PDA

View Full Version : Everybody loves Gear Lists ....Here is Mine

Brad1907
03-19-2012, 23:34
I would love to hear any advice. You can't hurt my feelings. I am leaving from Springer on May 27th and will be Hiking until August 5th. I hope to make it to Hapers Ferry, Wv is not a little bit farther.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6482

Wags
03-20-2012, 00:08
you could definitely save some weight in your rain gear! plenty of 7oz options out there (and a few in the 3oz range if you don't mind non-breathable stuff).

you could save a LOT of weight if you shell out some dough for a cuben tarp. talking a pound, give or take...

check toiletries. deodorant is kind of pointless. what else could you lose?

folding bucket for what?

jshwdy
03-20-2012, 01:34
Your gear list looks pretty good to me but I'm also curious as to your plans for the folding bucket.

Also what do you have in your first aid kit? I keep adding and taking away from mine (I finally came to peace with the fact that I won't need my sphygmomanometer :-) ). The EMT in me wants to be prepared, perhaps over prepared. Right now I have my first aid kit at 5oz.

In your cooking section you dont have a pot listed.

Brad1907
03-20-2012, 06:11
you could definitely save some weight in your rain gear! plenty of 7oz options out there (and a few in the 3oz range if you don't mind non-breathable stuff).

you could save a LOT of weight if you shell out some dough for a cuben tarp. talking a pound, give or take...

check toiletries. deodorant is kind of pointless. what else could you lose?

folding bucket for what?

I looked at some lighter rain gear, but I am a very hairy guy and get hot very easily so pit zips for ventilation are a must. The hurricane is one of the lightest lightest full feature rain jackets I could find.
A Cuben fiber top is out of my price range at this time. I only got the 70D Hex tarp instead of the lighter 30D, which is 4.6 oz lighter, because I used my REI divedend to purchase it and they only carry the 70D.
Ya I geuss the deoderant could go.
I use the folding bucket to haul water up to camp if the water source is a bit away, also it is much easier to filter water into the bucket versus try to get it into my platy water bottle from the filter. I also carry extra water up to camp for dishes and any clothes I need to wash.

I am still going through my first aid kit. My wife is over protective and bought the largest first aid kit you can buy from REI, it weighs like 5 pounds, I just went through it and took out the essentials I will need.

For my cooking set, the Caldera Keg it a Foster can set up to boil water and the plastic container that it comes in is food grade plastic so I can eat my re hydrated meals out of that.

SylvanHiker
03-20-2012, 11:22
I don't have any personal experience with them so this might be way off, but what I've read about solar chargers on the AT isn't promising. Solar chargers in general don't seem to be very reliable and they also require direct sunlight which might be difficult to come by on the trail. What are the Q-tips for also? They don't sound like that bad of an idea! I love that clean ear feeling as much as the next guy:)

timmy_toes
03-20-2012, 13:35
food for thought:

Have you thought of Using chlorine dioxide drops? save you about 10oz

Since you are leaving late in the season do you think you will need Cap2 and a pullover jacket? Maybe get a lighter base layer

I have also read a few other peoples post of them only bringing a small towel and use the towels at hostels or hotels.