PDA

View Full Version : Taking care of things "at home" while you are gone...

jcheil
03-21-2012, 11:13
My girlfriend and I will be thru-hiking the AT in 2015 (or possibly sooner) and I am wondering how people take care of things back home, and prepare those things for being unattended, while they are gone for 4-6 months if they own a home and live alone, etc. I’d really like to try to take care of all of these things WITHOUT having to rely on anyone else “back home”.

As far as paying bills, I’m lucky in that I do not have any credit card debt or car payments. Just a mortgage, and I’ll either set that to auto-pay each month or since I’ll only have 7 years left on it in 2015, the interest won’t be much so maybe I’ll try to get the bank to give me an “extension” where I just pay the interest for 6 months. Anybody ever do that?

I’ll shut off completely: Cable TV, Internet & Water. Don’t have a home phone so nothing to worry about there.

Can’t shut off Electric cause down here in Florida you have to run the A/C or everything will turn to mold. So I’ll get a humidistat installed with my thermostat and just set the A/C to run to keep the humidity at a reasonable level while I am gone. I can set the electric bill to get paid automatically and might only be $50/month at that point.

My pool and hot-tub, oh well, they are just gonna have to turn green and get taken care of when I return. Not worth spending the money and electric to keep them up.

Food at home, I’ll just empty the fridge/freezer, leave it open and turn it off.

Vehicles – try to have as little fuel in the tank as possible and add fuel-stabilizer. We’ll take a plane/bus to GA and back from ME. Car Insurance, I guess I could just cancel it for those 4-6 months, and same thing with vehicle registrations/renewals.
Lawn Maintenance – I guess I’ll have to somehow set up an electronic monthly payment to a company and just HOPE that they are actually doing it!

*** Mail – I have NO IDEAS on this one. I currently have a PO box and a street address mailbox. I try to get most bills electronically via email. Most of my paper mail goes to the PO box, but how do you just let it all pile up for 4-6 months? I would think that I would need to go thru it (or have someone) in case I get a jury duty summons, etc. Is there a way the PO will hold it for 30 days at a time, then send 30 days’ worth to me all at once, and then I’ll just spend a day along the trail going thru it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Am I forgetting anything else that anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and please be gentle as I am new here :)

Sevsa
03-21-2012, 11:40
Have your mail forwarded to someone you trust and then have them go through it looking for anything important. I wouldn't cancel your auto insurance because it will likely increase when you pick it up again. Not sure about Florida registration but I would also keep that up to date too and since it is yearly it isn't an issue. Would go with the automatic payments on your mortgage so that no more interest builds up.

RWheeler
03-21-2012, 11:42
I'm doing a thru this year, and I've gone and paid my bills up through October. I made sure to contact a service agent for each company to make sure that the amount I was paying was applying to future months' dues, and not a large 1 month payment.

I set my car insurance up to automatically list as "in-storage" starting the day after I fly out to start. That way my registration stays current and I don't need to turn in my plates, then pay to re-register it once I get back. Plus, I had my insurance current up through July, so I actually ended up getting a refund for that (oops, forgot to take care of that back in January... oh well). I don't know what the regulations are in FL, but you may want to look into something other than just cancelling. The total storage fees for my car for 6 months are only like $30. Well worth the cost of not having to deal with the DMV or having to explain gap in insurance coverage if I ever switch companies.

Sub-letting my apartment to a friend (he's kicking me the amount for utilities, cable, Internet, etc, and splitting rent, since I'm kinda looking at it as him "taking care" of the apartment while I'm gone). He needs a place to live for 6 months, so it works out.

Mail... I... actually haven't thought of that one. I guess I'll have my friend look at it, if it's junk mail, just burn it. If it's a statement from something, just toss it aside so I can file it when I get back. If it's anything that looks super important, call me and let me know. You can try to have the Post Office hold for 6 months, I'm not sure how long they will hold for. But as for the Jury Duty, you can contact the Superior Court, explain the situation, see if you can get your service in before you leave, because then you'll be good for 3 years. I just got summoned a few months ago, so it worked out perfectly for me in that regard.

turtle fast
03-21-2012, 11:56
I had a friend put all mail except the obvious junk mail into a box and ship it to me on the trail along with some supplies. Your pool and hot tub may be better served by draining and covering them. Your auto insurance, I would get a hold of your agent or talk to a representative because many policies have where you can still insure but you have to attest that it is in storage for a lower premium. It is also a good idea to check your health insurance for what is covered out of your network if you need care that is not emergency related.

WingedMonkey
03-21-2012, 12:06
Car Insurance, I guess I could just cancel it for those 4-6 months, and same thing with vehicle registrations/renewals.

I think you will find that nearly imposable to do in Florida. To cancel registration requires proof that the vehicle is either on blocks and out of service or registered somewhere else, and then you have to turn in the tag. I've never seen anyone do it for just 6 months. Same with insurance if you let it expire they will pull the registration, if you pull the registration they will pull the insurance, it is a vicious cycle in this state. And you will have more red tape and fines to pay than you can think of.
In case things have changed in Florida, since I last checked, give your insurance company a call, see what they say. If your insurance somehow gets canceled, the new rates will be even higher. Another Florida law.

You got plenty of time to plan.

ambroseya
03-21-2012, 12:20
Regarding car Insurance: I spoke with my insurance company and they said if I notify them when I leave, and then prepay for while I am gone, they will refund the actual time I am gone, if I call when I return (basically, if it is 4 mo, 7 mo, I don't have to know exact timing in advance.)

Also your rates *skyrocket* if you have "lapsed insurance" and it could be cheaper to pay the interim, especially seeing if you can get some back. I said I would be "Travelling without the car for that period".

Spokes
03-21-2012, 12:21
I forwarded my mail to my girlfriends address while I was away. Did the transfer online through the USPS website. No problems whatsoever.

I kept a running balance on two of the credit cards I took and set up a minimum payment schedule through online banking so I didn't have to worry about missing a payment. I just settled up when I finished. It was a whole lot easier using credit cards for me. Of course you will need more cash in the Northern sections.

BTW, double check the expiration dates on your credit cards! I found one of mine was due to expire while on the trail. Luckily I called the company and had them issue a new one.

Yes on the fuel stabilizer.

I learned a lot from reading articles online on what the RV crowd does when away for long periods on the road too.

Cheers!

About_Time
03-21-2012, 13:00
I ended up having problems with both my car and lawn mower after sitting for so long. You may end up having issues with items that are simply sitting. You might want to consider trying to rent the house for six months. You can charge more than enough to cover the utilities and will have the peace of mind about not having to worry about the lawn, pool and (hopefully not) hurricane shutters. Part of the arrangement can be do monitor the mail.

chief
03-21-2012, 13:02
Find out if your insurance is okay with your home being unoccupied for 6 months.

bus
03-21-2012, 14:13
Find out if your insurance is okay with your home being unoccupied for 6 months.

And hope that is doesnt get squatters in it. A few months back WFTV in Orlando ran a story about a guy who came back into town after a month or two and had folks in his house that had a bogus lease. The story centered on his troubles getting the squatters removed. It may be a good idea to pay a property manager sty;e service to keep tabs on it as if they were renting it for you, but, not rent it.

jcheil
03-21-2012, 14:43
good thoughts on the auto insurance, and yes I believe you all are correct, I forgot that not having continuous insurance for the past 12 months makes your rates go way up. Stupid state sometimes.

But, has anyone ever had the PO hold their mail and then forward it to you (for example) monthly? I know I saw something in the PO about being able to hold mail and then mail it to you (for people with 2 homes like a simmer/winter home). I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it via General Delivery on the trail.

Like I said, I don't really have anyone I can/want to depend upon "back home" for such a long time.

The Old Boot
03-21-2012, 15:00
good thoughts on the auto insurance, and yes I believe you all are correct, I forgot that not having continuous insurance for the past 12 months makes your rates go way up. Stupid state sometimes.

But, has anyone ever had the PO hold their mail and then forward it to you (for example) monthly? I know I saw something in the PO about being able to hold mail and then mail it to you (for people with 2 homes like a simmer/winter home). I was just wondering if anyone ever tried it via General Delivery on the trail.

Like I said, I don't really have anyone I can/want to depend upon "back home" for such a long time.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a firm closer but I used a company in Green Cove Springs FL whose sole business was receiving and forwarding mail for full time RV's and 'boat people'...lol (those who live on their boats full time).

They would discard any obvious junk mail like flyers and hold my mail indefinitely. At any opportunity where I knew where and when I was going to be, I would call or email them with a forwarding address including general delivery at a post office if necessary. I was charged a small monthly fee and applicable postage. IIRC I prepaid a $100.00 on my visa, my fees each month were deducted from this and then my account was recharged as needed. I could specify the type of mail service I wanted including having it overnighted to me if needed.

Also, if you're going to close up your home for any length of time it would definitely be advantageous to seek out others in your neighbourhood who use their home seasonally and take some 'lessons' specific to Florida weather conditions. I remember my mother leaving pie plates of charcoal briquets and kitty litter in multiple locations (inside cupboards, closets etc) to reduce the dampness inside closed areas. They also put saran wrap over the toilet bowl to reduce evaporation in the water left in the toilet. Since you'll be hiking during the summer months and not during hurricane season, you'll want to talk to some snowbirds!

Your insurance agent will be able to arrange 'seasonal occupancy' insurance on the house which will be necessary as most homeowners policies are void if the home is not occupied for a specific number of days.

rhjanes
03-21-2012, 17:30
I would disconnect the car batteries and have a full tank with the stabalizer in it. air up all the tires to about 5 PSI over the recomended number (so if the door tag says 35, put 40 PSI in them). they will have leaked down to about 30 when you return....

On the H2O shut off, I'd recommend leaving it on and getting someone to enter the place to run all the sinks, tubs and flush, once a month. When the P-traps all dry out, they will allow sewer-gas into the place and then also get busy growing mold in them......STINK......

Spokes
03-21-2012, 19:55
I would disconnect the car batteries....

I'd check with your car mechanic first before doing that. Disconnecting the battery on a lot of the newer cars can cause problems or even wipe the vehicles computer memory. The Volkswagon Jettas were notorious for that. They required a 9 volt battery to be plugged into the cars memory saver while changing the battery.

FarmRookie 2015
03-21-2012, 20:59
I'd check with your car mechanic first before doing that. Disconnecting the battery on a lot of the newer cars can cause problems or even wipe the vehicles computer memory. The Volkswagon Jettas were notorious for that. They required a 9 volt battery to be plugged into the cars memory saver while changing the battery.

Not to mention the agony of trying to figure out hoe to set the stinking clocks when you get back.

RWheeler
03-22-2012, 17:05
Yeah, I wouldn't disconnect the battery. You can just jump them when you get back if necessary. Leaving the car disconnected tends to cause more trouble than it does good.

And with the tires, it looks like it might be a very hot summer, so I would actually inflate them only 2-3 above recommended. The additional heat is going to put a lot more pressure into the system. Any flat spots that a car might get while resting are very easily driven off as soon as the car rolls off of those spots.

kris.felix19
03-28-2012, 07:02
When we were away from home for 6 months, we told our car insurance company that we would not be using our cars and they gave us special coverage. We paid very little but it was good we did. It’s often harder to find affordable coverage after a gap. Of course, both DH and I are over 50 and found great discounts on insurance using an AARP car insurance calculator (http://aarp.thehartford.com/Insurance-Planning-Tools/Auto-Insurance-Planning/auto-insurance-coverage-calculator.shtml). I’m not sure if that would help you, but if you do happen to be over 50, it’s worth looking into AARP.

WingedMonkey
03-28-2012, 12:48
When we were away from home for 6 months, we told our car insurance company that we would not be using our cars and they gave us special coverage. We paid very little but it was good we did. It’s often harder to find affordable coverage after a gap. Of course, both DH and I are over 50 and found great discounts on insurance using an AARP car insurance calculator (http://aarp.thehartford.com/Insurance-Planning-Tools/Auto-Insurance-Planning/auto-insurance-coverage-calculator.shtml). I’m not sure if that would help you, but if you do happen to be over 50, it’s worth looking into AARP.

That's cool, your profile says you're 36 and your SPAM says you are over 50.

:sun

RWheeler
03-28-2012, 13:05
That's cool, your profile says you're 36 and your SPAM says you are over 50.

:sun

I was more intrigued with the identity of this "DH" character.

The Old Boot
03-28-2012, 13:27
I was more intrigued with the identity of this "DH" character.

DH is standard 'web-abreviation' for dear husband...lol.

Odd Man Out
03-28-2012, 23:14
I had kids go off to college for a year and left their car at home (too expensive to keep on campus). Our insurance policy let us take off the collision/liability but keep the comprehensive to cover getting damaged by hail, falling tree, vandals, etc... The comprehensive is really cheap and this way the policy is continuous. I could even reactivate the policy for week when the kids were home on break, as long as the car was parked for more than a month prior to that.

malowitz
03-28-2012, 23:36
Hey there - I thrud in 2010 and can tell you what I did.

First -- ALL my bills are autopays - either from the checking account or to a credit card so it doesn't matter - as long as I kept money in the checking account.

The house was the big one. I didn't want a traditional renter, but I asked around with friends to find out if anyone knew of anyone they would vouch for who needed a place. All I wanted was someone in the place if possible. Turned out a co-worker's daughter/husband were selling their place and needed somewhere to stay for weeks. They moved in teh day I left for GA - I just packed all my stuff into one of the bedrooms and basement, leaving furniture/dishes/etc out. It worked out perfectly and I made a little $ back (like $250/mo -- again it wasn't about renting but just having someone there). The rest of the time, the house sat empty. I had one friend come water plants and the neighbors had a key too.

I didn't shut off water service - no need to pay to have your curb stop shut-off.

I hired the neighbor kid to mow and took care of paying him a bunch of money up front and then settling up when I got back.

I put the car on the "storage" insurance and had a friend come start it every two weeks. If I were to do this again, I would look into selling the car.

I had friends grab the mail and pile it up, but since all the bills are autopay and I paid my property taxes ahead of time, nothing truly important arrived. I believe the PO will only hold your mail for 30 days. You've received some good suggestions on what to do with it.

Do you have someone to send your discarded gear to and who can send it back to you when you get to cold weather again?

Spirit Walker
03-29-2012, 13:29
Some places like Mailboxes etc. will forward your mail as you direct, but since most mail is junk mail, I'm not sure it's worth the expense. A lot of the RV crowd does that since the PO won't hold your mail for more than a month any more. We changed our mailing address to a family members' and they went through the mail as it arrived and let us know about anything important when we called. Some years that worked well, a couple of times not so well.

One consideration if you think about renting out your home - what do you do if one of you gets injured or bored and you have to leave the trail? This happened to a couple I knew. The wife got sick and injured and left the trail but had to rent an apartment since their house was leased. He continued hiking. Their savings got depleted very quickly since the rent was enough to cover the mortgage, but not to pay for an apartment as well.

If you do leave the house vacant, do you have a neighbor you can trust to keep an eye on the house? Someone who will contact the cops if necessary, and let you know about any storm damage etc.?

jcheil
03-29-2012, 15:04
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I confirmed that I can put my vehicle on "storage" insurance like many of your suggested and it will be very cheap (less than $100 per year).
I'm not really interested in someone renting my house. The money is not that big of a deal. I think leaving the humidistat set and turning off the water (in case of a pipe break) is the best way to leave it "vacant". I really don't trust anyone nearby to check on it. Sad, but that is the way it is now-a-days. Nobody even knows their neighbors. Ironically, I have a video security system at the house, so I guess I could leave my Internet connected and just check in on it myself when I am in a town along the trail.

The mail is still a hang-up for me. You're right, there are companies that will forward it for you, but I checked and they are just too much $ considering the amount of JUNK I get (goes by weight and cubic inches of volume). I have very few bills, and 99% of them are e-bills.
I guess I'm just an over-thinker and wanna make sure that NOTHING ruins our trip. Heck, our trip is a ways off anyways, so maybe I'll just try to eliminate ALL paper mail by that time. Like I said, I think the hang-up is a mental thing for "me" on that one...

But thanks again for all the input. I will have many other questions and I appreciate your responses.

jcheil
03-29-2012, 15:10
oh yeah, and no, I won't really have someone "back home" for sending stuff to, etc.

Unless I am missing something (and please set me straight if I am), I just don't see why I would waste the time/money to swap out winter/summer gear. I'd just keep my winter bag and sleep on top of it, or sleep in just the bag liner on top of the winter bag. I mean, I'd have been carrying it for the whole winter, seems kinda excessive to ship it off so that I can have a slightly lighter load for 2 months only to get it back again and return to the slightly heavier load. Again, I may not know jack (likely) and I have heard of people doing tons of equipment modifications to save 1lb, but I'm just thinking that the 1 or 2lb difference from a winter bag to a summer bag would break my back for the 2 "middle" summer months.

Pony
03-29-2012, 18:01
The biggest "things" that need taken care of while you're on the trail, aren't things. If things aren't right at home, then you probably won't be alright on the trail.

jcheil
03-30-2012, 11:39
The biggest "things" that need taken care of while you're on the trail, aren't things. If things aren't right at home, then you probably won't be alright on the trail.

Ok, you lost me on this one...Please explain...

Odd Man Out
03-30-2012, 15:52
I'd just keep my winter bag and sleep on top of it, or sleep in just the bag liner on top of the winter bag. I mean, I'd have been carrying it for the whole winter, seems kinda excessive to ship it off so that I can have a slightly lighter load for 2 months only to get it back again and return to the slightly heavier load.

Never underestimate some people's desire to lighten their load. But I am with you on this one. I figure the extra clothes I carry in the winter become my pillow for the summer. I can't sleep without a good pillow.

Spirit Walker
03-30-2012, 16:08
I used a 20 degree bag for the whole trail both times. As long as you have a tent so you can get away from the bugs, sleeping on top of it works fine when it gets hot. I did get rid of some warm clothes (rain pants and long underwear) which I had resent to me in New Hampshire, but I didn't really need them much. Neither of my AT hikes was that cold in the fall. You could send your warm gear home and if you really need warm things again up north, just contact Campmore or REI to get a new set of warm clothes.

Chillfactor
04-13-2012, 13:48
My girlfriend and I will be thru-hiking the AT in 2015 (or possibly sooner) and I am wondering how people take care of things back home, and prepare those things for being unattended, while they are gone for 4-6 months if they own a home and live alone, etc. I’d really like to try to take care of all of these things WITHOUT having to rely on anyone else “back home”.

As far as paying bills, I’m lucky in that I do not have any credit card debt or car payments. Just a mortgage, and I’ll either set that to auto-pay each month or since I’ll only have 7 years left on it in 2015, the interest won’t be much so maybe I’ll try to get the bank to give me an “extension” where I just pay the interest for 6 months. Anybody ever do that?

I’ll shut off completely: Cable TV, Internet & Water. Don’t have a home phone so nothing to worry about there.

Can’t shut off Electric cause down here in Florida you have to run the A/C or everything will turn to mold. So I’ll get a humidistat installed with my thermostat and just set the A/C to run to keep the humidity at a reasonable level while I am gone. I can set the electric bill to get paid automatically and might only be $50/month at that point.

My pool and hot-tub, oh well, they are just gonna have to turn green and get taken care of when I return. Not worth spending the money and electric to keep them up.

Food at home, I’ll just empty the fridge/freezer, leave it open and turn it off.

Vehicles – try to have as little fuel in the tank as possible and add fuel-stabilizer. We’ll take a plane/bus to GA and back from ME. Car Insurance, I guess I could just cancel it for those 4-6 months, and same thing with vehicle registrations/renewals.
Lawn Maintenance – I guess I’ll have to somehow set up an electronic monthly payment to a company and just HOPE that they are actually doing it!

*** Mail – I have NO IDEAS on this one. I currently have a PO box and a street address mailbox. I try to get most bills electronically via email. Most of my paper mail goes to the PO box, but how do you just let it all pile up for 4-6 months? I would think that I would need to go thru it (or have someone) in case I get a jury duty summons, etc. Is there a way the PO will hold it for 30 days at a time, then send 30 days’ worth to me all at once, and then I’ll just spend a day along the trail going thru it? Anyone have any suggestions?

Am I forgetting anything else that anyone can think of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and please be gentle as I am new here :)

I left my home for 3 months and did the automatic bill pay method. I turned my water off at the house, not the street and turned off the toilet water connections. I unplugged the t.v. I put my car on a trickle charger. The big problem was the mail. They will hold your mail for 30 days and it will be delivered after that period OR you can designate a person to pick it up. I did that then had it held for 30 days again. You can fill out mail holds online at usps.gov. There is a service in my town, and possibly in yours, where the "senior patrol" (ritired citizens) affiliated with the police department, will drive by and collect fliers from your porch and check you doors. I had to fill out the paperwork at the police dept and it worked out nicely.

As far as the mail, you may ask someone to collect it once a week ( I found this was easier than the 30 day holds). I, too, didn't want to impose duties on anyone.

It was difficult to leave things and I held my hike to 3 months because I was concerned about things at home. I didn't want to rent but considered a graduate student. I decided against that as I didn't want to risk damage to my house.

If you have important papers, get a safe deposit box at the bank. It will all work out. The senior patrol was a blessing.