PDA

View Full Version : gear list a few days before i leave

timmy_toes
03-22-2012, 11:57
Hey let me know what ya think of my gear list please

http://www.ultralightthruhike.com/2012/03/my-gear-list.html (http://www.ultralightthruhike.com/2012/03/my-gear-list.html)

Leaving in a few days any last minute suggestions would be great for my sleepless nights

ScottP
03-22-2012, 12:18
looks fine. I'd add in 1 gatorade bottle.

You could drop the second sleeping pad+pillow, tp, REI cup

After a few weeks you can probably drop the down jacket, gloves, and pants

timmy_toes
03-22-2012, 14:14
wait you dont need tp???

nox
03-22-2012, 14:37
yes you do.. I'm not sure why anyone would say not to, other than to ruin your day/ hike

RedBeerd
03-22-2012, 15:08
Ive noticed a lot of leaf advocates here. At minimal weight I gladly carry some charmin ultra triple ply tp :) just cause you can use leaves and such, doesnt mean you have to!

ScottP
03-22-2012, 18:48
wait you dont need tp???

I've never carried TP on my hikes.

Leaves (the waxy underside of green rhodo leaves work nicely), moss (dust it off first and use the green side), snow, etc. Never had any issues.

Worst case scenario is the guidebook pages for the area you've just walked through, although on the AT that's pretty much never needed.

kythruhiker
03-22-2012, 20:35
Can't get the geargrams site to load on this PC for some reason...but I personally wouldn't omit TP.

Papa D
03-22-2012, 20:43
Take a little TP - you can be very LNT and use a little - - if you think about it, try to use just a couple of squares - - fold them around a few leaves - - this gives the "wad" the bulk you may be used to. Have a fun hike.

RodentWhisperer
03-22-2012, 20:48
TP is something I take only when my wife accompanied me. I'm not a leaf advocate; I've used them before, and used thick grass damp from the morning dew-- that last one might be difficult to do on the AT, but it works nicely in the mountains-- cleansing and refreshing, IMO.

I've also found that if I'm going out for a weekend, I can easily swipe a napkin or two from whatever fast-food joint is near the trailhead! One per day and I'm set. Easy to use, easy to pack out. There's something grossly satisfying about it, too, if you find it politically incorrect to eat at/spend your money at the corporate conglomerates that sell fast food. :)

timmy_toes
03-22-2012, 23:09
I've also found that if I'm going out for a weekend, I can easily swipe a napkin or two from whatever fast-food joint is near the trailhead! One per day and I'm set. Easy to use, easy to pack out. There's something grossly satisfying about it, too, if you find it politically incorrect to eat at/spend your money at the corporate conglomerates that sell fast food. :)

I find this idea rather awesome!