PDA

View Full Version : Is there a re-supply between Abol Bridge and Monson?

SGT Rock
12-18-2002, 00:35
I've read in Jack Tarlin's re-supply advice and Hungrie Howies re-supply advice and there isn't a mention of this place. The Maine trail guide says that there are no possible places to get a drop or buy food between Monson and Abol Bridge. But tonight I'm thumbing through "The Thru-Hiker's Handbook" 2001 edition and it says:

46.0 Loggin Road: left 0.8 miles to White House Landing Wilderness Camp. Bunkhouse, rooms, shower, camp store, coleman, trail supplies, hold mail drops for $5 etc...

Any of you Maine hikers or recent thru-hikers know about this? Seems like a pretty good re-supply close to the trail. Why doesn't the Maine guide mention it?

attroll
12-18-2002, 01:39
White House Landing Wilderness Camp is 30.6 miles south of Abol Bridge. It is not a resupply point. It is a place out in the middle of nowhere. The owners run all there lights and stoves off propane. What little electricity they use is from a generator. They do hold mail drops. But that is about it. They will take you to town and back for things you need but they charge by the mile and it is not cheap. You can use there phone to but it is a cell phone and that is not cheap either. While I was staying there I ran into a couple of hikers that started there hike from there and were just going from there to Katahdin and it cost them something like $25 each just to get shuttled into the camps. But don’t quote me on the exact price.

There are two main logging roads going up into the 100 Mile Wilderness that you can leave or have someone put your resupplies at. This is the place were most people who elect to do this will leave them. You can do this at Jo-Mary Rd where the AT crosses or you can also go up to the old Katahdin Iron works and head into the Gulf Hagas and just a little ways past that the AT crosses the logging road. These logging roads are pretty well maintained. There is a manned gate house you have to go through and they charge a small fee to get in.

If you start from Monson the first logging road is 30.4 miles from Monson, this would be the one you get to from the Katahdin Iron Works gate. Then 28.1 mile past that one you hit the next logging road. This one is Jo-Mary Rd. From there you have 40.9 miles to Abol Bridge. There are other logging roads along the way and in between these places but these are the best accessible ones and the ones that all the AT hikes I ran into or have talked to used. I have been to both of these places and I can tell you these are the best ones. It is quite a drive up into the logging roads to get to them but like I said the roads are very well maintained.

I hope all this makes since to you Rock. But if anyone needs more info about his feel free to ask.

SGT Rock
12-18-2002, 07:40
This is great info, thanks. It answers everything I was wondering about since the statements didn't seem to jive. So I guess the bottom line for a north bound hiker is either carry enough supplies to make it to Abol Bridge and cash since they don't take credit cards. But if you can't, there is an option to mail drop into White House landing for a $15 fee.

Team GAK
12-18-2002, 08:41
In 2001 we sent a maildrop to White House Landing. When we got there we had a great lunch and picked up our maildrop. They had a hiker box and I don't remember if they had resupply stuff for sale. They charged one price for the maildrop if you did not stay the night and another price if you did stay the night. We chose to move on and in only a couple of hours we reached a great campsite with tables, fire pits and out-house on a lake (Natahmahala or something like that - check your map). White House Landing was a pleasant break from the trail. You should get ATC guide for their phone and call them to find out what they offer this season.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2002, 08:53
Rock, WHL does have resupply stuff such as Liptons, ramens, snickers, oatmeal,etc.,etc. phone# 207-745-5116.

Peaks
12-18-2002, 09:11
My copy of the Maine Guide is the twelth edition, published in 1993. White House Landing is newer than that, so that's why it isn't in the current edition.

It should be in Wingfoot and ALDHA Companion.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2002, 09:27
WHL opened to hikers in 99. The AT used go right by the place in the late 30s and 40s. Matter of fact there were lots of hunting and fishing camps that used to cater to hikers back in the day. The owner's dad hiked the AT in 98.

SGT Rock
12-18-2002, 15:34
I checked the on-line companion and it also lists the place. According to "Thru-hiker's Handbook" the cost for a mail drop hold is $5 if you stay there, and $15 if you don't.

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2002, 15:59
Rock is correct; I forgot to mention this place. Should say at the outset that I've never been there. Have heard mostly positive stuff from people who did visit, with one caveat: Make sure you know in advance exactly how much things are going to cost (phone calls, burgers, whatever), as more than a few folks told me they were unpleasantly surprised to discover the cost of several items after it was too late to turn them down. Be aware that this place is in the middle of nowhere, and getting in and outta there may take some time.

I've always preferred to go all the way thru the Wilderness in one straight shot; that late in the trip, I don't want another "town" stop, I just want to stay in the woods til the trip is done. (It usually takes me 6 1/2 days to get thru the Wilderness, so your pack will be heavy pulling out of Monson, but not totaly heinous). The Abol bridge camp store has everything you'll need; make sure you bring at least one day's worth of extra food into Baxter in case you have to kill a day once you're there waiting for the weather to improve; there is NO place to re-supply once you're in the Park, so make sure you check your foodbag BEFORE you go past Abol Bridge.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2002, 16:10
Jack, in 2000 when Gypsy and I stayed there, a sign in the lodge was very obvious with ALL prices listed. I remember folfs bitching about it on Trailplace. They're not there to rip hikers off.

Ann
12-18-2002, 16:18
I just recently exchanged an e-mail with White House Landing concerning info on the mail drop and what is available for food at their camp for a section hike I am planning for next year. This is the direct quote from the e-mail:

We offer meals in the lodge,B L D.You can send a drop to our po box in town.We charge $5 for the pick up.We are located Between the potaywadjo leanto and the nahmakanta stream campsite at mile 46.It's marked at the grassy Mahar Landing tote road wich is on the maps.

I am assuming that the $5.00 fee is IF you stay at their lodge.

In looking into the use of the mail drop I think I'm going to rule them out. If you have the Maine AT maps take a look at the topo...it looks like it's really towards the easy end, translation: flatish and quite near the end of the "100 mile woods" so I do not think I'll probably use them but your milage may vary.

Also, I want to put a disclaimer into this post:

I HAVE NOT HAD direct experience with them so I cannot recommend them or give a thumbs up. But I thought I'd be able to confirm the fee for the drop. (As I said, I believe that $5.00 is IF you stay there.)

EDIT:
SGT Rock: Just think, if your in Maine the same time I am, you might even be able to meet my dog!!!!! And don't worry...I will NOT be using ANY shelters!! (Bad Joke, just kidding with you, honest.) ;)

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2002, 18:23
Thanx to Wolf for his post; as I mentioned in mine, I'm not personally familiar with the place as I always prefer to hike straight thu that area; if this explanatory signage is still there, that's good, as there were some complaints regarding prices and services in the early years of this place's operation; I also want to stress (as I said earlier) that the majority of folks I spoke with this past season who visited or stayed there spoke well of the place and of the friendliness of its employeees/owners.

Should also mention that not all of these early complaints would classify as "bitches"---more than a few folks were understandably upset that their "loaded" cheeseburger, for example, as good as it was, ended up costing about nine bucks because each and every additional item added 50 or 75 cents to their check; people that had known about this beforehand might have ordered simpler burgers; likewise, people used the telephone there without being aware that certain long-distance calls were extremely expensive due to the nature of the type of service that the lodge had.

My point was NOT to speak ill of this place; on the contrary, as I've already said (twice!), most of the folks I know that went there were perfectly happy with it. However, it's important that here, as well as at other hiker facilities, that people are aware of the price of amenities BEFORE they order them---having this knowledge open and available beforehand helps hikers decide what sort of services and goods they want to spend money on, and it cuts down on the ammount of unhappiness and "bitching" later on. For example, when Uncle Johnny offers to pour you a steaming cup of cofffee in the morning...... ah, let's not go there, I think I made my point.

Ann
12-18-2002, 19:29
Jack...
Thanks for the heads up on White House Landing's business practices. Even though they may be "up front" with posting prices I cannot possibly support a business that price gouges due to it's "prime" location. (If I want to spend $9 for a burger I can always go to the Bahamas.) I don't think I can, in good conscience, give them my business. I am now ruling them out completely and appreciate your enlightening info.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2002, 19:50
Jack is posting 2nd, 3rd or whatever info. I've been there. The Burgers are $5.00. They don't "price gouge" because of location. They have to run a boat up a lake 15 miles then drive into Millinocket for supplies. They use a lot of fuel to run boats and generators to keep food frozen and cool. You gonna rule them out if you're near there and need emergency assistance? The AMC "price gouges."

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2002, 19:51
Whoa! Ann!!!

I never said they price gouged. True, their services are a little pricier than comparable places on the Trail, but then again WHL is located in the middle of nowhere, everything has to be brought in by road or by boat. Also, such services as water, power, light, telephone service, etc. are very different from what you find in "civilization". Therefore, certain things such as food, snacks, maildrops, phone calls, etc. are more expensive but there's a reason for this.

Because of their unusual location and added operating costs, this place is indeed more expensive than comparable facilities up and down the Trail, but there are many valid reasons for this. So therefore, I'm categorically NOT accusing this place of price gouging---all I meant to say is that hikers should be aware of the cost of goods and services before requesting them, so there's no misunderstanding or bad feelings from people who might feel over-charged otherwise.

As to whether or not hikers wish to avail themselves of the services offerred here---well, like so many other things, folks have to make that decision themselves. I personally can get by for a few days without a nine dollar sandwhich or a 5 dollar pint of Ben&Jerries; likewise, I'd rather not pay more money for the privilege of picking up my maildrop than the damned box cost to post in the first place, but that's just me. Other folks, with different needs, and perhaps fatter wallets, are welcome to do otherwise. That's one of the cool things about the Trail---services of all sorts are open and available to everyone equally; it's up to the individual to decide what they want to spend money on, and where they choose to do it.

Jack Tarlin
12-18-2002, 19:53
Jack is posting exactly what he heard from any number of people, but I think I've already stated and made clear:
1) I've never been there
2) Most of the folks I know who have been, liked the place
3) There is a good reason why some things cost more there.

I think I'm done with this thread

Ann
12-18-2002, 20:22
My apologies...
I did not mean to digest the presented info incorrectly. I tend be very cautious in wanting to do the right thing and support business and organizations who give hikers a fair shake.
My sincere apologies.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2002, 20:42
Ann you really need to call the place to get straight info. I usually never listen to other hikers. I like to check out things on my own and make my own decisions.

Ann
12-19-2002, 09:02
Thanks for your advice Lone Wolf.

ganj
12-19-2002, 10:25
I passed through there this summer and just want to concur that the prices for everything is posted. It is a very scenic and quiet spot, they are very friendly, not out to rip you off, and I would stay again. We were in the middle of a heat wave (high 90's in Maine!) and had to stop for the beer and cheeseburgers.

Another option for anyone wanting to resupply thru the wilderness is to contact the Shaw's who i believe will meet you at Jo-Mary Road with supplies.

And you are right about the last half of the wilderness, it's very smooth walking.

Blue Jay
12-26-2002, 10:09
I spent a night there on my way through this summer. I felt the services they provided were well worth the price. I work two rat bag jobs all winter to pay for my freedom each summer, so I am somewhat tight with my money. There are certain places on the Trail, such as the Bear's Den, all the Waysides in the Shenandoahs and the Doyle that are for me mandatory stops. White House Landing is on that very exclusive list.

screwysquirrel
01-29-2003, 01:04
Whitehouse isn't too bad of a deal. I stayed there last year and the place was kinda of high but it helped me with a mail drop. The people there are nice and like lone wolf said they have to come across the lake to pick you up and take you back. To me it was a pleasant stop.;)

Virginian
02-08-2003, 22:32
I passed by the White House Landing . It seemed to take away from the 100 mile wilderness experience. Some people liked it, other said that they were told one price and then charged another. You can go from Monson to Abol in 5 to 6 days.

Askus3
02-12-2003, 22:01
I am planning a trip thru the Hundred Mile Wilderness for 8/28 thru 9/6. I am not an experienced backpacker and have studied all possibilities for day hiking, car shuttling and on trail lodging as much as possible. I have a detailed itinerary with websites for three different locations that can be used for resupply points in this Wilderness. This can be received via e-mail, once I have your e-mail I can send you this attachment. My trip will include only two nights of backpacking on the trail. You might find this helpful.