PDA

View Full Version : Best footwear for fording streams in 100 wilderness

Humble Walker
03-21-2012, 23:43
I'm seeking advice as to the best and lightest footwear for fording streams in the 100 mile wilderness section. This will be for a section hike in June. thank you

turtle fast
03-22-2012, 02:26
Tevas, Crocks, Chacos, or bare feet (sometimes ouch). Some people just slog through it knowing they will have wet feet. Most though turn to their camp shoes that are dual purpose shower, crossing streams, wear in camp or town footwear. The first three footwear mentioned is the most encountered and fairly light weight. Though I have seen flip flops, canvas tennis shoes, and diving booties.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-22-2012, 02:43
Got myself a pair of these to cross the creek on the JMT http://www.rei.com/product/798240/vibram-fivefingers-kso-multisport-shoes-mens but ended up crossing the creeks in my train runners

fiddlehead
03-22-2012, 06:15
Many people buy these: http://warmstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218

JAK
03-22-2012, 06:28
Trail runners. Remove socks if dry. Slows you down but its a good way to air your feet out.
Bare feet are ok if there is less risk of falling, but trail runners are best for traction.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2012, 10:30
DO NOT cross bare footed - unless you want to risk breaking a toe like I did. Those rocks are slick! I almost got across before slipping off a rock and nearly going completely into the drink.

This was in the fall and it was cold, so it took a day or two before I noticed that toe was all swollen up and I was having trouble walking. Thankfully, I ran across a group doing trail magic at Lower Jo-Mary lake and were able to drive me out. At that point I was hobbling so bad I would have run out of food before getting out of the wilderness.

The easiest thing to do it take your socks off, put the boots back on, cross the stream, take off the boots and dump out the water, then put your socks back on.

jcheil
03-22-2012, 11:58
The easiest thing to do it take your socks off, put the boots back on, cross the stream, take off the boots and dump out the water, then put your socks back on.

it is possible that I am missing something obvious, because I am new here, but please explain why would you bother taking your socks off and then putting them back on only to put your foot and dry sock back into a wet boot?

SouthMark
03-22-2012, 12:06
As Slo-go'en said, remove your socks and your insoles, put them in your pocket, cross in your trail runners, dry off your feet with a bandana, put insoles back in and socks back on. Then just walk your shoes dry. Works best with non-Goretex lined shoes which just hold water and take forever to dry.

jeffmeh
03-22-2012, 12:06
it is possible that I am missing something obvious, because I am new here, but please explain why would you bother taking your socks off and then putting them back on only to put your foot and dry sock back into a wet boot?

There is a difference between getting your socks completely saturated and having them get damp from putting them back in a wet boot. Obviously, keeping the socks and boots dry, and drying your feet before putting back them back on, is better if one is willing to carry other footwear to manage it.

Kerosene
03-22-2012, 13:56
Those neoprene booties mentioned in Post #4 by fiddlehead are very thin. Certainly better than bare feet, but not nearly as much protection as Crocs. Personally, I'm leaning toward the trail runners with no socks option.

Kirby
03-22-2012, 22:43
Just wear trail runners and walk right through the dang things.

--Kirby

Tom Murphy
03-23-2012, 16:18
I used these for all my day hikes and backpacks last year and I am planning on buying a new set this year.

Only thing is I had to add safety pins to the straps at the heels.

http://www.rei.com/product/828718/salomon-techamphibian-3-water-shoes-mens

buff_jeff
03-23-2012, 18:45
Just wear trail runners and walk right through the dang things.

--Kirby

You beat me to it. No way I'm stopping to take my shoes/socks off, walking across, and then putting them back on. Turns a 30 second crossing into a 10 minute ordeal.

rusty bumper
03-24-2012, 09:18
I just continued on hiking right through the streams with my Merrell Moabs and Smartwool socks. I didn't carry any camp shoes, so that wasn't an option. The thought of walking through barefoot is kinda scarey to me....the stream bottoms are generally very slippery and I felt it was essential to have a good tread on the bottom of my feet while crossing. Wet shoes and socks are really not a big deal after having been out on the trail for 4 1/2 months prior to reaching the 100 Mile Wilderness!

weary
03-24-2012, 12:54
Slo-go'en has it right. Bare feet for a stream crossing are an accident waiting to happen. The best boots for crossing streams are the same as the best boots for hiking trails. If it's a warm sunny day, sometimes I just wade right on through. But if its cold and I have a stiff climb ahead I stop, remove my socks, put my boots back on, and cross the stream. On the other side I empty the water, replace socks and keep on going.

a

1azarus
03-24-2012, 17:30
...add to the equation that your socks are dirty and your trail runners are muddy... best thing in the world is to just walk on through... then savor the clean for a 1/4 mile or so. your feet will dry soon enough. you might consider using hydropel in the morning. goes a long way toward making you smile when your feet get wet.

grateful 2
03-24-2012, 18:30
vivobarefoot.com 3.7 oz each

Joker4ink
04-01-2012, 17:57
Got myself a pair of these to cross the creek on the JMT http://www.rei.com/product/798240/vibram-fivefingers-kso-multisport-shoes-mens but ended up crossing the creeks in my train runners

I hope those are good on wet surfaces, because my Trek Sports and my girlfriends Multisports are absolutely terrible! We tried in rivers/streams and also to jump off rocks in a lake...They were pure ice-skates! We both had high hopes for them in water but were highly disappointing. Otherwise, nice shoes.

heavyfoot
04-01-2012, 18:49
I used Crocs but make sure you have something with an ankle strap. Strong currents can take a slip-on mule, like Crocs without the strap, right off of your foot.

Danl
04-01-2012, 19:21
http://www.californiaflyshop.com/simms-zipit-wading-booties/

What you think about these?

bobtomaskovic
04-01-2012, 21:43
Lots of days the trail was a stream and my feet were soaked for days on end up in Maine, that made the decision easy. Hiking boots for me.

Heald
04-01-2012, 22:03
A camp shoe like a 99¢ pair of flip flops worked fine for me. Some people carry Wadies, they work fine as well.

One Half
04-01-2012, 23:18
Vibram Five Fingers. Wear a pair and carry a pair. Dry quick.

rocketsocks
04-02-2012, 07:02
I'm seeking advice as to the best and lightest footwear for fording streams in the 100 mile wilderness section. This will be for a section hike in June. thank youBoat Shoes!

WILLIAM HAYES
04-06-2012, 23:28
when i did the 100 mile wilderness I removed my socks and waded across in my trail runners -dont wade barefooted rocks are slippery and you wont get the traction you need
Hillbilly

MuddyWaters
04-07-2012, 05:05
Recently finished a trip where feet/shoes stayed wet for 3 days during the day, crossing rocky water crossings often, some up to thighs, just walked on thru with trail runners. Let my feet dry at night only.

No problems, perfectly comfortable.

Honestly dont know why people are afraid to get feet wet. It is soothing, it cools the body down fast. If your pack is light and your shoes fit and you use thin synthetic socks, you feet will still be as comfortable as when dry. It is not necessary to remove socks even.

If you use heavy boots, change into your other shoes for crossing.