PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Ultralite and the GoLite Breeze

joe311ny
03-29-2005, 23:42
I'm considering purchasing the Ultralite for my new April-October bag (I just recently returned a Velocity 35 to EMS because it wasn't keeping we warm at 45 degrees). I'm wondering if anyone has used the Ultralite with the Breeze. The advertised stuff size says 7x13. I'm not entirely sure if this will fit in the Breeze ok. The EMS bag was 5x9, so that was never an issue. Any info would be great.

Stuart
03-30-2005, 00:22
Joe,

I use the WM Caribou which stuffs to 6x12 according to WM and it works very well with my Breeze. I would think that the Ultralite would fit with no problem.

wren
03-30-2005, 01:05
I'm considering purchasing the Ultralite for my new April-October bag (I just recently returned a Velocity 35 to EMS because it wasn't keeping we warm at 45 degrees). I'm wondering if anyone has used the Ultralite with the Breeze. The advertised stuff size says 7x13. I'm not entirely sure if this will fit in the Breeze ok. The EMS bag was 5x9, so that was never an issue. Any info would be great.

I recently got a breeze and a 6' versalite super which is just a hair bigger than the ultralite. (stuff size 8x15 vs. 7x13 according to the WM catalog) I took both on a snowshoe trip a few weeks ago. I brought typical backcountry winter gear- shovel, extra clothing, etc, and found that while all that stuff barely fit, it was just a bit too much for the breeze.

However- I just got back from a few days in Arches NP, and since i was carrying spring-summer gear, the breeze/versalite combo worked great. I was really happy with how the breeze carried everything, and how light it all was.

If it helps at all: When im packing the breeze, i put a compactor bag inside, then my 3/4 blue foam pad. This pads everything and creates 'the cylinder', giving the pack some shape. Next i put in another compactor bag full of stuff that has to stay absolutely dry, usually polypro top and bottoms, socks, and a fleece. I squish all the air out of that bag, twist it up and put it in the very bottom of the pack. Food bag and pot go in next. Lastly, i put another compactor bag into the pack and smash the sleeping bag in. Depending on how much food i have, the pack is full to the beginning of the collar at this point, so theres still plenty of room for other stuff i want inside, but still need easy access to. Tarp and groundsheet go in the back mesh pocket, fuel bottle and water go in the side pockets.

Im sure i will tweak the packing method the more i use this setup throughout the spring and summer. Ive decided to use a slightly bigger pack for winter stuff though..

Pencil Pusher
03-30-2005, 01:49
For what it's worth, when shaving ounces imagine how many pounds you can shave by simply losing weight.

alalskaman
03-30-2005, 04:02
So right Pencil Pusher - last summer, doing a lot of hiking, I dropped to 158, I could feel the difference on my feet. That doesn't seem to be a "natural" weight for me though, I tend to creep back up to 165 or so where I have been for the last 30 years or so...

Youngblood
03-30-2005, 08:49
I'm considering purchasing the Ultralite for my new April-October bag (I just recently returned a Velocity 35 to EMS because it wasn't keeping we warm at 45 degrees). I'm wondering if anyone has used the Ultralite with the Breeze. The advertised stuff size says 7x13. I'm not entirely sure if this will fit in the Breeze ok. The EMS bag was 5x9, so that was never an issue. Any info would be great.Yes, I use the long version of the Ultralite and the Breeze. I use close cell foam for support inside the Breeze and place the Ultralite in the bottom of the pack. The Ultralite is a tight fit and I lower it into the pack with it oriented vertically and turn it into a horizontal position as it bottoms out... this probably compresses it a tad more, but it fits. Been doing this for four years.

Youngblood