PDA

View Full Version : Sending Winter equipment home

Josh Calhoun
03-21-2012, 13:48
i was wondering what is the best and easiest location to get to for sending cold weather gear home and getting my summer bag sent to me? i have a marmont never summer 0 degree and i plan on starting the trail around the 3rd week of FEB 2013.

also would i need to have my winter gear sent back to me when i get farther north?

thanks in advance

kayak karl
03-21-2012, 13:52
when are you starting???
easiest towns are the towns you hike through, hot springs, erwin, damascus etc.......not extra traveling to get to PO.

garlic08
03-21-2012, 13:59
Best advice I heard on trail, after misjudging it by a week too early at Pearisburg, is to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid-May) no matter where you are. If you don't know your pace or when you're starting, it will pay to be flexible and have a friend at home ready to send it when you're ready.

max patch
03-21-2012, 14:10
Usually Pearisburg VA and Hanover NH is where you would make your switches.

However, for early starters like yourself the advice given by Garlic is good. You'll know your pace after a while, and on May 1 you can tell home support what town you will be at in May 15th.

Don H
03-22-2012, 06:04
+1 for Pearisburg and Hanover.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing, you can phase out of winter gear over a few weeks.