PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun wedding style...

Reaper Tactical
03-21-2012, 19:03
So I am physically, mentally, and financially prepped to thru hike the AT and I have hiked 500 miler sections before however I have decided to hurry up and shotgun wedding a thru hike this year .< However i seriously need help planning an itenarary thats doable was hoping someone would let me just copy theirs... leaving april 24th from springer...

aakers
03-21-2012, 19:24
Im not sure about everyone else, but im not planning an itenarary. I feel like it is too hard to plan day by day. There are a lot of factors that will make me hike faster/slower! I hope maybe someone can help guide you though! See you on the trail! :)

atmilkman
03-21-2012, 21:20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?29

Reaper Tactical
03-21-2012, 21:27
Thanks... printed. That off earlier and was a huge help... look someone helpfully and friendly.... side note I was taking Amtrak.to Atlanta and than having hostel pick me up is that the best option

Reaper Tactical
03-21-2012, 21:28
Oh and Dave at the ATC is an awesome guy

Reaper Tactical
03-21-2012, 22:57
Hey side note I use a lot of army issue stuff anyone. Else use a molle Ruck. Also my biggest logistics issue at the moment is what's most recommended way to Springer elsewhere on forum I have read train to GA than taxi.. he are they with fuel and knives aren't they as anal as planes

Reaper Tactical
03-22-2012, 08:30
I also am debating my stove I own a usgi canteen stove. An debit. A sweedish issue stove thing a can cooker a exhaust pipe wood stove and a canister stove Coleman's peak 1 model any suggestions which to take for fuel resupply v weight v ease of use all I need is to boil

Slo-go'en
03-22-2012, 14:35
Reaper, if you've already done several 500 mile sections, you'd think you'd have already figured out the answers to all your questions.

No one in thier right mind uses Army stuff. It is not well suited for long distance hiking - it was all designed for quite a different type of mission and use. Forget the Peak 1 exploding stove. (I've seen more of those go up in a ball of flames than I can count). Use the ebit or buy/make an alcohol stove.

Take the train to Gainesville, GA instead of Atlanta and have the folks at hiker hostel pick you up. $75 gets you to the hostel, a nights stay, a good send off breakfist and a ride to your choice of trail heads.

Reaper Tactical
03-23-2012, 08:47
Hey I did the 500 with an Alice Ruck so what's that say LOL ;) the new molle Ruck ain't too bad. Was planning on my esbit she has served me well. I wish I could afford a kifaru. Timberline my old company had them awesome pack... thanks for the advice guys.. oh Amtrak and knives?

dzierzak
03-23-2012, 10:01
No one asked and I didn't tell the last time I used Amtrak.

nehiker
03-23-2012, 11:37
Hey I did the 500 with an Alice Ruck so what's that say LOL ;) the new molle Ruck ain't too bad. Was planning on my esbit she has served me well. I wish I could afford a kifaru. Timberline my old company had them awesome pack... thanks for the advice guys.. oh Amtrak and knives?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241305472094

There is nothing about knives there (unless you got a sword)

Reaper Tactical
03-23-2012, 12:47
LOL thanks ya I will leave the saber at home...