PDA

View Full Version : PCT Record Attempt

Lone Wolf
03-29-2005, 17:09
http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/pct_record/index.htm

rickb
03-29-2005, 17:30
If only we could get Vegas interested in some propositions.

Its just not going to be all that much fun as a spectator without having something on the line.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
03-29-2005, 17:32
Ain't there TONS of snow in high Sierras this year? Could make it tough.

chris
03-29-2005, 17:43
Yeah, it is a pretty massive snow year in the Sierra. If he leaves on June 4, he'll probably reach the Sierra around June 20 or so. Snow will be manageable by then (snow melt will be rough), but I doubt he'll be able to cover 40+ miles per day. It might be possible, as the JMT speed record averages over 50 miles per day, but I think the speed records on the JMT are set when there isn't much snow on the passes. Support won't help, as there is a 200+ mile roadless stretch right at the start of the Sierra. However, this shouldn't be that big of a deal as he'll be able to make up a lot of time further north. When Wall set the PCT speed record in 2003, he took it pretty easy in SoCal and the Sierra (comparatively) and then really burned it up after.

Spirit Walker
03-29-2005, 18:30
There is also a woman who is trying the same thing, only I think she is unsupported.

hikerjohnd
03-29-2005, 22:43
I work at the same place as Wall - I'll have to stop by tomorrow and tell him his record is in jeapordy...

Nean
04-28-2005, 16:16
Found this while looking for the Scott Williamson thread. So Wall beat Shadows record of 80 days? How long did it take him? By the way, Scotts' Sobo last year took 94? days, not the 52 mentioned in the thread I was looking for.

chris
04-28-2005, 17:37
I'm not aware of Shadows. From what I understand, Jardine had the record, then Brian Robinson, then Wall. I think Wall did it in something above 80 days (84?). There was a pretend speed hiker in 2003 that claimed something faster, but I'm (and others) are pretty certain he didn't actually do it.

When did Shadow hike?

fiddlehead
04-28-2005, 22:16
Ray "Wall" Greenlaw did the PCT 2 years ago in 83 1/2 days which is the new "recognized" record, beating Brian "Flyin Brian" Robinsons' record (I think 80 or 81 days, when he did his Triple Crown in One year) (2001). Ray wrote a really Great book about this speed hike and it is now finally out. He wrote it all from memory as he carried very little on the hike. No stove, no pen or paper, etc.
the book is available at: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/greenlaw_book.html
It is excellent.
I read here that people think you can't have support in the Sierras. Well, there are people who will come in and resupply you in a record attempt and David Horton has lots of friends. I'm sure he'll have a great support team. There are places on the PCT in the Sierras that aren't as inaccessabable as you may think. I did a JMT record attempt in 2000 and we cached food (can't tell you where, the rangers would be pissed) and had a buddy meet us, and bought food at Red's Meadows. We never had to go more than 2 days without food, and usually only one. So, when you are doing these big mile days, and have full support (as Horton no doubt will) The problems are different. Route finding is a big one as he will be out after dark often and there are many side trails. It's not easy to think clearly when you have just done a 340 mile week! Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Horton does, but he has lots of experience and determination. Weather will prove interesting also.
But, check out Wall's book, it's a good one for those of you interested in this kind of hiking. (i read Horton's AT record setting book and it was not nearly the detail of Wall's) fh

Ridge
04-29-2005, 00:49
My hubby(Ridge) and his foot injured cousin(choppedsteak) are attempting to take the longest to complete the PCT. At last check they are averaging about 5 miles per day or less. Haven't gotten to the snowed in Sierra's yet.

Hikerhead
04-29-2005, 00:57
My hubby(Ridge) and his foot injured cousin(choppedsteak) are attempting to take the longest to complete the PCT. At last check they are averaging about 5 mph or less. Haven't gotten to the snowed in Sierra's yet.

Good day!!!!! They must be doing aound 50 miles a day!! :D

The Sierra's might slow them down to around 40/day.

Ridge
04-29-2005, 02:23
Good day!!!!! They must be doing aound 50 miles a day!! :D

The Sierra's might slow them down to around 40/day.

Thank you for catching this; my mistake. I should have said 0.5 mph for 10 hours a day. I did go back and edit my post to reflect the blazing 5 miles per day or less they are achieving.

Nean
04-29-2005, 07:48
Shadow hiked in 97 and didn't hike to be recognized. Imagine that!!:clap I met him soon after his hike ended- he'd gotten back on the trail since he still had a few more weeks to spare. I grilled him for about 24hrs and was satisfied he did what he said. I thought Robinson did the trail in- 84 days? Then again, there was a guy, a long, looong time ago who claimed to thruhike the AT 7 years in a row:D

Lone Wolf
04-29-2005, 07:50
Yeah but thru-hiking the AT 7 years in a row is pretty easy.

Nean
04-29-2005, 08:30
You gots that right:banana

A-Train
04-29-2005, 12:48
I thought the whole point of hiking was the lack of competition?

Nean
04-30-2005, 10:31
That is the point for most of us A-Train, but everyone hikes for their own reasons- as they should. You know it's true when I note there are some extremely competitive people on the trail. Some folks will race, in order to beat you- to the next shelter, water source, town, etc. Not everyone can just switch gears from the man made world to the real world. I say set a good example and maybe they will see the beauty of why we hike.:)

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 13:12
According to Horton's website, in a few hours he'll be done with the PCT. Today is day 67. Congrats Horty!!
http://www.montrail.com/assets/Misc%20Copy/horton_log.htm

MOWGLI
08-09-2005, 13:30
I thru-hiked the PCT in my sleep last night. Woke up totally rested. What do I win? :banana :D

chris
08-09-2005, 14:02
According to Horton's website, in a few hours he'll be done with the PCT. Today is day 67. Congrats Horty!!
http://www.montrail.com/assets/Misc%20Copy/horton_log.htm

When I finished up my Stevens Pass loop on Friday, I ran into a support guy who was hiking a pint of Hagen-Daas into David. Going from Stevens to the border in 4 someodd days is really hauling ass.

Footslogger
08-09-2005, 14:22
I thru-hiked the PCT in my sleep last night. Woke up totally rested. What do I win? :banana :D================================================
That's a good one. Man ...if I could only get credit for all the miles hiked in my sleep !!

'Slogger

Bankrobber
08-09-2005, 14:28
Good luck to this guy. I would not want to be him. Over the last two weeks I hiked the southern half of the JMT. I was hiking around 18 miles a day, and it kicked my butt. The climbs are huge and I was hailed on twice crossing Pinchot and Muir Passes. It was definitely a challenge.

JonBusta
08-23-2005, 19:52
Does anyone know if this record will be noted as supported? Just seems they should have a supported record time and unsupported as well...

fiddlehead
08-24-2005, 01:26
Congratulations Horton. I figured you'd beat Wall with your skills and amazing support people. Wall's trip still amazes me that he went without cooking food and often resupplied himself from candy bar machines.
But your beating his time by 15+ days is amazing also. Especially in a high snow year. I was wondering why you didn't wait a little longer to start and let the snow melt a little.
What's next? CO trail? AZ trail? I think the Annapurna circuit in Nepal could be done in about 4 days if you were acclimated.