PDA

View Full Version : section hike suggestions

ATVIRGIN
03-22-2012, 21:45
Looking to do a section hike with my son starting 3rd week of May.

Suggestions? Would like:
1) scenery
2) some challenge
3) easy shuttle/parking
4) we have 7-9 hiking available days, but he might want to quit halfway so would like easy place to do that
5) not too hot
6) easy water and planning and resupply
7) farther south is better since closer. GA is about 9 hrs from us but VA is about 15. Southeast is one day drive=better
8) 40-100 miles

Is NC better than Ga? Should be a little cooler since elev is higher Im thinking.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2012, 08:27
It's a little further than NC or GA but how about between Damascus and Atkins? 75 miles, hike over Mt. Rogers and through the Grayson Highlands. Lone Wolf can shuttle you or help you find someone else if he can't.

moldy
03-23-2012, 09:50
Springer Mt Ga is a great place to begin the Appalachian Trail. To quote the munchkins, "It's always better to start at the start, then follow the yellow brick road". Then on the next trip you can just keep headed North. This section has all those things listed on your requirements.

MedicineMan03
03-27-2012, 12:20
I would suggest the Grayson Highlands. I'm planning to go up there around the same time. Is it not a bit shorter to Trout dale rather than Akins? What is the best way to hit up the Highlands from the AT? I'm looking at coming in at White Top Rd and leaving at Fairview Rd. Does anyone happen to know if there is good parking, the mileage, and shuttle info?

Cookerhiker
03-27-2012, 13:49
I would suggest the Grayson Highlands. I'm planning to go up there around the same time. Is it not a bit shorter to Trout dale rather than Akins? What is the best way to hit up the Highlands from the AT? I'm looking at coming in at White Top Rd and leaving at Fairview Rd. Does anyone happen to know if there is good parking, the mileage, and shuttle info?

Damascus to Troutdale: 49 miles. I suggested Atkins (75 miles) because the OP was talking 7-9 days for his hike.

Best bet for a shuttle is Lone Wolf in Damascus. He can advise you about parking as well.

Kerosene
03-28-2012, 16:57
Grayson Highlands would be a great first hike, but that is up at the VA/NC border. My second choice, the one where I introduced my daughter to backpacking, is from Standing Indian (just north of GA) to Fontana Dam. She had a great time. Try to be flexible so you can hit nice weather, and keep their pack weight to 15% of the body weight at least for this first hike.

Rain Man
03-28-2012, 20:40
I think all the suggestions so far are excellent. Hard to go wrong from GA into VA. I think I'll throw the GSMNP into the mix. It's such an icon, and not just for the AT. Perhaps start at Fontana Dam and hike to Hot Springs.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the suggestions you've gotten.

Rain:sunMan

MuddyWaters
03-28-2012, 22:21
Our packs are very light, For 5 days he would likely carry ~17 lbs starting out, about 13% of bodywt. Not new to backpacking, just AT. Weve hiked in Arkansas before, up to 3 day/2 nights at a time before. Just itching to do something longer, with bigger mountains, and easier shuttling opportunities. Not to mention the allure of the AT.

MuddyWaters
03-28-2012, 22:29
Doggone it, dont know where the first half of my message went on last post?????. Im in similar situation, and planning on getting my teenage son on the AT this yr too. I am considering the same sections for him from GA to VA, or possibly Shenandoah National Park.

He cant wait to say hes done 100 miles or more on the AT, and is excited. However, we are pretty lightweight and he has a bit of experience , so we are willing to commit to longer distances. Im still researching the best shuttle opportunites for ~100 mile type distances to fit us too.

Big Dawg
03-29-2012, 03:03
as others have said,,, Damascus northbound, and the Smokies, are 2 great options!!

Bear-bait
03-29-2012, 17:30
I just finished hiking from Springer MT., GA to Franklin, NC and I have to say that the GA AT is some of the finest trail that I have ever experienced (including the AT in the Whites of NH, Green Mts. of VT, Shenandoah and most of the Catskills in NY) The trail is varied, smooth (few rocks) with reasonable grades and interesting. A fit person could hike roughly 10 miles a day for 7 days between Springer and Bly Gap.

jduncan7998
03-29-2012, 17:55
Davenport Gap (I40) to Sams Gap (I26) or Erwin, TN. The Approach Trail to Deep Gap, NC.

jduncan7998
03-29-2012, 17:57
Here is a nice llittle tool... www.atdist.com (http://www.atdist.com)

ATVIRGIN
04-18-2012, 21:41
I appreciate the suggestions. I am still thinking. We dont have as much time as I had hoped, may be 5-6 hiking days at best now, so about 50-60 miles tops.

1) Franklin to Fontana Dam. 56 miles. This one is really growing on me, real food and resupply at NOC after only 27 miles, means only need to carry
about 3 days food for each part, and get hot meal halfway, right on trail, AND a good place to quit.

How is the this section? Seems shuttle should be easy enough .

ATVIRGIN
04-18-2012, 21:50
As much as Id like to say we hiked part of the smokies, the rules there really bother me for hiking a section there.. If I make reservations and its raining that week, I might want to go a few days later,etc. but cant. Or if its raining and want to stay at a shelter an extra night, cant.

Kerosene
04-18-2012, 21:58
My newbie 21-yo daughter and I covered that exact section last May. Lovely section with lovely weather. We were shuttled to-and-from the airport by Jeff and Nancy of The Hike Inn, located in Fontana.

We set out from Winding Stair Gap (US-60/Franklin) at 4 pm and tented in Siler Gap, about 4.2 miles. From there we went 6.8 miles to Wayah Bald Shelter, then 10.6 miles to Wesser Bald Shelter, then 5.7 to NOC where we found that our food box hadn't yet arrived. So, we spent the night at NOC and headed out of the Nantahala Gorge late the next morning, covering 10.5 to Locust Grove Gap (we actually tented each night). From there we did 11.6 to Cable Gap Shelter followed by a short 6.9 to the Dam.

If I had been solo, I would have probably covered this section in 3.5 days, so it was luxurious to take 6.5 days. There are certainly difficult sections, especially if you're not used to walking all day or are carrying too much weight, but I found it to be a very pleasant section all-in-all. One of the most memorable times was sitting next to the river at NOC, drinking a Stone IPA (okay, 2 large bottles) and 'talking trail' with several aspiring thru-hikers on a sunny afternoon. My journal for this section can be found at: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364109

ATVIRGIN
04-18-2012, 22:07
Id really liek to be able to tent on a bald for awesome sunrise/sunset if weather is good. I understand some balds arent "bald "anymore, hence the tall observation towers?? Is there one that still has great views suitable for tenting? Siler?

ATVIRGIN
04-18-2012, 22:10
What kind of selection does the store at NOC have for re-supply? Id really rather not have to mail food for 3 days, but would if needed to.

Kerosene
04-18-2012, 22:39
There's a reasonably level tent site just below the top of Siler Bald. You might consider trying to sleep atop the Wesser Bald Tower, which would show an incredible sunset/sunrise if the weather was nice. Instead of Locust Grove, you could tent at Cheoah Bald. We encountered a few "dog ticks" in the grass, but there is a nice little spring (Mudcap Spring) about half a mile down the hill on the left.

The re-supply at the NOC outfitter is pretty basic and mostly freeze-dried, but it might be sufficient to get you through a few days to Fontana. You might find a few other items at the little store across the street. The re-supply would've worked fine if we had mailed 5 days in advance.

ATVIRGIN
04-18-2012, 22:51
Sounds like a great section. Loved you journal. Really seems like what Im looking for.

We would drive there and leave vehicle at Dam or ??, and get shuttle to Franklin. Probably would be able to hit trail at 4 pm or so if everything went off without problem. I was thinking we would do just about what yall did for day 1 on th e trail.

Kerosene
04-19-2012, 10:02
I suggest that you leave your car at the Fontana Dam Visitor's Center parking lot and then have the Hike Inn (828-479-3677) shuttle you to Winding Stair Gap.

PapaGarrettP
04-19-2012, 10:32
I just hiked the NOC to Blue Ridge Gap (SOBO) and was shuttled by Joyce and Sally (706-896-9339). They live in Hiawassee and for $95 took me and a buddy to the NOC (90 min. by car) and then picked us up at Blue Ridge Gap. My truck stayed safe at their farm.

The route was great. Some challenging mountains and great views. Water was plentiful. And it was kind of neat to see the thru hikers coming against us (we were a rare site for them as no one else was hiking south that week).

ATVIRGIN
05-05-2012, 14:16
Well as always work seems to trash any plans I make.
Looks like now we will have to wait until second week in June.

Thanks to input here I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:

1. Franklin to Fontana (with a much appreciated meal and overnight at NOC)
2. Newfound gap to ~I-40 in the GSMNP
3. Erwin to Roan mountain.

I am reading that Roan should be in full bloom , and that makes that really attractive. But havent read much else about the part from Erwin north except that Unaka mtn is forested with spruce and is pretty cool on top.

GSMNP I read is fantastic, and actually a lot is pretty easy hiking north from Newfound gap?

NC is pretty hard, lots of climbs, but some rewarding views.

Anyone have a preference based on these 3?? I am leaning toward Erwin to Roan mtn, but the nobo climb up Roan is pretty hard.

GritsNgreens
05-05-2012, 14:28
@ATVIRGIN No matter what section you decide allow me to be the 1st to say "Good on you Sir!!" for getting your kid involved and challenging him/her it's refreshing to see parents having their kids do something other than Xbox/Playstation. I am a Drill Instructor and I see 17-20+ yr. old kids come to Boot and they're sweating mayonaise and bacon grease at the 1st sign of actual work....it's pathetic, with that being said....."Good on ya!" and "Thank you"

MedicineMan03
05-22-2012, 11:44
I think Erwin to Roan is an awesome section. Pretty difficult climbs but very rewarding.