PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Gravity filter?

Sassafras Lass
03-22-2012, 18:49
Can't find any other post specifically dealing with this, so here goes.

Current filter is tiring . . . the thought of dunking a bag, setting up camp, and then magically have clean water ready for dinner is extremely tempting.

Anyone use this filter? Any thoughts?

grateful 2
03-22-2012, 19:58
Absolutely love mine. Converted over from a great filter, the katahdin hiker pro, to the gravity filter. Weighs about the same. use it with a small cap as a bladder also. You will need to carry something like a cup or bottle to get water out of very shallow watering holes though. It is faster than anything else I have used - except for tablets (YUCK).

Theosus
03-22-2012, 20:50
Sawyer sells just the filter part of their gravity system. It comes with a few hoses and the filter. Since I already have a camel bak, I just bought the filter and a 2L reservoir at walmart for the dirty water side. My plan is to fill the 2L bag, pop the bite valve off the camelback, and plug the inline filter output into the drinking tube. that way I can fill the camelback without pulling it out of the backpack. Then the now empty dirty water bag and the filter roll up and go into a side bellows pocket. About the size of a small pump filter when all rolled up.
The only bad thing is the filter is 1/4" hose barbs, and the walmart bag is 5/16. I had to buy $4 worth of hose barb fittings from Lowes, and while small, they are brass, about the size and weight of a AA battery. All together cheaper than the full Sawyer system, and I'm not wasting a bag. Of course I'm just a weekend warrior, I don't think my longest hike will be more than a week for several years.

mrcoffeect
03-22-2012, 23:34
The only bad thing is the filter is 1/4" hose barbs, and the walmart bag is 5/16. I had to buy $4 worth of hose barb fittings from Lowes, and while small, they are brass, about the size and weight of a AA battery. All together cheaper than the full Sawyer system, and I'm not wasting a bag. Of course I'm just a weekend warrior, I don't think my longest hike will be more than a week for several years.

you can find those fittings made out of plastic at most pet stores that sell tropical fish supplies

rocketsocks
03-23-2012, 02:18
you can find those fittings made out of plastic at most pet stores that sell tropical fish suppliesOr a plumbing suupy house,be careful not to cross thread brass/plastic.

rocketsocks
03-23-2012, 02:19
Or a plumbing suupy house,be careful not to cross thread brass/plastic.Supply...:o:rolleyes:

Ladyofthewoods
03-23-2012, 16:42
I love mine. Just got off the trail where I used it. I saved a little space by not bringing the 'clean' bag. I simply attached the filter to the dirty side and capped off the clean tube end. I scooped water, then when I wanted, took the cap off and let it filter into my water bottles. When I backpack with my husband, we bring both clean and dirty bags. That way, we can filter 3 liters into the clean, then scoop up 3 more liters into the dirty for when we need more water. For myself, just one bag is good. Always keep a cup ready to use as a scooper when you're in a spot where you can't get the bag full.

timmy_toes
03-23-2012, 18:23
are you opposed to chemical treated water?