PDA

View Full Version : Gee's Ultimate Trail Stove

YerbaJon
03-29-2005, 15:40
My father, an experienced woodsman, finally solved all of my Stove problems: a propane tank.
At first, I was shocked at his idea. Was he out of his mind?
"Dad, certainly you mean a small propane tank?".
"No. The big ones! They weight about 20 pounds."
That was it, he was out of his mind! At least that's what I thought, until I learned that I was the fool; I had become so consumed with weight that my mind had closed itself to the perfect trail solution.
His ultimate plan was perfect. It was more than just a stove! His final design satiates the strict ultra-light hikers' motto of dual use, perfectly satisfies the desire to share the experience, provides 100% accurate distance calculations, actually produces income on the trail, thus pays for itself, and cooks one hell-of-a meal!
Personally, for my family and myself, we will be rich. Everyone will want one. I have spent the last few nights practically unable to sleep with the excitement of my pending riches. Again, however, my Dad proved the more experienced hiker.
"Son, in the spirit of freedom and trail magic, the designs must be shared with all. Ask for nothing, expect nothing; only then will you have everything."
In honor of my father's (Gee's) request, here is Gee's Ultimate Trail Stove (GUTS):
Mount a 20lb. propane tank onto 2 solid wheelbarrow tires.
Install a pedometer onto the tires.
Wrap the tank in solar panneling.
Mount a movie camera facing backwards (IMPORTANT: Use digital camera with new technology that eliminates shaking of image).
Install your choice of stove onto top of butane tank.

Operation instructions:
Start camera and pull.
Sell butane to hikers in need at above market value.

"Son, the benefits are priceless. Best of all,when you are done, you will be able to play the movie backwards and people will be able to walk the entire trail without ever having to leave their living room."
The man has GUTS.

Stoker53
03-29-2005, 15:49
Interesting concept. How will you deal with the flat tires, broken axles and worn out hub bearings?Or am I off base for interjecting logic on a humor thread?

YerbaJon
03-29-2005, 16:08
Stoker53: I have now noted that the tires are the solid type.

What do you mean "humor thread"? Did'nt I post this in the homemade gear forum? Hmmm? You must be joking! :rolleyes:

Tractor
03-29-2005, 21:12
I wonder how much a methane recovery unit & tank would weigh? What stove(s) could use it though? And the smell? Never mind....

Mountain Hippie
03-29-2005, 22:46
Might I suggest a larger tire and a drop chassis, that would lower your center of gravity. I mean you can do it with your current set-up but I'd hate to see you spill your GUTS. :banana

grrickar
03-30-2005, 02:15
Forget pushing a wheelbarrow, get a rickshaw instead and pull it. That way you can see in front of you. You will need all terrain tires though. You could even pick up extra bucks hauling hikers up Roan Mtn. :jump

Pencil Pusher
03-30-2005, 03:22
There should be a spot on this contraption for a sword or gun so you can barbeque livestock/pets on the trail.

Gee
03-30-2005, 16:44
Son, this is your father (Gee), thanks for posting my suggestion; not only will it help you and your wife on your trip but I feel it will help thousands of other hikers.

By the way, what is the deal with changing tires to solid tires? This would not ride well on the trail. The reply about flat tires is bogas. I have put 60,000 miles on my car tires without a flat...just how long is this trail? The methane idea was good and one could even refill the tank along the way...just need to work on the connections to accomplish this.

Worn out hub issues...not a concern. One can buy a one pound tube of lithium grease, it will be enough for the entire trip.

Love Dad

Mountain Hippie
03-30-2005, 20:52
If you take the methane approach you will need to burn off the excess between shelters. I suggest that you offer hikers the opportunity to warm themselves with the heat generated from this. This Portable John E Heater would only be useful during the cooler months. The rest of the year you could offer a hot buffet by adding tubs filled with hikers favorite vittles directly above the flame. Potty meat is sure to be a favorite.
Connections for extracting fuel will be difficult to fabricate. Perhaps it is best to mount a throne so that waste may be added on the go. You could charge a nominal fee for it's use along the trail as you travel from shelter to shelter. You would have to be sure that the solid and liquid waste are kept separated as much as possible. Perhaps you could add a liquid holding tank that you could siphon the liquid into. A "Gee Whiz" tank, so to speak. Solid fuel procurement should not be a problem since it seems that there is always someone on the trail that is full of it.
If you follow through and make this dream a reality I am sure that your accomplishment will be the talk of the trail for years to come. Best of luck to ya.

Before anyone replies, yes I know this thread is going to crap. Literally :eek: