PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Section Hike

OldFeet
03-20-2012, 09:50
l'm planning a section hike from the Thunder Hill shelter area to Rockfish Gap starting May 19th and was wondering what to expect in terms of weather. By May I'm guessing Virginia temps are fairly mild but the elevations may change that. Current palns are to stop at the Thunder Hill, Matt's Creek, Punchbowl, Cow Camp, Priest, Maupin Field and Wolfe shelters.

I also noticed there was a campsite just north of the Matt's Creek shelter and was wondering if anyone was familiar with it. Any useful tips on the section are appreciated of course.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2012, 11:27
Seeing how warm it is already, I suspect it will be HOT> HOT> HOT in Virginia middle to late May. I'm starting to wonder if I even should bring a sleeping bag when I also do that section about that same time. A light fleece blanket might be all that is needed. Elevation is not much of a factor there.

Southern to middle Virginia is not as easy as it looks on the map....

johnnybgood
03-20-2012, 21:10
Marble Springs campite is just off the trail after descending Cock Knob Mtn. It has an unreliable water source thats downhill and requires a little work to get to. The tent sites are to the right and up the hill 25 yds from a fire ring that was there 3 years ago when I overnighted.
Mid May will be warm and likely buggy . The ticks are bad beginning in May so check yourself often and use permethrin spray on your clothes.

Hikerhead
03-20-2012, 22:33
Not sure about the campsite just north of Matts Creek Shelter. The James River is just downhill/north of the shelter with a lot of flat land.