PDA

View Full Version : Foot growth, pack weight, and your profession

Chance09
03-19-2012, 23:47
So I'm curious as to what everyone's foot growth was on the AT (or any long distance hike) and if there is any correlation between said growth, your profession, and your pack weight?

Personally I have never had my feet get any bigger during a hike but prior to my first thru hike I was a bartender/waiter and at most points of the trail I never carried more than 25 pounds. For almost 6,000 miles I used Salomon XA pro 3d ultras with green superfeet insoles and darn tough socks, then mid CDT last year I switch to Brooks Cascadia 6's with the same insoles and socks.

What were your experiences?

SCRUB HIKER
03-20-2012, 03:18
No foot growth whatsoever--I was surprised since articles I had read before going on the Trail made it sound like a given that your feet expand over the course of a long-distance hike. My professions immediately prior to hiking were: sports official, sports coach, and cashier. All three technically involved me being on my feet a lot, but you'd be hard-pressed to draw a comparison between them and hiking.

HeartFire
03-20-2012, 06:43
I was a nurse, on my feet for 12 - 14 hr shifts (in running shoes). My feet grew a size when I was pregnant (with twins), and grew another size during my AT hike - I carried about 30 lb.

Bearpaw
03-20-2012, 07:44
My feet grew a half size. I had been a Marine with loads between 75 and 115 pounds (every one on my team carried some kind of radio). My AT pack weight was 30-57 pounds then (99). I wore HEAVY boots (about 4.5 pounds for the pair).

I've since gone to much lighter shoes and packs and put nearly 5000 extra miles on my feet. My have grown nearly 1.5 full sizes.

Rasty
03-20-2012, 09:23
Not a long distance hiker. My feet expanded to a double wide size about fifteen years ago in about a year. As a chef standing and walking 12 to 16 hour shifts. I quit wearing Birkenstocks and switched to SAS shoes which provide a lot more support.

ScottP
03-20-2012, 09:28
11,000 miles in the last handful of years
AT, PCT, CDT DNF, (Was in ER the day before I started and' have medical insurance. Got really sick along the trail, again no insurance. Oh well, **** happens. Glad to see you successfully finished all 3 in 3 years :) ), tons of section hikes on the AT
Restaurant worker between grad and undergrad to pay for hikes: bartender, asst manager, barback, dishwasher, cook, waiter. Whatever I could do to find work and $$$
Poking away at grad school and dealing with fallout of shoulder reconstruction now

Feet didn't really change in size, although I learned to buy my hiking shoes a tad large.

My footwear progression:
Heavy Trail Runners (hard rocks) -> light trail runners - >lightweight road runners(Nike air pegasus) - >minimalist shoes (merrell trail glove) - > Now I'm barefoot running (60 miles last week. Barefoot and or in huraches).

Not sure what I'll put on next time I hit the trail, but the barefoot running has change the shape of my feet to the point where I can't comfortably wear normal shoes--my arches are muscled and my forefoot has spread out--there are gaps between all my toes. I'll probably rock huaraches next time I do a small hike and see how they work out, and I just bought new balance MT00s

swjohnsey
03-20-2012, 10:42
My feet didn't grow. I am a runner, probably ran 50,000 miles over the last 20 -30 years.

bus
03-20-2012, 15:01
they're no growing just flattening out from the weight :D

heavyfoot
03-20-2012, 15:34
My feet went up one size and two widths. Pack weighed 20-30 lbs. I'm a teacher.

moldy
03-20-2012, 15:38
Is this foot growth perminent? Or do your feet eventually return to their correct size and shape?

heavyfoot
03-20-2012, 16:09
Permanent for me.

Pony
03-20-2012, 17:39
I often wondered about this myself. Almost all of the jobs I've had, I was on my feet all day. Bartending/serving, factory work, landscaping. Ironically the only desk job I've had was for the six months prior to my fist hike on the AT. My feet have been the same size since I was probably 16.

jeffmeh
03-20-2012, 20:22
Is this foot growth perminent? Or do your feet eventually return to their correct size and shape?

So who is to say that post-hike does not represent the correct size and shape? :)

English Stu
03-21-2012, 06:32
I played soccer in size 7 till I was 47 years old, took up marathon running and Triathlons and soon went to 7.5, then started hiking more and went up to size 8, now only comfortable in 8.5, mostly for extra width. (These are UK sizes for US sizes add 1) Worked in an office before retirement.
I think hikers feet become more muscular, strengthen and during the day get warm as you walk, hence the increase in size. My toes straighten as they get get more use so need a bigger toe box. As I hike less in the winter I lose some muscle so my feet shrink a bit but return as hiking starts.

Shoes with more room also give more options for sock variations.

moldy
03-21-2012, 10:25
So, we are saying that heavy duty long distance hiking can make some peoples feet permintaly bigger, as in longer and wider? Any foot doctors out there? Does it sound correct?

Rain Man
03-21-2012, 23:48
Timely article about Ray Allen of Boston Celtics switching to larger shoes so he can play longer.

Boston Celtics' Ray Allen Sizes Up, Stays Steady on the Court (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1110999-celtics-ray-allen-sizes-up-stays-steady-on-the-court)

"Allen's latest move to give himself an edge involves giving his feet some extra wiggle room. After entering the league with that wonderful class of '96 wearing size 13 shoes, Allen is now up to a size 15 and he's crediting the larger shoes with allowing blood to flow down to his ankles, alleviating pressure in his feet."

fiddlehead
03-22-2012, 00:13
Started out a 10.
After 3 thru-hikes, I was an 11 but bought size 12.
After 3 more, went up to an 11 1/2 but started buying 13s. (Enjoy the extra room and don't like tightness)
Now, I haven't hiked in 8 years, my feet are back to a 10.

Never carried too much weight.
I worked construction before.

jeffmeh
03-22-2012, 00:46
Timely article about Ray Allen of Boston Celtics switching to larger shoes so he can play longer.

Boston Celtics' Ray Allen Sizes Up, Stays Steady on the Court (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1110999-celtics-ray-allen-sizes-up-stays-steady-on-the-court)

"Allen's latest move to give himself an edge involves giving his feet some extra wiggle room. After entering the league with that wonderful class of '96 wearing size 13 shoes, Allen is now up to a size 15 and he's crediting the larger shoes with allowing blood to flow down to his ankles, alleviating pressure in his feet."

So if I get bigger shoes, then I can shoot the three?