PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap to Damascus

ljallen
03-29-2005, 12:52
Can anyone give me a little information about Sams Gap to Damascus. I am planning a three week trip. Is this part of the trail scenic or should I stay down in the smokies?
Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2005, 13:03
This is a wonderful stretch. Just north of Sam's Gap is Big Bald, which is beautiful on a clear day.

North from Erwin, the highlights are the Beauty Spot, Unaka Mountain, Roan Mountain, Carver's Gap, and then the Roan Highlands area, which is spectacular.

A few days later you'll come to Laurel Creek Falls, one of the largest and most scenic on the Trail.

Also on this stretch are two of the finest hostels on the Trail, Miss Janet's House and Kincora; also one of the Trail's prettiest shelters, Overmountain.

All in all, a wonderful stretch, have a great time!

Morning Glory
03-29-2005, 15:27
This trip is only about 145 miles. It should be a pretty enjoyable trip, if you have 3 full weeks to hike this section. As Jack said, this is a very scenic area and make sure you spend at least a day at the aforementioned hostels.

orangebug
03-29-2005, 15:58
That route is now about 150 miles after the relo south of Kincora. It would be a very leisurely 3 weeks. I'd consider starting down at Max Patch and working north, getting all of the lovely NC/TN balds in one swallow.

That section is a mighty fine wine.