PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Pearisburg

waasj
03-21-2012, 06:15
Couple of questions regarding this section. How are the hitches to Troutdale and Sugar Grove? Are tr resuplies in each pretty reliable? What are the resupply options at 81 and Groseclose Store like? What is the status of White Pine Horse and Walnut Flats campgrounds, are they hiker friendly?

Terry7
03-21-2012, 07:58
You can walk into Troutdale, its only 3 miles. Clean up at the Baptist Hostel then have breakfast at Jerrys Trading Post. Jerry will take hikers back to the trail.

JJJ
03-21-2012, 08:17
Looked like Jerry had a pretty good resupply spread last time I was in there. The road is sparsely traveled, still, a hitch should be reasonably easy. Don't know much about Groseclose.

waasj
04-01-2012, 16:06
Cool, thanks for the update!!

Cookerhiker
04-01-2012, 16:26
According to this recent TrailForums post, Jerry's is closing: http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=61591

Rain Man
04-01-2012, 20:30
Couple of questions regarding this section. How are the hitches to Troutdale and Sugar Grove? Are tr resuplies in each pretty reliable? What are the resupply options at 81 and Groseclose Store like? What is the status of White Pine Horse and Walnut Flats campgrounds, are they hiker friendly?

Hitching into Troutdale was SLOW for me and the wife, but kids just walked it. Sorry to hear that Jerry's might be closing in Troutdale and hope that turns out to be not so. IIRC, Sugar Grove has a small grocery store. Exxon station at I-81 had fair amount of stuff, plus you can get rides to Atkins (though thinking of it, I think the grocery store there had closed when I was last through there). Don't know about those two campgrounds.

You might ask Sawnie Robertson (that's her real name and WB user name too) for local info. She lives in Sugar Grove and was helpful to me more than once.

Rain:sunMan

bigcranky
04-02-2012, 18:30
My favorite hitch happened to be into Troutdale. Two guys coming back from an early - and successful - bowhunting trip. We got to ride in the back with the deer. They sat up front and drank beer from long neck bottles. At 9:00 in the morning. Great hitch.

Del Q
04-02-2012, 19:58
Just hiked from Bland to Damascus, Atkins is a great resupply town, hotel, restaurant, solid convenience stores............also serve cold beer and wine. I really like / prefer re-supply that is close to the trail.

Pizza delivered to the Partnership Shelter was as advertised................great food in 45 minutes, free phone, dumpster to off-load all of your trash, covered area to eat. Showers in the warmer weather. Sweet!

waasj
05-28-2012, 11:08
Can we safely park a car in Atkins? Might have a buddy joining me far the first part.

SawnieRobertson
05-28-2012, 15:35
Jerry's is totally closed with a for sale sign out front.

Best hitch (I think) is from Dickey's Gap, either going back to Troutdale (post office, hostel, medical clinic) or going forward to Sugar Grove/Partnership (of course, to return to Dickey's Gap to resume your hike). What I am saying is that, I believe VA 16 is a good hitch most of the time. Once you get to Partnership, the Marion Transit will take you into Marion for a small fee. There you have got everything legal any hiker could desire. --Kinnickinic

Skid.
05-28-2012, 17:26
Can we safely park a car in Atkins? Might have a buddy joining me far the first part.

Ask at the Barn Restaurant, I've parked there overnite, may depend on how long you will be hiking.

rmitchell
05-28-2012, 18:30
You can park at the Relax Inn. Last fall it was $3 per day. They will also shuttle. The motel is Hwy 11 crossing.