PDA

View Full Version : box

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 20:24
As am planing my hike next year was thinking about having a bounce

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 20:32
[QUOTE=Edwardo Rodriguez;1269113]As am planing my hike next year was thinking about having a bounce box, sending it to the PO ahead of me with some supply
to clean my platypus while on the trail
extra liners
first aid supply
extra pair of shoes
I understand that I may be able to buy this items along the trial but rather not spend the extra money that I will have to
[/QUOTE has anybody use one while on the AT and which item do you put into your bounce box
]

coffee kid
03-19-2012, 20:42
Sounds like a good strategy, Edwardo, depending on the location of the post offices and their hours. I did not like to add very many miles to my day by needing to very far off the trail to a post office and back. Of course some are more convenient than others. - Or if you're planning on going into town for other reasons, it makes sense to send a bounce box there. The other thing you may want to check closely is when the P. O. will be open. And I suspect that some P.O.'s are shortening their hours to save costs, so the hours could have changed since whatever guide you're using was printed. I bet you can "google" the post offices by location and find out what their hours are. Good luck!

Blissful
03-19-2012, 20:58
You can begin with one but you'll likely stop using it halfway through. It becomes the junk box and gets heavier and more expensive to mail as you head north. I wuld not put shoes in a bounce box. Most like to bounce chargers up the trial. Maybe town clothes. Stuff like that.

Transient Being
03-19-2012, 21:11
what about bouncing a sleeping bag? I'm new to the bounce box technique, but am intrigued. Town clothes, chargers..........sounds good to me. How do you label the package to let the PO know what to do with it?

Don H
03-19-2012, 21:16
Way too much trouble. You don't need it, just carry what you need.
Like Blissful said, most people who start with one figure out it's not needed.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 21:40
what about bouncing a sleeping bag? I'm new to the bounce box technique, but am intrigued. Town clothes, chargers..........sounds good to me. How do you label the package to let the PO know what to do with it?
Name
general delevery PO (name of)
Ciiy, State, zip
hold for AT hiker untill

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-19-2012, 21:44
Sounds like a good strategy, Edwardo, depending on the location of the post offices and their hours. I did not like to add very many miles to my day by needing to very far off the trail to a post office and back. Of course some are more convenient than others. - Or if you're planning on going into town for other reasons, it makes sense to send a bounce box there. The other thing you may want to check closely is when the P. O. will be open. And I suspect that some P.O.'s are shortening their hours to save costs, so the hours could have changed since whatever guide you're using was printed. I bet you can "google" the post offices by location and find out what their hours are. Good luck!
Yes I understand my plan is to mail my resupply boxes to some of the PO that I will be going to for my resupply's, so I have to go in town to pick it up anyway. Right now my plan it to mail ahead of me (not sure how far) like every 200 miles or so.

ScottP
03-19-2012, 22:11
more of a hassle/expense than it's worth.

coffee kid
03-19-2012, 22:16
As with most other threads, there are as many opinions as members. In the spirit of HYOH, I'd say consider the wisdom offered here and then do what makes sense to you. As others have observed, you can stop using it and mail it home when/if you decide to.

jeffmeh
03-19-2012, 22:45
Also be aware that sending to outfitters, hostels, and motels that accept mail drops will give you better flexibility (more hours available for pick-up than at a post office), and many will allow you to print postage and send out as well.

swjohnsey
03-19-2012, 22:58
Sending to a post office allows it to be forwarded without additional postage if you don't need it.