PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokies (Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap)

ljallen
03-29-2005, 12:54
Can anyone tell me about this section of the trail? I am planning a three week trip and was wondering if you could tell me how scenic it is? Would you suggest I add it in my 3 weeks. Thanks so much.

Footslogger
03-29-2005, 13:33
Can anyone tell me about this section of the trail? I am planning a three week trip and was wondering if you could tell me how scenic it is? Would you suggest I add it in my 3 weeks. Thanks so much.=====================================
Well ...depending on your pace, 3 weeks should be enough. In terms of being scenic ...that depends a great deal on the weather. It's rough and beautiful country and you break out often enough to see the surroundings but if it's raining or foggy (which it often is) you might not get to appreciate them.

'Slogger
AT 2003

bulldog49
03-29-2005, 13:41
Should be able to complete it in 4 - 6 days, depending on weather and your pace, it certainly won't take 3 weeks. There are some nice views, at Rocky Top, Ice Water Spring shelter, and Mt Camerrer. A side trip to Mt Leconte, about 5 miles off the AT might be nice as well. It is very crowded in the summer months.

mingo
03-29-2005, 13:54
it's one of the most beautiful stretches of the a.t. with a slight detour, you could also visit gregory bald, which is covered with flame azaleas blooming in late june and early july and offers 360-degree views. going north after newfound gap, the trail runs along a sharp ridgeline and there are spectacular views from both sides of the trail. one of my favorite spots in the world is eagle rocks near pecks corner. i've sat up there many afternoons and watched the ravens play. once when i passed through, there were literally several dozen ravens there.

Rain Man
03-29-2005, 17:34
For what it's worth, I'm doing that exact section next week. Plan to drive over to Fontana this coming Sunday and hit the trail Monday morning. I have reservations in the shelters for two extra people the first two nights, and three extra the last three nights, if anyone would like to go. Otherwise, I'll cancel the reservations.

Monday night - Mollie's Ridge Shelter
Tuesday night - Silers Bald Shelter
Wednesday night - Icewater Springs Shelter
Thursday night - Tricorner Knob Shelter
Friday night - Davenport Gap Shelter

My sister is resupplying me at Newfound Gap on Wednesday afernoon, where she is picking up her son (my nephew), who will hike with me from Fontana. Saturday, I'll hike out to Standing Bear Farm, where I will be leaving my truck this Sunday.

Rain:sunMan
Clemson '75

Doctari
03-29-2005, 22:12
The first hill up from Fontana can be a fairly strenuous climb if starting "Cold" at the dam. But with 3 weeks to hike, take your time, enjoy the occasional views of the lake, stop & see the shuckstack fire tower (short climb up a side trail) & stuff like that.

As stated above, its one of the more beautiful sections of the AT.

OH! Be sure to stop at Clingmans Dome & stare at the tourists huffing & puffing after a 1/2 mile climb from the parking lot. Be sure to mention you have hiked x miles already today, and still have x miles to go :)

Charlies Bunion is worth the short side trip. Views on a clear day are most excellent. On a foggy AM, you can still "Feel" the views, rather erie.

Take your time, see the sights, impress the tourons, have fun.

Perhaps continue past Davenport gap about 3 miles to the wonderful "Standing Bear Farms Hostel.

Doctari.

Uncle Wayne
03-30-2005, 02:50
Can anyone tell me about this section of the trail? I am planning a three week trip and was wondering if you could tell me how scenic it is? Would you suggest I add it in my 3 weeks. Thanks so much.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

ljallen,

The above link will take you to my journal of our hike through the Smokies a couple of years ago. It's still one of my favorite hikes. There have been several recommendations of side trips etc and all are good suggestions but don't miss Mt. Cammerer lookout before starting downhill to Davenport Gap. See my journal entry plus do a search for Mt. Cammerer in the photo gallery.
Good luck.

Uncle Wayne
03-30-2005, 02:53
For what it's worth, I'm doing that exact section next week. Plan to drive over to Fontana this coming Sunday and hit the trail Monday morning. I have reservations in the shelters for two extra people the first two nights, and three extra the last three nights, if anyone would like to go. Otherwise, I'll cancel the reservations.

Monday night - Mollie's Ridge Shelter
Tuesday night - Silers Bald Shelter
Wednesday night - Icewater Springs Shelter
Thursday night - Tricorner Knob Shelter
Friday night - Davenport Gap Shelter

My sister is resupplying me at Newfound Gap on Wednesday afernoon, where she is picking up her son (my nephew), who will hike with me from Fontana. Saturday, I'll hike out to Standing Bear Farm, where I will be leaving my truck this Sunday.

Clemson '75

Rainman,

You mention to me earlier that you hoped your wife would accompany you through the Smokies. Not gonna happen? I know you'll enjoy your hike anyway. Good luck and good weather.

Rain Man
03-30-2005, 11:04
You mention to me earlier that you hoped your wife would accompany you through the Smokies. Not gonna happen?

Not gonna happen this time, BUT we did do a 3-day backpacking trip together two weekends ago in the Savage Gulf between Nashville and Chattanooga, with the Sierra Club and Tennessee Trails Association. Plus, we do weekly day hikes in and around Nashville.

I'll be posting a trip report with pics some time following my GSMNP hike.

Krewzer
03-30-2005, 19:32
If you can work it out, take an extra day and check out the Boulevard Trail to Mt. Leconte. It's a fantastic side trail just before Ice Water Spring shelter. It's well worth the extra day. This is also a good time to go up there, it's way to busy in tourist season.