PDA

View Full Version : Back to back Big Mile days?

KnotHere
03-23-2012, 14:06
I have a 5 day section hike coming up covering 100 miles. I am trying to stay at every other shelter in the SNP but that leaves me with a 24 mile day followed by a 22 mile day. My last hike was through the roller coaster in VA and was pretty shot after 15 miles. I am pretty sure I can make the first big mile day but wanted some advice as to dealing with the second one.

I'm planning on 6AM departures and averaging 2mph with a 30 min lunch. I'm mid 30's, fairly good shape and lugging 30lbs.

What has helped or hurt you in these situations?

ScottP
03-23-2012, 14:26
Being fit and carrying less weight both on your body/in your pack.

If 15 miles made you feel pretty shot and you're not in better shape now, doing 48 miles in two days might not be a smart plan.

DripDry
03-23-2012, 14:28
+1 on that. SNP is as easy as it gets from a terrain perspective, but miles are still miles.

KnotHere
03-23-2012, 14:45
BTW, here is the route and area mileage listed each day..
http://knotherewondering.blogspot.com/2012/03/5-days-in-shenandoah-national-park.html

peakbagger
03-23-2012, 16:53
I learned over the years, stop every hour for 5 minutes, it felt foolish in the morning but its noticable to me in the afternoon if I skipped the morning breaks. I also need to stay hydrated and drink lots of electrolytes. I switched to Nunn tabs lately but used to carry premeasured scoops of gatoraide. That and theres no subsitute for stopping at a cold stream, taking off your shoes and socks and soaking your feet for a few minutes.

tdoczi
03-23-2012, 16:55
roller coaster killed me too. i havent hiked in SNP yet but ive had little trouble doing the mileage youre talking about in other places, so i wouldnt take struggling with the rollercoaster to mean you cant do it.

tdoczi
03-23-2012, 16:55
is there really no way to make day 2 longer and day 3 shorter? none at all?

max patch
03-23-2012, 17:11
is there really no way to make day 2 longer and day 3 shorter? none at all?.

Sure, don't stay in a shelter.

atmilkman
03-23-2012, 17:36
I learned over the years, stop every hour for 5 minutes, it felt foolish in the morning but its noticable to me in the afternoon if I skipped the morning breaks. I also need to stay hydrated and drink lots of electrolytes. I switched to Nunn tabs lately but used to carry premeasured scoops of gatoraide. That and theres no subsitute for stopping at a cold stream, taking off your shoes and socks and soaking your feet for a few minutes.
I like the 55-5 method too. When it's blistering hot (like on the FT) some of my fellow hikers and myself will do the 45-15 during the peak of the day. It can be a lifesaver.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2012, 17:44
I seem to remember the trail was really easy at each end, but there were a number of little pain in the butt climbs in the middle section. It is of course easier to do the big miles where there isn't much up and down, so you really need to see the trail profile to decide how much milage to do.

If you can get your pack down to a more reasonable 20 pounds, that would help a lot.

Datto
03-23-2012, 18:49
When I thru-hiked the AT in Year 2000, these were my miles after having hiked more than 800 miles to get to Shenandoah National Park and had been on the Trail for 80 days carrying a 35lb pack on average from Springer:

1st Shenandoah Hike Day = 20.0 mile day (leaving Rockfish Gap/Waynesboro) - End of June 2000
2nd Shenandoah Hike Day = 13.2 mile day
3rd Shenandoah Hike Day = 20.0 mile day
4th Shenandoah Hike Day = 12.1 mile day
5th Shenandoah Hike Day = 15.3 mile day
6th Shenandoah Hike Day = 24.5 mile day (arriving Tom Floyd Shelter after having yelled at a bear, "You stinking wussy!")

Datto
03-23-2012, 18:54
Along the Trail today are new signs, "Warning -- Problem Bears In This Area -- May Approach You, Even Aggressively."

Fennel and Luke found out - one bear stood on his hind legs and snapped his teeth at them on the Trail. They yelled back,"You stinking wussy!" or something like that. Well, if the rules won't let you ride 'em, might as well joke around with 'em, right? Just like the IRS.
------------------

Tonight was another long night hike. At mile 22 I stumbled my way to a cliff face -- maybe this night hiking thing wasn't such a good idea.

Where I'd originally planned to camp, a log had been brutally torn to shreds by a bear. I yelled the requisite, "You stinking wussy!" aloud just to let the bear know I meant business before leaving the area and heading for the next shelter.

Datto

tdoczi
03-23-2012, 20:31

Sure, don't stay in a shelter.

well i'm not the OP but if i were planning this hike then i'd forego the shelters if it meant hiking only 15 miles one day and then 24 the next.

KnotHere
03-23-2012, 22:48
OP here. Thanks for the stories. As far as the not getting to the shelters goes, I've switched to a hammock so I feel like I have more freedom in where I put up for the night. I was planning in caching some food in the car at the halfway point do I'd like to make it but not at the risk if injury.

Bears... Can't wait! I love seeing them but my hiking buddy is scared s-less of them. Either way we both seem to hike a tad quicker after crossing them, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
03-24-2012, 22:43
Plus one on the electrolytes and stopping every hour for a short break. Start early and hike till the sun lowers in the sky and you should have no problem pulling back to back 20+ mile days.
I wouldn't push myself though if there were risk for injury. With that being said, do look at the terrain and see where those big miles are probable and go for it.

Kerosene
03-25-2012, 10:32
Another technique that has worked for me is to eat a good-sized "early dinner" in late afternoon of a big mileage day. That practice has helped me put in another 7+ miles in early evening. This can work for hiking past dark also, but typically your pace will need to slow down after dark. I think it is very doable to do back-to-back 20-mile days, at least down south, although it helps if the weather is cooperating. As a 50-year old carrying 26 pounds I went from Atkins to Damascus under lovely early June skies with daily mileages of 22.2, 20.0, 23.7, and a half day of 9.4 into town. I averaged about 2.0 mph throughout the day, including breaks, with hourly walking averages of about 2.4-3.1 mph. The big contributors for me were temperatures in the mid-60s, a relatively smooth trail surface, and incredible vistas pulling me forward.

Jim Adams
03-25-2012, 16:14
start at 6am and hike 3 mph for 2 hours. stop for a 10 minute break. hike 2 more hours at 3 mph. take a 10 minute break. hike 2 more hours at 3 mph. stop for a 1 hour break at lunch with 18 miles done and then cruise the rest of the day.....alot easier than it sounds! Gator and Mainiak taught me that in 1990 and it worked great until I turned 55 y/o...still do the same but less interval for an easy 15 mile day now.

geek

Deadeye
03-25-2012, 21:23
All good suggestions, but in all seriousness, I'd suggest not planning on 100 miles in 5 days. Cut it back to some earlier departure point - if you have the legs to keep going, then keep on going. I finally figured this out a couple years ago; I planned a hike and wanted to get it done in 4 days, but had the option to use 5. Once I realized (on day 2) that I wasn't going to make it comfortably in 4, I was liberated! I enjoyed the hike more (and I don't mind big miles), and had another night/day in the woods.

If you only make 80 miles in those 5 days, so what... the other 20 will still be there when you get back.

But if you insist: hike before breakfast, have plenty to eat and drink, break the day into sections, eat dinner and hike some more.

DaSchwartz
03-25-2012, 22:10
All good suggestions, but in all seriousness, I'd suggest not planning on 100 miles in 5 days..

Agreed, especially on raw legs starting out. I suggest the OP at least giving himself/herself more time to complete the mileage. Very few can actually do 100 miles on 5 days cold, then throw in the rain and wetness of the Smokies, which will happen.

tdoczi
03-26-2012, 06:48
Agreed, especially on raw legs starting out. I suggest the OP at least giving himself/herself more time to complete the mileage. Very few can actually do 100 miles on 5 days cold, then throw in the rain and wetness of the Smokies, which will happen.

it probably will be raining in the smokies, but while it is, the OP will be hiking in shenandoah.

i do multiple 20 mile days cold all the time. this notion that you cant or shouldnt is one of my favs.

KnotHere
04-05-2012, 20:04
OP here. So I gave it a shot and found that I am unable to do those kind of miles at this point. I ended up with a 37lb pack and was slowed down drastically by my hiking partner.
We hiked through 3 thunderstorms and 2 hours at night with no supper. The odds were stacked against me.
I think that with my normal pack of 27lbs and keeping MY pace I could have done two days of 20 miles max.

I guess we never know till we push ourselves.

johnnybgood
04-05-2012, 20:21
It seems like you know what needs to be done to do consecutive 20 mile days...lower pack weight and hiking alone.
I usually hike FASTER when pushed by a hiking partner
BTW, I lived in Shenandoah for 19 years . Way cool seeing someone from my hometown.

tdoczi
04-05-2012, 22:50
OP here. So I gave it a shot and found that I am unable to do those kind of miles at this point. I ended up with a 37lb pack and was slowed down drastically by my hiking partner.
We hiked through 3 thunderstorms and 2 hours at night with no supper. The odds were stacked against me.
I think that with my normal pack of 27lbs and keeping MY pace I could have done two days of 20 miles max.

I guess we never know till we push ourselves.

you know what a good way of getting an idea if you and your partner can do consecutive 20 mile days is? start out by trying to do a single 17 or 18 mile day and seeing how that goes. seems like you never did that. oh well.