PDA

View Full Version : Help pick a 7 day section starting April 8th

ddgross323
03-22-2012, 13:08
All,

I have all my 3 season gear and arranged for time off (2 travel days 7 trail days) starting April 7 thru 15th. I can't change my approved time off from work at this point and research tells me I do not want to start at Springer Mt. due to too many hikers. I may bring my dog. My dog is pretty good and sleeps (w/no barking) in the tent with me when I camp. I do have a concern that she could make noise if there are a lot of critters (Not certain of that) and I'm aware that I will not be sleeping in shelters due to having my dog.

It's still to early in the season for New England (I did Caratunk to Monson section hike and loved it) and I want to have mountain views so I have little interest in the flat lands. That seems to leave me only on the southern sections that would still be very crowded. Does anyone have any advice on what may be the best section for me? I thought maybe doing SOBO from Franklin, GE to Springer. That way I don't have to subject the same hikers to being around a dog. My dog is a very nice/sweet Siberian Husky but I just want to be as courteous as possible.

Leaving my dog at home is also an option but I'm driving not flying so I don't have to make that decision right now.

Dagwood,

NO_Turtle
03-22-2012, 21:41
Dagwood,

Don't worry about the dog. If you are going to be in a tent don't worry. You probably need to let viewers know your physical conditioning, and experience for them to suggest a hike.

I will be leaving from the Standing Indian area (actually Mount Albert) on April 8th and walking to Fontana Dam. We are planning to walk out Friday at Fontana Dam. We are pretty strong hikers, but if you are not, you could extend your trip until Saturday and still make it back to Texas.

In the middle of the hike is the NOC, sort of a resort, where you can resupply, shower, eat, eat, eat, sleep, take a whitewater rafting trip etc. I would be a nice break in the middle of the hike and allow you to carry less weight on each leg of your trip.

Leave your vehicle at Fontana Dam visitors center, shuttle back to the Standing Indian Area and then walk back to your vehicle.

If you leave your dog at home take the walk through the Smokey Mountain National Park. You'll never regret that hike (70 miles +/-). Call the park service for reservations!

Cookerhiker
03-23-2012, 08:39
It sounds like you're pretty flexible as to location. How about Virginia between Pearisburg and Daleville? It's 92 miles. You could stay at the Renedzvous Motel in Pearisburg the night before, get a shuttle from either the motel folks or Ratface Raines (on WB) to Daleville, and hike south. You'll meet some early NOBO thruhikers but the trail should be less crowded than NC or GA that time of year.

Highlights include McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragons Tooth, the Keffer Oak. Some up & down, some ridge walking. Normally in mid-April you'd have constantviews but with this year's ridiculously early Spring, the trees may have already leafed out. But there are still abundant viewpoints including Wind Rock.

Shouldn't be any problems with your dog for that stretch.

ScottP
03-23-2012, 11:18
Pearisburg to Daleville would be nice, as would going NOBO from Damascus for a week

Anything south of that and you'll be in with lots of thrus, and anything north of that is going to be less scenic or have bad weather/bugs

neonshaw
03-24-2012, 06:04
i went from Erwin to Hot Springs _ about 70 miles. Nice views, the outfitter in HS will shuttle you anywhere and you can leave car safely

jduncan7998
03-24-2012, 07:28
Erwin to Hot Springs or Sams Gap (I26) to Davenport Gap (I40)

Papa D
03-24-2012, 09:30
i went from Erwin to Hot Springs _ about 70 miles. Nice views, the outfitter in HS will shuttle you anywhere and you can leave car safely

This is a nice section and I generally agree - - two things though - you'll need a tent because you will be in the midst of a ton of northbound through hikers and the shelters in this area are mostly old-style concrete block affairs that only sleep a few people and there are no privies.

Since (presumably) you are traveling anyway - from Texas? - - I'd suggest something further north - - it's a warm year and really anything South of Vermont / MA would be great. How about Shenandoah? You could start at Blackburn Trail Center which is a great hostel - their phone number is (540) 338-9028. They will shuttle you south to a wayside - Maybe Tom Floyd? and you could hike back - that's about 50 miles - - you would be hiking in nice springtime weather and way out in front of all but the very fastest thru-hikers.