PDA

View Full Version : western mountaineering sleeping bag

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 15:22
What are your thoughts on the Ultralite Western Mountaineering Sleeping bag? I am wanting to upgrade from a 12 yr old North Face Cat's meow. I'm looking for the same durability except less weight. Thanks.

Kerosene
03-23-2012, 15:50
Most definitely, go for it! --Satisfied owner of an UltraLite since 2004 (and a HighLite since '05)

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-23-2012, 15:52
Look in to the golight http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-800-Fill-3-Season-Quilt-Regular-P46821.aspx a few oz less and about $200 less. only the golight is a quit and not a mummy bag. Personally once I get enough money am going with the golight.

Tom Murphy
03-23-2012, 15:52
What are your thoughts on the Ultralite Western Mountaineering Sleeping bag? I am wanting to upgrade from a 12 yr old North Face Cat's meow. I'm looking for the same durability except less weight. Thanks.

I would buy a WM bag if I could afford it. The only criticism I have ever heard the the cost.

I have a few MARMOT bags and like them alot. Their temp rating has proven true for me. So I would suggest the MARMOT Plasma 15 or Plasma 30 as an budget alternative [relative to WM].

bigcranky
03-23-2012, 16:30
Same durability? Maybe, depending on what you mean. The shell fabric is lighter and requires more care. However, the down will keep its loft for many more years than a synthetic bag.

Also, try this bag on before buying. It's a slim cut mummy. My wife had one, and my shoulders were too large for it. WM makes a wider-cut 20F mummy if that fits you better.

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 16:34
I'm 6' 1" 190 lbs

ScottP
03-23-2012, 16:38
I own two WM products.

happy with both of them.

RWheeler
03-23-2012, 17:11
I have a SummerLite and very much enjoy it so far. Once I have the money to, and the environmental demands necessary for it, I'll be getting an UltraLite with NO hesitation.

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 19:07
Thanks for the suggestions...i'm planning a 100 mile section hike on the AT in February 2012 from Davenport Gap to Erwin, TN...my 1st choice will be the WM ultralite and my 2nd choice is the Mountain Hardware Piute 20 and my 3rd choice is one of the Marmot Plasma bags...i still have time to decide...

RWheeler
03-23-2012, 19:11
You mean 2013? Or another month? Or have a flux capacitor and a DeLorean?

Either way, all three bags are excellent choices.

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 19:17
yea..i mean 2013...i'm in afghanistan and have been up all night...i've gotten about 10 hrs of sleep in the past 36 hrs...

HiKen2011
03-23-2012, 19:19
yea..i mean 2013...i'm in afghanistan and have been up all night...i've gotten about 10 hrs of sleep in the past 36 hrs...
Stay safe my friend!

jduncan7998
03-23-2012, 19:28
Thanks!! i will. I'm just glad that this is my 5th and final deployment, since i'll be getting out next year.
Stay safe my friend!

Khike
03-23-2012, 21:20
Yeah, I have a WM Megalite. 6'6". Real nice Bag. I slept in 30 degree weather near Neel's Gap in my underwear and no socks! A few times during the night I had to pull my feet up from the end for a while cause they got cold. Nice bag and always a pleasure to get in it at the end of a long day. Good advice on trying it out first. I tried to order a Summer Lite on line -cause I liked the red color-and the guy told me no that it would be too tight. So I took his advice and went somewhere that I could try them out and he was right. The Summer Lite was way too tight. The Megalite was perfect. I roll around in it a lot when I sleep, never a problem. Pricey but nice. Kevin

Khike
03-23-2012, 21:22
Oh yeah, 29 ozs in it's bag. Kevin

MuddyWaters
03-23-2012, 22:31
For durability, you dont want an extremely light bag. A lot of that weight is achieved using extremely light weight fragile fabrics that require care to avoid damage.

Western mountaineering isnt the only maker of top quality bags. Check out Feathered Friends too.

WM makes some great bags though. IF I recall correctly, you can find the EN ratings on some European sites, they just dont publicize them here.

The summerlite is 35F comfort rated, the Ultralite is 17F I recall, and the Megalite is 28F.

The Feathered Friends 30 degree bags have more down wt than the WM, and probably are good to ~25. Come in different sizes from the Merlin at 58" chest (smaller than the Summerlite), Osprey at 60 ( a little larger than summerlite) to Kestrel at 64" chest that is about like the Megalite, all in 30F. Heavier due to more down, and maybe a little more robust fabric.

gypsy97
03-23-2012, 22:36
I bought a WM Antelope just before leaving for my 1997 thru hike attempt. It was the most wonderful sleeping bag I've ever experienced - warm, comfortable, incredible loft. In a shelter I always got comments about the fantastic loft. It's worth the price if you decide to go for it.

msupple
03-23-2012, 23:36
I have a 30 deg Megalite....been down to the low to mid twenties with it. I love the bag.

skinewmexico
03-24-2012, 03:06
I had to get a megalite to fit my shoulders. Great bag. Too bad I mostly use quilts now, and I can't bring myself to convert. I'll have to get a Nunatak some day. And I think one of the Feathered Friends bags was rated above the WM in a BPL test.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-24-2012, 04:00
I have a 30 deg Megalite....been down to the low to mid twenties with it. I love the bag. now am wondering if that will keep you warm on the AT. Am from CA and could not think of doing the JMT, being up to 10,0000ft and higher. If you think you can I need to rethink my bag

Maddog
03-24-2012, 05:07
I have a WM Versalite that i wouldn't trade for the world! Go for it, WM is worth the price!

stranger
03-24-2012, 05:54

I highly recommend Western Mountaineering bags...as for the Ultralight, it's lighter for a reason...it's a real narrow bag. I like semi-rectangular bags and am a satisfied owner of both a Sycamore and Mightylite, excellent bags and well worth the money. It's not like a pack or shoes...you don't wear out a good bag, can easily last 20 years of hard use IMO if stored and cleaned properly.

BrianLe
03-24-2012, 16:44
A definite upgrade. I actually own both cat's meow bags (my wife and I had a pair that we've since passed on to our daughters) and a WM ultralite. Big difference.

jduncan7998
03-24-2012, 18:43
Thanks for all the input...i think the only thing that will stop me from getting a WM bag is the price, And how often i would use it. But i know i need a new bag. When i get back home, i'll stop by a dealer and test several out. I know i'll have the money if i decide to get a WM bag.

Big Dawg
03-24-2012, 18:53
I wish REI sold Western Mountaineering

Moose2001
03-24-2012, 20:21
what's it worth to you to be warm and comfortable on one of those single digits nights in the Smokies? I've been cold and uncomfortable WITHOUT my WM. Never again! Trust me, it's the best gear investment you'll make.

msupple
03-25-2012, 14:36
now am wondering if that will keep you warm on the AT. Am from CA and could not think of doing the JMT, being up to 10,0000ft and higher. If you think you can I need to rethink my bag

We...I'm leaving Springer about April 1st and I'm bringing the Megalite. If I had left in Feb. or early March I would have re-thought it too. We're having an unusually dry and warm year and that is predicted to continue. I have much confidence that I've made the correct decision.

daddytwosticks
03-25-2012, 14:53
Thanks for all the input...i think the only thing that will stop me from getting a WM bag is the price, And how often i would use it. But i know i need a new bag. When i get back home, i'll stop by a dealer and test several out. I know i'll have the money if i decide to get a WM bag. You will be happy. This will be the last sleeping bag you need to buy. :)

double d
03-25-2012, 15:07
WM is one of the best makers of back packing sleeping bags and even better that they are American made sleeping bags. Also, they use 850 down as fill for all of their bags, so yes they are expensive, but as the old saying goes....you get what you pay for.

gumball
03-25-2012, 21:08
Husband and I both have the WM Ultralite and have Done hundreds of miles with them. Great bag.

Rusty Nail
03-25-2012, 21:41
We...I'm leaving Springer about April 1st and I'm bringing the Megalite. If I had left in Feb. or early March I would have re-thought it too. We're having an unusually dry and warm year and that is predicted to continue. I have much confidence that I've made the correct decision.

I am leaving at the same time with the same bag. I too have no worries about being a 30* bag.

stranger
03-25-2012, 21:42
There are bags that match WM, no question...I think Marmot, Feathered Friends and Mont-bell all make comparable bags, but in terms of price, they are all going to be expensive. A friend of mine who worked in the outdoor industry for 26 years swore up and down that in 2008 Marmot had a better baffling system than WM, and Marmot had the ability to discount their bags as they are a much bigger company. I don't buy WM because they are expensive or American made...I have 2 WM bags because for my needs they make the best bags for me, light, down, semi-rectangular, beautiful construction, etc...

If I wanted a plain, straight up mummy bag...not 100% convinced i would go with a WM, but in any case, don't let $$$ determine a product you can use for 20 years. Also, check out some bags from Exped, Mont and Mammut...all very light, beautiful bags, might catch a deal somewhere.

BradMT
03-26-2012, 08:42
Have had four WM bags... wife and I currently have Versalite's and our hiking partner an Antelope. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

I'd stay away from the Ultralight however... for your size and build I can almost guarantee it's too narrow. I'm 5'10/160 and I don't like a bag that narrow any more.

Were I in your shoes I'd go WM Alpinlite and not look back.

jduncan7998
03-28-2012, 00:55
I think i have decided to go with a Feathered Friends bag. Thanks for all the Great advice and suggestions!!

q-tip
03-28-2012, 17:47
I am buying the WM Alpinlite for my CT hike this July. I own a Kodiak (0) and a Tamarak (30) and love them both. Best money I could have spent.

Hops53
03-28-2012, 19:13
Have the zero degree bag -awesome- light, warm all winter.