caratunk, ME just for convenience sake.

And yes you can hike the AT without doing any mail drops. Well let me tap into "if you have to do it over again..." As am planing out my trip for next year for next year am planing to mail all my food to the PO. Right now my mind set is trying to keep my pack weight down, am looking about about 15lb as my base weight. Am hiking the JMT this summer to work out my gear and a few other things, now there is one point where I have about 8 to 9 day between resupply point. I will be starting off with 4 days of food between resupply point. I found out last year on the JMT that carrying allot of food slow me down and make it hard for me to climb up the passes. If you will to do over again how many days of food will you be carrying

Slo-go'en
03-20-2012, 00:48
Some times a long shower with ever lasting hot water is worth any price...

stranger
03-20-2012, 04:56
I'm not saying you will do this...however alot of hikers would end up tossing 70% of the food you have already paid for becuase it's either not suitable, or they would grow tired of it. You WILL go into town and spend MORE money than you think. How much? That's up to you.

Every night in a hammock? I'd bet against that, but I'm sure it's 'possible'. It's possible to win the lottery as well.

For a very fit, experienced and disciplined hiker, $1500 might, might get you through. For a first time hiker, I would say $2000-2500 minimum, just because you are going to spend alot of money you don't know about yet. Unless you have substantial long-distance experience already, you are going to spend money...you just don't know it yet.

In any case go for it, but give yourself a shot at success, and like it or not, hiking costs money.

Spokes
03-20-2012, 10:08
?.....If you will to do over again how many days of food will you be carrying

Edwardo, I averaged carrying only 3-4 days food depending on the section. You'll get pretty good at reading your guidebook and planning out how much food you need before the next re-supply point. It was always tough walking out of town with a full pack. My favorite trick was buying a deli sandwich or left over pizza when leaving town and eating that as my dinner the first night back on the trail. Yum!

BTW, congratulations on your 15 lb base weight pack. Sounds like your system is coming together nicely.

Cheers!

nufsaid
03-20-2012, 10:15
I see most talks on budget includes food and hostel/motel stays. I've actually pre-purchased my food from http://wisefoodstorage.com/ , and I will not be spending a night outside of my hammock. I also have a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jweL_bGP3tY Goal Zero solar panel, so I won't be needing replacement batteries. I've spent 2 years in the bush before, so I'm not concerned with needing that motel bed. My clothing is made to be hand washed and quck drying, I have 2 broken-in pair of boots, and my MSR Dromedary Bag doubles as a shower (yes I bought biodegradable soap). So other than the occasional burger craving and TP needs, what should I really need to budget for?

How does that wise food taste? Have you tried it for several months nonstop? Hopefully it is delicious. I am curious and would like to hear you opinion after you finish your hike.

Tom Murphy
03-20-2012, 12:01

Come on, this question was really just an excuse for you to be able to write about how awesomely self-sufficient and pure your hike will be.

Go try to replicate Andrew's Yukon Hike. Oh wait, there wouldn't be any pack mules or partiers to feel superior to.

What a tool.

Saprogenic
03-20-2012, 19:25
Come on, this question was really just an excuse for you to be able to write about how awesomely self-sufficient and pure your hike will be.

Go try to replicate Andrew's Yukon Hike. Oh wait, there wouldn't be any pack mules or partiers to feel superior to.

What a tool.

Not sure what your talking about. The reason I wrote what I did is because I see a lot posts where people ask for more information to answer the question. And I've tried the Wise, it's impressively good. I've had other brands like Mountain House, but honestly, if I didn't know it was dehydrated/freeze-dried, I would never have guessed. I emailed them for a free sample first. I went with the long term storage packages instead of the boil-in-bag ones just because the packages are more compact. 2 servings is filling. And they come as sets, giving you some of everything, and they do have a good variety, don't see myself getting sick of it.

turtle fast
03-21-2012, 12:40
Wow that is a lot of mail drops for food....just the price of shipping you your food to places along the way is costly. You can still do it but it would of been cheaper to buy your food along the way. Realistically you need $1500- $2500 if you are not staying at hostels or spending a lot on town stops. You have to factor gear breaking down, footwear to be replaced, hitches where help on gas money is requested (especially with gas prices going through the roof), toilet paper, etc, etc, etc. You will also crave a real shower...along with copious amounts of foods and beverages.

SCRUB HIKER
03-21-2012, 18:48

I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it. The post is 95% "blah blah blah I've got this stuff figured out" followed by a token question that he should already know the answer to if he's been reading about budgets. It's essentially goading people into expressing doubt at his hardiness or applauding the extent of his forethought or both at the same time. Either way, it's not structured toward a discussion that's going to help the other 99% of people who don't plan on thru-hiking that way.

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 13:22
I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it. The post is 95% "blah blah blah I've got this stuff figured out" followed by a token question that he should already know the answer to if he's been reading about budgets. It's essentially goading people into expressing doubt at his hardiness or applauding the extent of his forethought or both at the same time. Either way, it's not structured toward a discussion that's going to help the other 99% of people who don't plan on thru-hiking that way.

Wow! You guys have some serious personal issues. You know what, you caught me. I wanted to make sure a couple of random strangers who I doubt I'll ever come across in real life knew that I'm so awesome because I described my question thoroughly. That's exactly what I was going for. I didn't want to ask an honest question, I just wanted you to think I'm cool...

"Either way, it's not structured toward a discussion that's going to help the other 99% of people who don't plan on thru-hiking that way."

So sorry I had a personal question, not serving everyone else that visits this site.
What the hell is wrong with you people? Why don't you get a life as opposed to sitting online bad mouthing others, making yourself look like a complete dick.

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 13:27
I love how one forum disscussion is start to barrade others on how dumb they are for not being properly prepared. And here I am, asking an honest question, giving you reasons why I asked it, yet you give me crap for being prepared or as you said "applauding the extent of his forethought". Yeah, and I'm the tool.

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 13:34
You guys do realize that not everyone is a prima donna, needing that soft mattress each night, and eating like a pregnant woman craving everything. I'd tell you that I know for fact it's Not a problem for Me, but you'll think I'm lying or trying to act 'cool'. So glad I came this this website. I keep hearing that everyone on the trail are great people. but if your the people that are hiking the trail, I'd have to call Bull. You guys are the farthest thing from decent.

kayak karl
03-22-2012, 13:50
you asked a question, you got answers. not the ones you wanted i'm sure. looks like 99.9% of the hikers are wrong. hope your way works. it is more expensive (food, shipping and trips to pick it up.), but you are convinced it is the best. where is your blog for the hike. would love to follow it.

DaSchwartz
03-22-2012, 14:02
Good luck on the solar thing to work. Personally, I think it's cheaper and lighter just to buy the batteries on the way.. That is, if you need batteries at all, for decades people hiked without electronic toys. But I wish you the best in your hike.

SCRUB HIKER
03-22-2012, 14:28
The scene: Hot Springs, NC. A sweltering afternoon in early May. A lone, weary hiker cuts a pathetic profile trudging out of the woods past the verdant front lawns on the west side of town. An grand old house with a HIKERS WELCOME sign beckons him from a distance. "F--k me," the man mutters to himself in a thick New Jersey brogue. "I'm already down to 10 bucks and it's gotta last til next Sunday." That furtive and gloriously unplanned Oreo bubble-bath binge in the motel in Gatlinburg had really sent his finances in the wrong direction. Down the garden path. Down a .3-mile steep blue-blaze ending at a dry spring covered in bear scat. Oh well. He would have to bypass the vulgar luxury of town yet again. Practice for the next 1900 miles, he assured himself.

If only I had a good hiking friend, he reflects. One who was as hardy and tough and all-around badass as me. But alas, there had been that blow-up at Standing Bear when his best buddy had made the polite suggestion that they splurge on a few otter pops. Really, how could that guy have had the gumption? I thought we had shared a common ethic! Of Spartan ruggedness, of the most pure asceticism! And then there was the charming hiker-chick in Franklin who had been getting on well with him, until she joked that his trail name might be a little arcane for the masses. Boy, had he blown his lid then. He sort of regretted it.

But he knows that ship has sailed--and, what's more, he still has to find a spigot and a low-hanging branch for the setup of his Dromedary shower system--a particularly ingenious design, he commends himself once again. As he scans the few buildings in his vicinity, his eyes descry a most arresting scene, off in the distance through the stagnant spring air. A band of happy hikers, sitting in front of their Alpine Court Motel double, a few beers in their hands, TV flickering in the dark background of their room, clothes laid out to dry on the pavement, smiles ... yes, smiles and laughter spread all over their faces. A debate rages in the lone hiker's head, but it's about as one-sided as the elections in his hometown always turned out to be. On the one side is the belief, severely crippled by a few short weeks of experience, that all these weaklings, these libertines surrounding him--and what's more, those loathsome Mongoloids on WhiteBlaze--are truly a lower form of humanity whose company must be eschewed entirely. On the other side is the suspicion, which started as a whisper in Hiawassee and has strengthened now to a deafening roar--that maybe, maybe all those people have a point.

He saunters almost apologetically to the merry band in front of the motel. "How you doin'?" he asks, eyes downcast. "Mind sharin' one of those beeahs with me?"

"This one's all yours!" a friendly tanned and bearded face responds. "Cheers!"

And with that, Saprogenic's thru-hike truly began. The end.

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 20:20
So I guess that phrase "Hike Your Own Hike" has no meaning for you guys? Good luck with your childs play, I'm going out camping.

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 20:23
Good luck on the solar thing to work. Personally, I think it's cheaper and lighter just to buy the batteries on the way.. That is, if you need batteries at all, for decades people hiked without electronic toys. But I wish you the best in your hike.

My Headlamp! and phone to call for mail drop....

Saprogenic
03-22-2012, 20:25
you asked a question, you got answers. not the ones you wanted i'm sure. looks like 99.9% of the hikers are wrong. hope your way works. it is more expensive (food, shipping and trips to pick it up.), but you are convinced it is the best. where is your blog for the hike. would love to follow it.

Nothing is definite yet. I've already cut my pack size in half before coming here, thought I'd get more advice, not bull**** sarcasm.

kythruhiker
03-22-2012, 20:32
My Headlamp! and phone to call for mail drop....

The green tunnel you'll be hiking through the majority of the time is going to render solar charging almost useless, imo. Probably get enough juice to keep an LED headlamp functional, but not sure about recharging a cell phone. Best of luck.

rocketsocks
05-28-2012, 00:47
So I guess that phrase "Hike Your Own Hike" has no meaning for you guys? Good luck with your childs play, I'm going out camping.Don't forget your permits.

RED-DOG
05-29-2012, 18:34
on my Flip-flop in 96 i totally bought all my food at stores on the trail and did the same in 2006, i had some mail drops this year but gave them up in tennesse and started buying on trail, that way is a lot fater less hassle and you have alot more freedom, i go in town once a week and get six days of food, my budget for this year is around seven thousand thats probably way much it can be done on a lot less. RED-DOG:welcome

WIAPilot
05-29-2012, 19:06
I know that you are self-sufficient, but you might want to consider a little more of a cushion. If you go into town and have a few beers and a huge meal and maybe a shower and a little fuel, you are probably looking at least at $40. If you do that once a week over a 5 month period, you are at about $850. That is not counting if you want to stop for ice cream or a few sodas or you need to replace some equipment. I wouldn't think of going off with less than $1500 and that would be without factoring in ANY hotels or hotels. Hey, you don't have to spend it, but it will be awfully nice to have it if you need it.

flemdawg1
05-30-2012, 16:52

What exactly do you mean by "2 years in the bush"? Because its one thing to not have something available to you and just suck it up. But another thing completely to have something you like/want nearly constantly available and having the will power to not indulge ever. (i.e. you cross the road right by a convenience store, its 95 degrees, your stomach's growling (you can't get 6k calories in Freeze Dried food), and just 25 ft away is ice cold gatorade, deli sandwiches and ice cream.) (And yes you might not eat like a prego elephant NOW, but do you walk 15-20 miles everyday over mountains?)

Hot showers and laundry machines do much better job of getting you and your clothes clean than campsuds and cold water. And after 3-4 days of hot sticky weather, you're going to be more ripe smelling than hand washing can deal with. Maildrops shipping is also pretty expensive (about $15 for a week's worth of food), plus the hassle of dealing w/ PO hours (many smaller ones are closed all weekend).

Spending happens, you're on a vacation, and there's no prize or enlightment to be had by living like Robinson Crusoe.
Not saying you can't do it, (there have been more than afew moocher trail hermits) but why limit yourself, or worse, set yourself up for failure that can be avoided by listening to those who have hike the AT alot.

Saprogenic
05-30-2012, 20:12
Don't forget your permits.

I admit, this have me a chuckle...

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 20:23
I admit, this have me a chuckle...Oh good,then your gonna love my other reply to your post.:DI'll meet ya there,ready GO!

Saprogenic
05-30-2012, 20:29
What exactly do you mean by "2 years in the bush"? Because its one thing to not have something available to you and just suck it up. But another thing completely to have something you like/want nearly constantly available and having the will power to not indulge ever. (i.e. you cross the road right by a convenience store, its 95 degrees, your stomach's growling (you can't get 6k calories in Freeze Dried food), and just 25 ft away is ice cold gatorade, deli sandwiches and ice cream.) (And yes you might not eat like a prego elephant NOW, but do you walk 15-20 miles everyday over mountains?)

Hot showers and laundry machines do much better job of getting you and your clothes clean than campsuds and cold water. And after 3-4 days of hot sticky weather, you're going to be more ripe smelling than hand washing can deal with. Maildrops shipping is also pretty expensive (about $15 for a week's worth of food), plus the hassle of dealing w/ PO hours (many smaller ones are closed all weekend).

Spending happens, you're on a vacation, and there's no prize or enlightment to be had by living like Robinson Crusoe.
Not saying you can't do it, (there have been more than afew moocher trail hermits) but why limit yourself, or worse, set yourself up for failure that can be avoided by listening to those who have hike the AT alot.

The reason I chose to go with the pre bought food was even with shipping, it's still overall cheaper, and work died down so funding was budgeted. Hey, if I had $10,000 handy to take I would just incase, but I don't. The idea asking the original question was because I can't afford spending $3-$5,000 buying food from the town stores, I could still take the trip if I went this option. So I asked if I was just missing something or if that number I was seeing was mostly spent on motels and food resupplies. It's kind of crazy on here isn't it? I've never been on a forum or chat site before I stared to plan this trip, and everytime I speak on here I get portrayed as a high-and-mighty, better than everyone kind of snob. Defintely different talking to people online.

rocketsocks
05-30-2012, 20:39
The reason I chose to go with the pre bought food was even with shipping, it's still overall cheaper, and work died down so funding was budgeted. Hey, if I had $10,000 handy to take I would just incase, but I don't. The idea asking the original question was because I can't afford spending $3-$5,000 buying food from the town stores, I could still take the trip if I went this option. So I asked if I was just missing something or if that number I was seeing was mostly spent on motels and food resupplies. It's kind of crazy on here isn't it? I've never been on a forum or chat site before I stared to plan this trip, and everytime I speak on here I get portrayed as a high-and-mighty, better than everyone kind of snob. Defintely different talking to people online.Ah yes it is now....ooh ah!:)

Odd Man Out
05-30-2012, 20:40
I was checking out the Wise Company web site from the OP. These meals come in mylar zip pouches for what is essentially freezer bag cooking. A typical "serving" has 240 calories and 1000 mg of sodium (2 to 4 servings per pouch). There are 8 different entrees, 2 soups, and 3 breakfast items.

I crunched some numbers. Let's assume he needs 4000 calories per day. If he buys they 1440 serving variety pack, that will give him 240 lbs of food with a total of 351600 Calories. Figuring on 3000 Calories per day, this is 117 days of food, or just short of 4 months. As he won't be staying in town, he should be able to keep up this brisk pace. To get his 3000 Cal, he will need to eat about 12 servings or 2.05 lbs food per day. The cost for this is $2450 plus $175 shipping (to NJ). Let's assume he does about 1 mail drop per week (17 total) and each package costs $14 to mail. That's a total cost of $2863 which come out to $24.43/day or $11.93/pound for food.

HYOH

P.S. - By the way, the phrase "biodegradable soap" is redundant as all soap is biodegradable.

RedBeerd
05-30-2012, 20:54
I search really really hard before asking questions here because im afraid of the answers :P

Saprogenic
05-30-2012, 21:07
I was checking out the Wise Company web site from the OP. These meals come in mylar zip pouches for what is essentially freezer bag cooking. A typical "serving" has 240 calories and 1000 mg of sodium (2 to 4 servings per pouch). There are 8 different entrees, 2 soups, and 3 breakfast items.

I crunched some numbers. Let's assume he needs 4000 calories per day. If he buys they 1440 serving variety pack, that will give him 240 lbs of food with a total of 351600 Calories. Figuring on 3000 Calories per day, this is 117 days of food, or just short of 4 months. As he won't be staying in town, he should be able to keep up this brisk pace. To get his 3000 Cal, he will need to eat about 12 servings or 2.05 lbs food per day. The cost for this is $2450 plus $175 shipping (to NJ). Let's assume he does about 1 mail drop per week (17 total) and each package costs $14 to mail. That's a total cost of $2863 which come out to $24.43/day or $11.93/pound for food.

HYOH

P.S. - By the way, the phrase "biodegradable soap" is redundant as all soap is biodegradable.

You did all that to prove me dumb? Sweet! Since you mentioned it, I was figuring 2 servings per meal, one meal for breakfast, one for dinner, making 4 servings a day. Then lunch and snacks would be picked up in local shops along the way. I was just trying to save money in order to still make the trip. I apoligze that my way is not to your liking, or that bringing it up seemed to cause so much drama. I just didn't want my sudden lack of funds to stop me from taking the trip, and thought this would be the perfect place to ask. My mistake.

WIAPilot
05-30-2012, 21:18
I think that there is a big difference in having $1500-$2000 set aside and having $10,000 set aside. I think that $20 for a meal and some snacks is a really low estimate. Most of the trail towns are more expensive and I think the meal, shower, and fuel, as I said previously, is probably going to cost you more like $40. Up North, it will probably be like $60. If you throw in some snacks, you are looking at $20-$25 more.

And if it rains for 21 days out of 30 like it did recently, you may NEED to stay at a hostel just to dry your tent out so that it doesn't mildew.

This may be a once in a lifetime trip. Do you really want to have to worry about every dollar or every meal? You are already planning on no hostels, I just think you should double your budget and realistically ENJOY your trip! As I said in the beginning, $2000 is not $10,000 and it can mean the difference between a great trip and one that is rather sparse.

Rocket Jones
05-30-2012, 21:19
HYOH means "Hike Your Own Hike"

People on this forum want you to enjoy your hike, but every time someone offers a viewpoint that you don't want to hear you get snippy. You don't have to heed every bit of advice, but listening and thinking about how it might apply to your style without taking it personal could go a long way to helping you have a successful trip.

Saprogenic
05-30-2012, 21:43
Offerng a viewpoint is one thing, but ths is what I got...

Unless you're at total introvert,

What a tool.

looks like 99.9% of the hikers are wrong. hope your way works.

The scene: Hot Springs, NC. A sweltering afternoon in early May. A lone, weary hiker cuts a pathetic profile trudging out of the woods past the verdant front lawns on the west side of town. An grand old house with a HIKERS WELCOME sign beckons him from a distance. "F--k me," the man mutters to himself in a thick New Jersey brogue. "I'm already down to 10 bucks and it's gotta last til next Sunday." That furtive and gloriously unplanned Oreo bubble-bath binge in the motel in Gatlinburg had really sent his finances in the wrong direction. Down the garden path. Down a .3-mile steep blue-blaze ending at a dry spring covered in bear scat. Oh well. He would have to bypass the vulgar luxury of town yet again. Practice for the next 1900 miles, he assured himself.

If only I had a good hiking friend, he reflects. One who was as hardy and tough and all-around badass as me. But alas, there had been that blow-up at Standing Bear when his best buddy had made the polite suggestion that they splurge on a few otter pops. Really, how could that guy have had the gumption? I thought we had shared a common ethic! Of Spartan ruggedness, of the most pure asceticism! And then there was the charming hiker-chick in Franklin who had been getting on well with him, until she joked that his trail name might be a little arcane for the masses. Boy, had he blown his lid then. He sort of regretted it.

But he knows that ship has sailed--and, what's more, he still has to find a spigot and a low-hanging branch for the setup of his Dromedary shower system--a particularly ingenious design, he commends himself once again. As he scans the few buildings in his vicinity, his eyes descry a most arresting scene, off in the distance through the stagnant spring air. A band of happy hikers, sitting in front of their Alpine Court Motel double, a few beers in their hands, TV flickering in the dark background of their room, clothes laid out to dry on the pavement, smiles ... yes, smiles and laughter spread all over their faces. A debate rages in the lone hiker's head, but it's about as one-sided as the elections in his hometown always turned out to be. On the one side is the belief, severely crippled by a few short weeks of experience, that all these weaklings, these libertines surrounding him--and what's more, those loathsome Mongoloids on WhiteBlaze--are truly a lower form of humanity whose company must be eschewed entirely. On the other side is the suspicion, which started as a whisper in Hiawassee and has strengthened now to a deafening roar--that maybe, maybe all those people have a point.

He saunters almost apologetically to the merry band in front of the motel. "How you doin'?" he asks, eyes downcast. "Mind sharin' one of those beeahs with me?"

"This one's all yours!" a friendly tanned and bearded face responds. "Cheers!"

And with that, Saprogenic's thru-hike truly began. The end.

Shall I continue?

Cookerhiker
05-30-2012, 21:58
Since you're resupplying exclusively through maildrops and not staying in any hostels or motels, be mindful of the point FlemDawg made previously: if you reach a town about 1 PM on a Saturday, you'll have to wait until Monday morning until the PO opens. If you're out of food at that point, you'll have to spend something in town at least for meals. Or to avoid that, always carry an extra day or 2 worth of food.

And of course you'll have to get back on the trail, find a place to camp Sat. & Sun. nights, return to town for all your meals which strikes me as a hassle.

So you may want to consider sending your maildrops to those hostels who accept them for non-staying guests in which case you'll pay them a fee to hold your package but it's better than hanging around 2 extra nights.

WIAPilot
05-30-2012, 22:05
Since you're resupplying exclusively through maildrops and not staying in any hostels or motels, be mindful of the point FlemDawg made previously: if you reach a town about 1 PM on a Saturday, you'll have to wait until Monday morning until the PO opens. If you're out of food at that point, you'll have to spend something in town at least for meals. Or to avoid that, always carry an extra day or 2 worth of food.

And of course you'll have to get back on the trail, find a place to camp Sat. & Sun. nights, return to town for all your meals which strikes me as a hassle.

So you may want to consider sending your maildrops to those hostels who accept them for non-staying guests in which case you'll pay them a fee to hold your package but it's better than hanging around 2 extra nights.

Good suggestion! Especially since they are going to be cutting the hrs of the small post offices soon.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2012, 23:35
You did all that to prove me dumb? Sweet! Since you mentioned it, I was figuring 2 servings per meal, one meal for breakfast, one for dinner, making 4 servings a day. Then lunch and snacks would be picked up in local shops along the way. I was just trying to save money in order to still make the trip. I apoligze that my way is not to your liking, or that bringing it up seemed to cause so much drama. I just didn't want my sudden lack of funds to stop me from taking the trip, and thought this would be the perfect place to ask. My mistake.

I did this so that all people could make informed decisions and then suggested that everyone should hike their own hike. I have never (that I can recall) on this or any forum been anything but polite and professional (not counting an occasional poor attempt at humor).

Happy Trails:)

Sweetspot
05-31-2012, 10:57
My experience is no matter how you planned to hike your hike it will change almost everyday. Go to AWOL web page and he has a list of all the PO hours. It will be helpful to know if you have to pick up your pace to get there before it closes. I called for a shuttle into Franklin and it cost me $20.00 I have not stayed in a hostel yet. I have met hikers that have had mail drops as you are going to do and I have met hikers who have resupplied in town. If you are disciplined with your money, hike etc you will be fine. you will learn as you go what will fit you best. Just don't mail all your food before you leave. i would also leave the solar charger at home you are not likely to see the sun. Also some places that you think you will call for a shuttle will have no service. Its best to call from on top of mountain then wait till you get in the gap. Verizon works the best. Hike your own hike. The trail will tell you how you are doing. Keep posting on how the mail drops worked out for you.

RED-DOG
05-31-2012, 11:32
Saprogenic; double your budget i am in Hanover N.H doing a Thru and take every body's advice to heart when you cross the Maryland line every thing and i really do mean every thing doubles in price you need to figure between 2.50-3.00 a mile and that's no joke. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 GA-ME 06 and again in 2012 ) good luck to you and happy trails.:dance

AngryGerman
06-01-2012, 13:05
I did this so that all people could make informed decisions and then suggested that everyone should hike their own hike. I have never (that I can recall) on this or any forum been anything but polite and professional (not counting an occasional poor attempt at humor).

Happy Trails:)

Yes I am new here and yes I have spent copious amounts of time here in researching my 2012 SOBO thru hike way... before I became a member and if I may say; Odd Man Out is that pure gentlemen you rarely come across so inclosing; burning that bridge would be a big mistake as we live in a small world where help when needed is so hard to come by!

Live a life filled with good Karma by practicing great Karma.

katz walk
06-01-2012, 13:53
medical supplies & vitamins

Winds
06-01-2012, 14:46
Saprogenic,

There are a great number of tools that seem to know everything here. Of 38,000+ members in WhiteBlaze, they are the vocal minority. It’s a shame online “know-it-alls” dominate here as it keeps a great many good folks quiet and lurking, afraid to participate. I know many who won’t post here, and some who’ve left altogether because of some of the vocal minority’s behavior similar to what you’ve experienced in this thread.

Regarding your original post, and to answer your initial question, I attached what I’ve come up with so far:

...what should I really need to budget for?

List of What MAY Cost $$$ DURING a Thru-hike:
(A work-in-progress)

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing (new)
Clothing repairs
Emergencies (health, family/friend, etc.)
First aide supplies (sun screen, mole skin, anti-septic, etc...)
Food
Fuel
Gear (new or replacement)
Gear repairs
Hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.)
Laundry services / supplies
Lodging (hotels, hostels, campsites, cabins, shelters, lean-tos / permits)
Mail drops (receiving) incoming supplies/food
Mailing bounce boxes, supplies home, postcards, gifts, etc...
Maps
Phone card / cell phone charges
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles
Town entertainment (movie, alcohol, etc.)

(Anyone with additions, please do share!)

Hike on!
~ Mark

WIAPilot
06-01-2012, 15:14
Saprogenic,

There are a great number of tools that seem to know everything here. Of 38,000+ members in WhiteBlaze, they are the vocal minority. It’s a shame online “know-it-alls” dominate here as it keeps a great many good folks quiet and lurking, afraid to participate. I know many who won’t post here, and some who’ve left altogether because of some of the vocal minority’s behavior similar to what you’ve experienced in this thread.

Regarding your original post, and to answer your initial question, I attached what I’ve come up with so far:

(A work-in-progress)

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing (new)
Clothing repairs
Food
Fuel
Gear repairs
Maps
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Hike on!
~ Mark

I agree with this post so much. WB can be brutal. And it makes me really ashamed that several weeks ago, I called another hiker - a first-timer, "Mr. Moocher." I should have been able to convey my views without any name calling. So here and now, I am officially apologizing to him.

I thought everyone was kind of hard of Saprogenic as well. I don't know if Chris is a he or she, but I sent a PM to kind of say, "hang in there" - but who knows if they are still on WB or not.

I really think a $400 estimate is much too low, but you can only say so much. I like what Winds wrote. I think another category should be WEATHER. There are many times that you need to dry out your gear or if there is a weather emergency, this may cause a hiker to HAVE to stay in a hostel.

Also, I don't think that Odd Man Out was trying "to prove you dumb." I think he was simply trying to rationally back up what he was stating.

Cookerhiker
06-01-2012, 15:23
Good list

Saprogenic,

...Mark

For sure WB has a fair number of pack-sniffing, cyber-hiking trolls and I don't doubt that some members have left or don't participate because of this phenomenon. But I think most of the WBers responding to this thread are experienced hikers and/or offer knowlegable, well-meaning good-faith advice. I didn't say "all" but "most."

Bobby
06-01-2012, 20:09
Saprogenic,

(A work-in-progress)

ATM Charges
Batteries
Clothing (new)
Clothing repairs
Food
Fuel
Gear repairs
Maps
Restaurants
Showers
Shuttles

Hike on!
~ Mark

Yeah - I agree with pretty much everything written here.

People are much friendlier in person - it's easy to be rude and sassy on the internet - sometimes people do it without even meaning to do it.

To the OP - The reason people reacted the way they did is because about a 1/2 dozen people get on here every year saying and asking the same thing - what most responders have learned is that the posters don't like to hear responses that don't fit their preconceived notions.

Here it goes – you can do what ever you want. And theoretically you could hike the trail for free if you wanted to – a guy just traveled from Germany to Antarctica without a penny in his pocket to begin with - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10807623

But – and here it is – most people don’t do it that way regardless of what they think and plan for.

The AT is not a wilderness experience – it is just as much a social experience as it is anything else.

There are lots and lots of opportunities to spend money - more than you can imagine.

Most people can’t or do not want to miss out on that part.

That is what people are trying to tell you

Only you know what kind of person you are

If you have cable, a phone, a car and perhaps indulge in the normal trappings of a civilized life, you most likely will not be living the live of an Ascetic.

Bobby
06-01-2012, 20:12
live of an ascetic...on the trail!

Winds
06-01-2012, 20:38
Kathy, hostels and emergencies are listed.

What I added though is:
Insect Products (Premethrin, Picaridin, DEET, etc)
as that needs it's own line item for understanding I think.

Anything else I am missing folks?
Thanks!

Don H
06-01-2012, 21:17
I've never tried the Wise brand but have heard it is very good.
It will most certainly cost more than buying at stores along the way.
Mail drops are a PIA.
Your choices of food might change during your hike.
A few mail drops make sense since there are some towns where getting to a store is a challenge.

Enjoy your hike.