PDA

View Full Version : Canisters, Cold, and Altitude: Gas in a Nutshell

hikin_jim
03-20-2012, 13:00
When cooking with canister stoves, there are a number of factors that must be held in tension: Air temperature, fuel temperature, type of gas (butane vs. isobutane and propane), elevation, canister chilling, etc.

I've just written a post where I try to tie these things together in a succinct and hopefully practical fashion. Have a look if you like at: Canisters, Cold, and Altitude: Gas in a Nutshell (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/canisters-cold-and-altitude-in-nutshell.html)

HJ

Tom Murphy
03-20-2012, 13:53
Thanks, enjoy all your posts.

This is my line up and sometimes I bring all four stoves. Yes, I have an addiction.

SVEA 123R / SOTO OD-1R / ZELPH Woodgaz / ZELPH companion alki burner

hikin_jim
03-20-2012, 14:30
Thanks, enjoy all your posts.

This is my line up and sometimes I bring all four stoves. Yes, I have an addiction.

SVEA 123R / SOTO OD-1R / ZELPH Woodgaz / ZELPH companion alki burner
Wow, all four on one trip. You must really like to cook. :)

My record is twelve, but that was just a day trip for testing. Most of them were alcohol stoves but also some white gas and canister stoves.

HJ

dla
03-20-2012, 15:40
I love how you use this poorly monetized site to steer clicks towards your intelligently monetized site :)

Tom Murphy
03-20-2012, 17:02
I love how you use this poorly monetized site to steer clicks towards your intelligently monetized site :)

It is all about the content. I don't begrudge him making a buck.

Rasty
03-20-2012, 17:31

It is all about the content. I don't begrudge him making a buck.

Ive been on his web site a couple of dozen times. What is he selling? The only thing I see are very well done stove reviews.

hikin_jim
03-20-2012, 18:35
I love how you use this poorly monetized site to steer clicks towards your intelligently monetized site :) Well, thanks for the compliment, but not really. I just accept the default ads that Google Blogger gives me. I earn less than $2.00 per day on average. Google Blogger has thousands and thousands of little blogs like mine. I imagine that they are doing fine on ad revenue, but I only get a few pennies a day. I figure it covers my fuel costs for my stoves and maybe a couple of bucks toward gas to get to the trailhead. Wish it were more, but it is not.

Mostly, I just like stoves. I'm not much with money I'm afraid. :)

HJ

hikin_jim
03-22-2012, 02:08
I earn less than $2.00 per day on average. Actually, I'm a little off there. I just checked my stats, and I earned and average of $2.09 per day for the last seven days. My estimate was fairly close though, and a lot of weeks, it's been quite a bit less than $2.00 per day. Blogging is fun, and I think I'm providing a service that people find useful, but it doesn't earn me much in the way of money. It's "free" canisters of gas and a can of white gas once in a while -- or at least that's how I look at it.

HJ