PDA

View Full Version : Kayak trip in Russia

mattabbotts
03-23-2012, 19:07
I know this is a little off topic for the AT but I figured someone on here might be interested. Also, I am a former thru hiker (2008, trail name Marathon) so I might have met some of you.

After my AT hike my feet were pretty beat up and I was really tired of hiking so I got really into kayak touring. My wife and I circumnavigated Lake Superior in 2009.

This summer the two of us and a friend of ours will be heading to Russia to paddle around the other largest lake in the world, Lake Baikal. We are putting all of our photos, journals, and other updates from the trip on our website www.asuperioradventure.com (http://www.asuperioradventure.com/) and we'd like to spread the word to anyone who's interested in following along. Also, we're working on putting together a film about the trip - if you're interested in learning more - check out http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/44957095/lake-baikal-skimming-the-surface-a-kayak-documenta

Just thought I'd share.

Happy trails
Matt Abbotts

Spokes
03-23-2012, 20:41
Cool. I suspect there's a lot of similarities between hike camping and kayak camping.

Did any of your AT thru hike experiences or lessons learned transfer over to your kayak touring?

mattabbotts
03-24-2012, 09:23
Long distance kayak tours are a lot like long distance hikes. You can just put more stuff in a boat and you don't have to carry it. The AT got me used to living outside and helped me develop a good day to day routine. At the end of the day it's all just camping no matter what mode of transit you choose.

swjohnsey
03-24-2012, 17:59
While you were paddlin' 'round the lake I was paddlin' down the Mississippi. Similar. Get up walk all day, sleep or get up paddle all day, sleep. You can carry more stuff in a kayak. Of course you ain't likely to drown on the trail.

Spokes
03-24-2012, 19:47
......Of course you ain't likely to drown on the trail.

I came close in 2009! :D

Odd Man Out
03-25-2012, 00:02
Cool. I recently met a person who is planning a sea kayak trip around the norther tip of Labrador. From Nain to Kangiqsualujjuaq, I think. Sounds like Baikal would be equally epic.

lunchbx
03-25-2012, 03:55
I came close in 2009! :D

Please share the story spokes I'm interested in hearing how you almost drowned on the AT. Some might be upset if you change the thread topic by doing so but who cares :)

lunchbx
03-25-2012, 03:58
one of my bucket list outdoor adventures is to kayak the length of the Delaware and possibly continue down the eastern shore and if logistically possible continue island hopping to Puerto Rico. What do some of you more experienced kayakers think about a trip like this? How feasible is it to go from the Florida coast to PR in a ocean kayak? I mean, I've hear stories of people making it from Cuba to Florida in little more than a few inner tubes lashed together so I know its not an impossible feat.

swjohnsey
03-25-2012, 06:17
It's probably not impossible . . . but close. How long have you sat in a kayak at on stretch?

Spokes
03-25-2012, 08:35
Please share the story spokes I'm interested in hearing how you almost drowned on the AT. Some might be upset if you change the thread topic by doing so but who cares :)

Let's just say it was a very wet year. At least you're required to wear a PFD in a kayak.

BTW, did you know you can drown in a bowl of soup?

Marta
03-25-2012, 13:21
That is an incredible place. When we arrived in Listvyanka in the middle of May 1995 it was snowing lightly, and there were big piles of ice on the shore. The water was as cold as liquid water can be. Brrr. Looking down on the Angara River where all the water drains out of the lake...it was dizzying. What a challenge the trip will be! Good luck!

The Solemates
03-26-2012, 10:00
i just got back from ukraine. thats a long way from baikal but closer than we are now at our computers!

didnt get to hike, but there was some nice country out there.

be sure to read 'a long trek home' and 'as far as my feet with carry me' before your trip!

Marta
03-26-2012, 16:34
i just got back from ukraine. thats a long way from baikal but closer than we are now at our computers!

didnt get to hike, but there was some nice country out there.

be sure to read 'a long trek home' and 'as far as my feet with carry me' before your trip!

Where did you go in Ukraine?

You're not kidding Baikal is a long way from there. We flew from Nizhny Novgorod to Irkutsk. It was a 7-hour flight in a large jet. Irkutsk is due north of Hanoi!

The Solemates
03-26-2012, 17:27
went primarily to kiev, but ventured out into the countryside on 2 days. its a cold dark world up there. you could easily get lost in those forests - they all look the same.

fiddlehead
03-26-2012, 18:42
I spent a week in Irkutsk/Baikal in Dec 1992. Cool place. (literally and figuratively)
We had been in Russia a month already and by then could speak some Russian and read many of the signs as we learned the alphabet.
Might be a good idea to do that as many Russian's don't speak any English.
Although all their officers in the military are required to and many of their wives (who like to flirt I might add), did too.

We had a great trip and hung out in Irkutsk except for 2 nights on the shores of Baikal.
Is it a whitewater trip or a sea kayak kind of paddle?

It's not the biggest lake in the world, it's the deepest. (and has the most water I believe because of it's depth) so, close enough.

Have a great trip. (pictures when you get back)

fiddlehead
03-26-2012, 19:09
OK read through much of your webpage. Very interesting.
I'm thinking that food may be a slight problem acquiring once you are there.
I remember trying to buy food and there were shortages as they were just coming out of communism and weren't used to planning ahead and potatoes were all frozen (and useless) and the meat was so tough.
Now of course it's 20 years later and they are quite the capitalists (I see many of them here in Thailand now) and probably the towns along the shore will have everything you need.
But just beware of the fact that they might not and you will have to be flexible in your eating habits.
Of course I would think fish will be your number one source of food.
And maybe you can even buy it from the fishing boats. Although when I was there, it was Dec and about 20 below zero (lake still not frozen over) and not too many people were out fishing. (wind was blowing like crazy too)
Of course June should be great.
I have some Russian friends here now but none are from Irtkutsk or Baikal area.
I've bookmarked your site to keep track and see the pics.