PDA

View Full Version : Marmot PreCip vs. Mtn Hardware Epic

inavacuum
03-19-2012, 18:36
I've always heard good things about the PreCip but found a Mountain Hardware Epic for about $50 cheaper on Campmor.

I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has owned or worn them both.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24180

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___54163

swjohnsey
03-19-2012, 18:48
The Mountain Hardware is 40% heavier.

ljcsov
03-20-2012, 08:56
The precip is a proven jacket, hands down. However, the epic will probably do the job as well. If cost is your concern, as it is often mine, look at sierratradingpost.com and apply a coupon. I believe they have the precip on there in a multitude of colors and with a coupon you can get the price down to around $50. Personally, I own the Venture by TNF but I recently picked up a precip for my gf. The construction of the jacket is fantastic and I doubt that you will be disapointed.

jcreamer
03-20-2012, 09:19
I have a precip and it is an excellent jacket. Very well put together, light enough and tough. For my growing son, I purchased the campmor youth jacket (they offer the identical jacket for adults as well). It stuffs in its own pocket, which the precip does not. He has abused the heck out of that jacket and it is still going strong. Still waterproof after almost three years of being crammed down in a pack, stepped on, pulled on, and just about anything else you can name. Still love my precip, but if I was buying again, I would have to think hard about the "generic" campmor jacket. The price is especially good when you find it on sale at campmor. JMO. Good luck.

kayak karl
03-20-2012, 09:27
i have found mountain hardware gear runs longer (if you are tall)

nevergoshort
03-20-2012, 11:04
I haven't used the Epic pant but have other MH shell pants and I like the fit (more athletic) of those vs. the Marmot's. The PreCip is also available in a full zip pant which is extremely convenient. As said above the Marmot's are lighter, if that's a consideration. Also check the pocket configuration and make sure that works for you. Some of these shells don't have pockets etc. They are both 2.5 layer proprietary wp/b fabrics, so pretty much a toss-up there...

q-tip
03-20-2012, 12:58
The Marmot Mica is 7 oz. and works well layered up.

turtle fast
03-21-2012, 12:57
Precip...proven, good for layering under...has pockets located higher for access while wearing a hip belt. It also helps to have when you are wearing your rain gear while every other lick of clothing you got is in the wash.

Chaco Taco
03-26-2012, 13:09
The precip, you get what you pay for. Its a great jacket but will breakdown after about 2 season. I stretched mine out for 3 years bout haven't hiked in it in a year. I just ordered one on REI.com for $58. Its a great jacket and I have seen that they have reinforced the inner shell a little better. The collar and hood of my old one started to go first. Its a great jacket, but you don't get a long life out of em if you hike and backpack a lot.

Deadeye
03-26-2012, 15:50
Funny, lots of people seem to love their precip. I've never found mine to be very effective at all. Wets out quickly, makes a decent windbreaker, but IMHO not worth doodly. I've had better luck with DriDucks.

restless
03-26-2012, 21:13
I've owned both the Precip and the Epic; they are both fine jackets. I think the Precip is a bit roomier and being a big guy, it is my choice. But can't go wrong with either.

Khike
03-26-2012, 22:36
Hello, I have the Epic. Had it for 4 yrs. Weighs 18oz. It's an extra large. It will keep you dry. Has pockets and zips. Built well. It is a serious jacket, as are the pants. Made with MH's version of breathable fabric. I like it. Fashionable. I believe the Precip is a bit lighter but I read a lot of blogs saying it wears out quick. MH stuff is more for the west coast-I think. I only use it in cold. Use a poncho from Campmor in warmer weather. My opinion...Kevin