PDA

View Full Version : Is winter over? Conditions on Trail?

MJW155
03-20-2012, 12:49
I'm leaving April 4th to hike north. Talked to a friend that is a Meterologist and asked him about cold weather or snow. He pretty much laughed at me and said winter is over on the East Coast. Maybe a few cold nights, but he doesn't expect anything major. NOAA is expecting temps above average for March/April/May.

I know there have been record highs this week in Georgia/NC. What has it been like on the trail and at night? I'm guessing highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's or 50's?

Do you think it will be OK not to bring a wool hat and gloves? I have a REI down bag rated for 20 degrees. I'm still bringing long johns and a fleece. My location says Florida, but I lived in NJ for 20 years so I can handle cold weather. I'd just rather not bring the gloves and hat if I can help it.

Firefighter503
03-20-2012, 12:54
(Insert weather guy joke here). Ha.

Gloves and hat add minimal weight. I would be more likely to drop my base layer pants than my warm hat. That's just me though. Were it me leaving 04/04, I would pack my 3 season list.

RWheeler
03-20-2012, 13:02
I'm not leaving until 4/24, and I'll likely still pack my wool cap (I wear them even in hot weather, as it keeps sweat from pouring down my face, and keeps my mangy ass hair in line... plus I like the way they fit). I'll most likely leave out my thermal base layer pant and gloves, though, have them ready to be mailed to me if the winter chill hits early and I need them on the northern end of the thru. I'll most likely take my down jacket through the Smokies. Or at least leave that on my gear list for now, I'll see how the jet streams are oriented in another four weeks.

About_Time
03-20-2012, 13:26
I left last year on May 2nd and figurred I wouldn't need warm clothes. I ended up buying a knit hat and gloves at Mountain Crossing to deal with the low 30 degree temperatures I encounterred.

Hope for the best, plan for the worse....

MJW155
03-20-2012, 13:33
I left last year on May 2nd and figurred I wouldn't need warm clothes. I ended up buying a knit hat and gloves at Mountain Crossing to deal with the low 30 degree temperatures I encounterred.

Hope for the best, plan for the worse....

Last year was a severe winter. This has been the warmest winter on record for the East Coast.

I was just curious about the gloves and hat. I'll see how the next few weeks go but I think I'll leave them home. I have long johns and a fleece. That along w/ my bag should be fine.

timmy_toes
03-20-2012, 13:50
get lighter gloves and hat to be safe thats my plane leaving on 3/26

Slo-go'en
03-20-2012, 14:07
First day of spring here in northern NH and it feels more like July. 75 and sunny. Even the snow on the north slopes in the deep ravines is melting quick. There doesn't seem to be much cold air left to make even a token cold snap.

Even so, I'd still carry a light skull cap hat and heavy shirt or light jacket.

pdcolelli42
03-20-2012, 14:07
Just because it's so warm now doesn't mean it cant get cold again and snow in april. Sure it may only be a few days but ya never know. Besides weather cant be predicted that far ahead accurately, even 7 days is pushing it IMO.

rocketsocks
03-20-2012, 15:41
While it's true winter is over,cold weather is not exclusive to winter..I'd take the hat and gloves.;)

chip2012
03-20-2012, 15:43
It was almost 90 down in ga today with a record pollen count.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2012, 15:46
My warm hat weighs 0.9 ounces. I carry it even in summer down here. Also carry a 100 wt fleece (or equivalent) in the summer. :)

peakbagger
03-20-2012, 15:52
It just takes a couple of days of cold weather to potentially ruin a hike. If you are on on a ridge with a breeze it doesnt take muhc to get real cold real quick. Once the leaves are out full it helps but until then wind chill make a big difference. A lightweight balaclava and glove liners really help and weight very little.

lemon b
03-20-2012, 17:51
The higher up the less predictable the weather.

Sandy of PA
03-20-2012, 19:16
Hypothermia kills at 50 degrees. I don't trust Mother Nature, she ain't your Momma! I always carry a hat and a way to get warm and dry.

Transient Being
03-20-2012, 21:13
I've asked this question several times already, but I'm pulling my hair out on this decision! I'm heading north from Hot Springs, NC TOMORROW and have the choice to bring a 40 oz. 15 deg. bag, or a 20 oz. 32 deg. bag. The 32 bag is a WM Summerlite that is brand spankin new, and I took it down to 29 very comfortably, i feel I could do 20 deg. in it, might not be the most pleasant night, but I could handle it. I've got a nice warm down jacket, thermals, gloves, balaclava, socks. Being the record warm winter it is, what do you guys think of my bag choice?

swjohnsey
03-20-2012, 21:22
I've asked this question several times already, but I'm pulling my hair out on this decision! I'm heading north from Hot Springs, NC TOMORROW and have the choice to bring a 40 oz. 15 deg. bag, or a 20 oz. 32 deg. bag. The 32 bag is a WM Summerlite that is brand spankin new, and I took it down to 29 very comfortably, i feel I could do 20 deg. in it, might not be the most pleasant night, but I could handle it. I've got a nice warm down jacket, thermals, gloves, balaclava, socks. Being the record warm winter it is, what do you guys think of my bag choice?

I would take the light bag. I am taking the light bag. I leave from Springer the 30th with a WM Highlite 35 degree bag. It could get down to the teens. You will still be alright. Put on all you clothes. Eat a hot meal. Maybe build a fire and hunker down.

Transient Being
03-20-2012, 22:05
Thanks! That makes me feel better. Preciate the advice.

msupple
03-20-2012, 23:40

I'm leaving about April 1st and will be taking a 30 degree WM bag.....been comfortable to mid twenties. I'll also be carrying a down sweater. If it gets cold, I'll wear everything plus rain gear if I have to. Frankly....I think heat is going to be the problem....but you never know. I'm also bringing my lightest fleece cap and glove liners...a no brainer IMHO.

Miguel

QiWiz
03-22-2012, 00:03
If you assume winter is over and do not prepare for the possibility of cold temps, Murphy and similar sprites will strike and you will be cold. If you prepare for the cold, it will stay warm and you'll be kicking yourself for carrying the heavier cold-weather gear. Take your pick. You cannot win. Weather prediction is only good for the next few days at best. Your opinions may vary. ; )

DaSchwartz
03-22-2012, 00:14
Don't under-estimate the weather. The key to staying warm is to stay dry. The smokies can and will be wet and rainy and hiking in 40 degree weather when wet is the more dangerous of all. Personally, I would take the warm bag because even in May in the Smokes and in southern Virginia, it can and probably will drop below freezing. Yea, it adds a pound to your weight but being warm and having a good night sleep, then waking up and putting on clothes in the middle of the night sucks... Hikers way under-estimate the value of a good night's sleep and keeping warm will also help you preserve calories.

daddytwosticks
03-22-2012, 07:15
There is NOTHING more pleasant at the end of a cold, wet day of hiking, than to crawl into a nice WARM dry sleeping bag. :)

coach lou
03-22-2012, 09:08
Don't under-estimate the weather. The key to staying warm is to stay dry. The smokies can and will be wet and rainy and hiking in 40 degree weather when wet is the more dangerous of all. Personally, I would take the warm bag because even in May in the Smokes and in southern Virginia, it can and probably will drop below freezing. Yea, it adds a pound to your weight but being warm and having a good night sleep, then waking up and putting on clothes in the middle of the night sucks... Hikers way under-estimate the value of a good night's sleep and keeping warm will also help you preserve calories.

This is exactly my thoughts in a thread last week, about a young lady who couldn't decide a 20* or 30* bag, the diff was 1lb. I want a good nites sleep, for all the same reasons, I'll carry the weight.

neonshaw
03-24-2012, 05:59
Its gonna get cold again, count on it. Maybe not a hard freeze, but i would have definitely have some gear in april in the appalachain mntns