PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Clothing Suggestions for CT, MA, VT and NH South of Moosilauke in July.

Phoenix7
03-20-2012, 11:54
Thinking of doing AT from Salisbury CT to just before Moosilauke in NH in July. Wardrobe is as follows, 2pr socks, 2 pr undies, 2 T's, 2 shorts, poly pro long underwear top and bottom, poncho, wool cap and baseball type hat. I'm a little concerned that there might be some colder weather mixed with rain in some spots and wondering if I should bring a fleece jacket and athletic pants just to be safe? Should I go with more?

~Dave

lemon b
03-20-2012, 13:23
I carry a merino wool shirt and a gortex shell. No poncho,fleece, long pants, or underwear.

Phoenix7
03-20-2012, 14:04
I have mixed feelings. I know that most of the time it will be hot, but I have been on some 4000 footers in the summer and it can be on the chilly side and if it's wet, even worse. I think I'll stick to the T's, shorts, wool hat, poly pro longs top and bottom.

Tom Murphy
03-20-2012, 16:56
Your clothing is fine for when you are moving but I am not sure it is adequate for camp. I would consider a fleece jacket or vest.

If I was doing this I would delete the poly pro long underwear top and bottom and add midweight wool tops, bottoms, hat, and, glove liners. These four wool items would be part of my sleep system and part of my camp clothing. Their addition would allow me to use a summer weight quilt to try to off set some of the weight from this "extra" clothing.

Phoenix7
03-20-2012, 17:25
I think I might add a lightweight fleece jacket or vest. Carrying a fairly warm bag. Thank you!

burger
03-20-2012, 19:58
Good decision to add an insulating layer.

I hiked into VT in early August with nothing but a rain jacket and a spare t-shirt, and I ended up buying a microfleece sweatshirt in Manchester Center to have something to wear on cool mornings/evenings. You'll be at higher elevations in VT than further south, and nights can start getting into the 40s even in August.

Phoenix7
03-20-2012, 20:43
Okay, I'm definitely getting some fleece. Thanks!

Kirby
03-21-2012, 18:10
A full bottle of common sense will go a long way.

--Kirby