PDA

View Full Version : Propane cannister--how long?

Mando12
03-22-2012, 23:41
I picked up a jetboil stove last fall and really like. Have used it on some weekend trips. I plan to take it on a 500 mile section hike next month. My question: if I make a cup of tea in the AM and a freeze dried dinner at night, how many days can I expect a cannister to last? I know "my mileage may vary, yada yada". But since I haven't burned through a cannister yet, I would appreciate hearing what others have experienced, so I can plan. Thanks!

Sinner
03-23-2012, 07:46
I have found out that with not having my jetboil regulator "wide open" I can get about 17-20 boils of 2 cup of water. The main thing is not to have your regulator wide open everytime you get to boiling.

TJ aka Teej
03-23-2012, 07:58
Hi Papa.
Get a fresh can and a black sharpie, and cook until it's empty. Make different marks for just boiling water, for cooking supper, etc. That's the best way I know of.

jburgasser
03-23-2012, 08:02
Hi Papa.
Get a fresh can and a black sharpie, and cook until it's empty. Make different marks for just boiling water, for cooking supper, etc. That's the best way I know of.

What are you marking? How can you "see" the level of fuel in the canister to make your mark?

Stir Fry
03-23-2012, 08:04
I get about 7 day out of small canesters and about 12 day out of the large canesters. Like you I have coffee in am Dinner at night on occasion something hot at lunch. Out side temeratures are in the 30s in am and 40 or so at night.

Spokes
03-23-2012, 11:10
Here's what MSR recommends:

"Fuel Tips:

How Much Fuel Should I Bring?

MSR recommends 4 oz. (114 ml) of liquid fuel per person per day for cooking or 8 oz. (237 ml) of liquid fuel per person per day for melting snow and cooking.** An extremely cold trip, like skiing in Antarctica, may require as much as 15 oz. (444 ml) of liquid fuel per person per day.

How Long will a canister of MSR IsoPro last?

In general one canister of MSR IsoPro fuel will be sufficient to boil water for two people over four days in summer. Wind, low temperatures and longer cooking times will increase fuel consumption."

Senor Jalapeno
03-23-2012, 11:37
The small canister with my pocket rocket last me about 2 weeks of boiling water 2x daily. Just sayin

Spokes
03-23-2012, 11:55
Yep, some hikers are good at saving fuel, others not. Variables like altitude and temp play a part.

Same goes for the alchy stove crowd. I use to measure my fuel out using a 35mm film canister (which is 1 oz.) while others just slosh the stuff then scratch their head when they run out 2 days from the next town.

flemdawg1
03-23-2012, 12:09
Jetboils don't use propane, they use butane or iso-butane.

Mando12
03-23-2012, 12:15
Thanks for all the inputs! I'll take 1 week as my planning number and go from there. I'm going Springer to Marion VA, so the only time it will be an issue for me is through the Smokies (going straight through).

The Snowman
03-23-2012, 19:53
How long a fuel canistor will last depends on the size you buy. Jetboil makes at least 3 sizes

Theosus
03-23-2012, 20:26
I like the 220g size but it doesn't fit in my pot. The small 110g size fits in my snow peak 700 cup with the Giga power stove on top. It halves the stowed size of it all. I boil water for cappuccino and making freeze dried meals. The bigger canister seems to last nicely. I haven't tried the small one yet.