PDA

View Full Version : wetnessss

rjhouser
03-20-2012, 23:09
I plan on using a dri ducks jacket for my outer layer in wet conditions. No pack cover. Just a pack liner and dry sacks. However, I have a short Neoair and want to use my pack under my feet while sleeping.

Problem: Pack gets wet, don't want it under my down bag.

Any advice that won't result in me adding weight? I've thought about going with a poncho of sorts to cover the pack too while hiking, but I don't want to add any ounces. Also not really interested in a pack cover. Of course I could always buy a cuben fiber cover or poncho, but I really don't want to spend over $200 on this issue. Grazi.

swjohnsey
03-20-2012, 23:14
I plan on using a dri ducks jacket for my outer layer in wet conditions. No pack cover. Just a pack liner and dry sacks. However, I have a short Neoair and want to use my pack under my feet while sleeping.

Any advice that won't result in me adding weight? I've thought about going with a poncho of sorts to cover the pack too while hiking, but I don't want to add any ounces. Also not really interested in a pack cover. Of course I could always buy a cuben fiber cover or poncho, but I really don't want to spend over $200 on this issue. Grazi.

You seem to be weight conscious. Wet gear is heavy gear. I would/do use a pack cover. You can get a cuben pack cover from Zpack for around forty bucks. It weights about the same as your pack liner.

One of the first lessons in survival training is to imitate the natives. They know what works. Same here. Most of the AT folks you see will be using a pack cover. There's a reason.

Juice
03-20-2012, 23:26
Put the pack liner over the wet bag!

rjhouser
03-20-2012, 23:32
Put the pack liner over the wet bag!
this man may be brilliant

MuddyWaters
03-20-2012, 23:47

put the foot of your bag inside the liner
put the pack inside the liner (might damage it on a shelter floor)
put your driducks jacket between your bag and the pack
dont use the pack under legs when its wet
If you have a neoair you likely have a groundsheet to protect it from shelter floor, put that over the pack

seems like lots of possibilities.

pack will still be wet in hard rain,even with cover. Of course, so will you and everything else when humidity is high.

leaftye
03-20-2012, 23:53
I got some tyvek sleeves to use with my Dri Ducks poncho or silnylon poncho/tarp. I haven't used the sleeves yet though.

garlic08
03-20-2012, 23:59
Ditto the pack liner under your feet. I use a trash compactor bag, no dry sacks. Don't even worry about the wet pack.

BobTheBuilder
03-21-2012, 00:45
I'm not really an anal person, but I use a pack liner (compactor bag) and a pack cover. I don't want my pack getting soaked, as I don't want to carry the water weight. The liner is just an insurance policy. My down bag is my last line of defense against hypothermia, and I won't take a chance with it getting wet. Also, my pack cover is blaze orange, so double duty there. The weight of the pack cover is much less than the weight of a wet pack pack.

leaftye
03-21-2012, 01:10
Bob, if you think that's bad, I think I got you beat. I keep my down quilt in its bivy. When it's raining, I put my sleeping gear in my over sized clothing stuff sack. I'll put that in a plastic bag. Over the pack goes my poncho. I might even have an umbrella, although the umbrella is brought primarily for sunny days. So that's up to 5 layers of protection for my quilt, not counting the DWR treatment on the shell of my quilt.

Winds
03-21-2012, 05:48
SW and Bob have the ONLY answer here. OR you can carry the extra weight AND have a wet pack problem at camp.

And Bob, thanks for the ORANGE pack cover idea, I had not thought of that.

Grits
03-21-2012, 06:22
Get a packa http://www.thepacka.com/

daddytwosticks
03-21-2012, 07:02
In warmer weather, I use a poncho. Pack stays very dry durring warmer weather thunder showers. :)

QiWiz
03-21-2012, 23:58
turn your pack liner bag inside out and put your wet pack inside it, under your feet; in the morning take the pack out, turn the liner bag right side out and put back inside your pack

rocketsocks
03-22-2012, 00:21
turn your pack liner bag inside out and put your wet pack inside it, under your feet; in the morning take the pack out, turn the liner bag right side out and put back inside your packWho says geniuses couldn't get themselves out of a wet packbag...(liner);)Brilliant!