PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker T?

SylvanHiker
03-19-2012, 16:02
I'm pretty much sold on the idea of merino wool shirts for my thru hike. The Icebreaker long sleeve bodyfit 260 looks like it would meet my needs for a long sleeve shirt. There are just so many options though. Does anyone have experience with specific long or short sleeved Icebreaker (or other merino wool) shirts?

ChinMusic
03-19-2012, 16:16
I have worn Icebreaker Hoppers for years, winter, spring, summer, fall. The range of comfort for nearly any temperature is amazing. Many think "hot, hot, hot" to wear wool in the summer. Not true with merino wool. In conditions where I've been wet during cold weather, it's hard to tell you are wet, as the wool doesn't seem to feel cold/wet.

Now merino wool takes longer to dry than synthetics but to me that means nearly nothing. An added bonus with merino wool is that it is nearly impossible to make them stink......I've tried. I wear merino wool socks year long too (work and play). My tennis shoes hardly have any smell either......an amazing material.

Icebreaker no long makes the Hopper from what I see. I'm sure they make one just like it and have changed the name. I just haven't looked into it too much.

Since you like the 260, I would get a thinner short sleeve and you are set.

kidchill
03-19-2012, 16:21
I tend to run hot, especially while hiking. I ordered an LS and an SS 150 as a trial for my thru-hike. I totally dig 'em and bought an extra set of each! I did order a bodyfit and it was way too tight, think compression tight...I ordered medium as I wear my shirts a little on the tight side anyways. The LS weighs in at 4-4.5oz and the SS weighs in at 3-3.5oz. I have the exact numbers, but it's written down somewhere not handy at the moment.

WillyStyle
03-19-2012, 16:31
I have worn Patagonia's wool shirts. They have three levels of warmth: 2, 3, and 4.
The 4 is too warm for me in any activity, but cozy for sitting still or lying down. Thin fleece thickness.
The 3 is a great layer for skiing/touring in December, January and February in Vermont. Regular cotton shirt thickness.
The 2 is very thin (my chest hair will stick through it) and I have worn the long sleeve version for fall/spring hiking in the Whites and the short sleeve version for all seasons, usually in summer I hike top-free and the wool shirt is great for layering up or eating lunch up high, but if I wear it for strap chaffing protection it gets warm.
Wool 3 has lasted 4 seasons of winter and is now starting to fall apart.
The 2's have been full of holes and rips for 2 of 4 years but I still find excuse to wear them.
I can't imagine hiking in the wool 3. I mean I can imagine it, it is hot and sweaty.
I will be trying to get a wool 1 T for my hike. I haven't used the 1 but it looks like a wool/polyester blend for warmer conditions.
I recommend Patagonia because if I feel like these shirts should have lasted more than 4 years, then they will replace them without question.
Does anyone think 2-4 years is an unreasonable lifespan for a hiking shirt?

WillyStyle
03-19-2012, 16:55
I see now that Patagonia is blending wool with polyester (at least for the 1 and 2). They are saying it is more durable. I don't know if that is as good as 100% merino. The icebreaker stuff looks really nice too.

SylvanHiker
03-19-2012, 19:54
Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'll look into your suggestions. Keep 'em comin!

Wags
03-20-2012, 00:10
i use a long sleeve 200 weight icebreaker on days when i expect temps to be a little on the cool side. perfect weight.

protip: a long sleeve can become a short sleeve by rolling up the sleeves :D

bigcranky
03-20-2012, 21:08
Gack, the 260 is really heavy, at least for me. Way to heavy to hike in, unless the temps are very cold. (By heavy, I mean too warm, but it's also kinda heavy...)

The 150-g/m2 is just about perfect as a long sleeve base layer for cold weather hiking. The 150 wt short sleeve is my warm weather shirt.

handlebar
03-20-2012, 21:48
Wore smartwool T all the way on the AT and Icebreaker bodyfit 150 on the CDT. No smell. They do seem to wear out a little faster than the Smartwool but I still prefer the Icebreaker.

SylvanHiker
03-20-2012, 23:07
Handlebar, the Icebreaker Ts wear out quickly but they still lasted the whole trail?

QiWiz
03-21-2012, 10:20
I love Icebreaker stuff. The 260 weight would be great for winter as a base layer but way too warm (and somewhat heavy) for an entire thru. I would consider having a lighter weight (less thick) short sleeve and long sleeve top that you can wear individually or together as conditions change.