PDA

View Full Version : TN section hike questions

neonshaw
03-21-2012, 22:03
Everyone, I want to take my daughter on a short section the first week of April. I want to go from Roan Mnt or thereabouts, go north, and take out at 19E right after Apple house. I want the trip to be 3 days, 2 nights. Spend 1 night at overland mntn (the barn). Ok so my questions I have are

1. where would you start at
2. where is the best place to leave a car
3. Do you have the number of a shuttle driver in Elk Park or somewhere close.
4. any other advice

we can usually handle a 25 mile section without problems. we have done one the past 2 years. She is 16, I am 54 and in good shape.

I like the Roan, grassy, jane, hump, yada yada incedible views of this section and my kid has never seen it. Plus the overland mntn shelter is huge and should be plenty of room

thanks in advance

mike

Whiskey
03-21-2012, 22:12
I'm signing on to see what helpful advice is given. This is about the same trip I was planing for my daughter and me.

Mando12
03-21-2012, 23:06
If you want to do 3 days/2 nights, you could get on at TN 107 near Unicoi. From there it's about 13 miles to Roan High Knob shelter, then another 7 miles to the red barn. Then you could hike out to 19E on the 3d day. Keep in mind that the Apple House shelter has been demolished. I don't know about shuttles. The Mountain Harbor is just west of where you'll come out on 19E--they do shuttles into Roan Mountain. Perhaps they will take you back to Unicoi.

ken209
03-22-2012, 08:18
Call Mountain Harbour B&B, spend the night there Terry will shuttle you to carvers gap, walk back to your car. Great hike.

Tennessee Viking
03-22-2012, 08:26
I agree with PapaWhiskey.

BabySue
03-22-2012, 16:56
To go from hwy 107/Iron Mountain Gap to hwy 19E/Elk Park is 29.8 miles. This is a bit more than the 25 you're shooting for, and more importantly it includes the especially rigorous climb up Roan Mt. from Hughes Gap. So, based on what you've said, I'd go for a shorter hike than that. One way to shorten it would be to start at Hughes Gap (there's a good gravel road to it), but then you're immediately climbing one of the worst climbs in the whole area (unless you're into that). I suggest, therefore, that you start at Carver's Gap and hike the 15 miles to 19E, which is 10 miles shy of your intent. So, here's my suggestion about lengthening the 15.
Hike from Carver's Gap about 2 miles up to the Rhododendron Gardens (that is SOBO on the AT) and then another mile or so out to the outstanding overlook past the gardens (not on the AT, but on a popular wide trail through the gardens). Then backtrack a bit toward Carver's Gap and stay night 1 at Roan High Knob Shelter. Thus day one is a mere 4 or 4.5 miles; pehaps this works well since your first day may include a lot of driving. Then on the second day you have 8 miles from Roan High Knob shelter to the Overmountain barn (8 miles includes the side trail to the barn). Then on day three you've got 9.5 miles from the barn to 19E. Take a rest at cozy Doll Flats. Total miles = approx. 22. If 22 isn't enough, then cross 19E and walk into beautiful Bishop Hollow before returning to your shuttle service at Mountain Harbor.

ScottP
03-22-2012, 19:00
Option A:
Park at Mountain Harbor BnB, get shuttle to Iron Mountain Gap
Day 1: To Ash Gap, 11.6
Day 2: To Overmountain 8.8
Day 3:Out, 9.2

ScottP
03-22-2012, 19:03
Option B:
Drive to greasy creek friendly. Get shuttle to US 19E
day 1: to Overmountain 9.2
Day 2: To Roan High knob 7.3
Day 3 to greasy creek friendly: 8.9

Beware, last year there was some sort of really weird bug infestation up on roan high knob and it was a very unpleasant place to be. Either connie at greasy creek or the folks at MH BnB should be able to let you know if it's a problem again this year.

Just going the 20 miles from carver's gap to 19E is a good plan too, as long as you get back to do the other side of carver's gap at some point soon!

neonshaw
03-22-2012, 20:51
To go from hwy 107/Iron Mountain Gap to hwy 19E/Elk Park is 29.8 miles. This is a bit more than the 25 you're shooting for, and more importantly it includes the especially rigorous climb up Roan Mt. from Hughes Gap. So, based on what you've said, I'd go for a shorter hike than that. One way to shorten it would be to start at Hughes Gap (there's a good gravel road to it), but then you're immediately climbing one of the worst climbs in the whole area (unless you're into that). I suggest, therefore, that you start at Carver's Gap and hike the 15 miles to 19E, which is 10 miles shy of your intent. So, here's my suggestion about lengthening the 15.
Hike from Carver's Gap about 2 miles up to the Rhododendron Gardens (that is SOBO on the AT) and then another mile or so out to the outstanding overlook past the gardens (not on the AT, but on a popular wide trail through the gardens). Then backtrack a bit toward Carver's Gap and stay night 1 at Roan High Knob Shelter. Thus day one is a mere 4 or 4.5 miles; pehaps this works well since your first day may include a lot of driving. Then on the second day you have 8 miles from Roan High Knob shelter to the Overmountain barn (8 miles includes the side trail to the barn). Then on day three you've got 9.5 miles from the barn to 19E. Take a rest at cozy Doll Flats. Total miles = approx. 22. If 22 isn't enough, then cross 19E and walk into beautiful Bishop Hollow before returning to your shuttle service at Mountain Harbor.

I think I like this plan the best. I want to see as much as possible but not get into a death march climbing Roan. I can probably handle it but why? this seems to offer the best compromise

thanks everyone else for your comments and suggestions

NO_Turtle
03-22-2012, 21:16
Neonshaw

If possible try to arrange to have your daughter bring a friend. I took a similar route with my 16 year old daughter (and her friend) last year. We started with a night in Gatlinberg, shuttled to Newfound Gap, walked north to Davenport Gap (2-3 nights) and then took them whitewater rafting afterwards.

My wife and two boys will not walk with me anymore because on previous hikes with them I went to long, and too far! Keep it easy and get them interested.

My daughter is now a venture scout going rock climbing, caving, and is going backpacking with her friends this April.

Food for thought!

neonshaw
03-23-2012, 07:42
Neonshaw

If possible try to arrange to have your daughter bring a friend. I took a similar route with my 16 year old daughter (and her friend) last year. We started with a night in Gatlinberg, shuttled to Newfound Gap, walked north to Davenport Gap (2-3 nights) and then took them whitewater rafting afterwards.

My wife and two boys will not walk with me anymore because on previous hikes with them I went to long, and too far! Keep it easy and get them interested.

My daughter is now a venture scout going rock climbing, caving, and is going backpacking with her friends this April.

Food for thought!

I have hiked most of my life and introduced her to it when she was 14 with 3 day backpack. Last year we did a 25 mile loop at Standing Indian. She likes meeting the "thrus" each April, hanging out at night at the shelter learning about what motivates them to do the long trail.

I got her an Osprey backpack for xmas. She has heard about Roan from some friends and wants to see it. So thats where we are going this year.