PDA

View Full Version : About Time I Introduced Myself

Stoker53
03-30-2005, 11:47
I stumbled across WB.net while researching a planned trip to Mt. Rogers in VA. I have been visiting daily and have even posted a few times.

I was born and spent my early years in West NC. Seems I've been in the woods most of my life. My early childhood was filled with hunting /fishing with my dad. Lived in the Shenandoah Valley just N of Roanoke for 9 years then moved to Scotsdale AZ in the mid 60's where I was introduced to backpacking in the boy scouts. Been hooked ever since. Though I no longer hunt ( meat at Kroger is quite good ) I'm still an avid trout fisherman. Terrible w/a fly rod but I can spin cast with the best. And yes I will use red worms, salmon eggs and "stick bait" but small spinners are my favorite.

Moved to middle TN in the late 60's where I finished HS and college. Got married in 1976 ( still married to the same woman ) then got a job in Hibbing MN where I spent 3 winters. Got my first serious winter camping experience with guys who really knew how to have fun in insane temps.

Moved back to middle TN in the early 80's where I raised 2 daughters , started/closed a bicycle shop, and have been working in manufacturing plants since 1991. First in a heatlh and beauty care products company and now in a computer assembly plant. Most of the mfg jobs have been in production control and materials planning.

For the last 25 years I have hiked primarily with 3 other guys ( we named our little group the "Cumberland Expeditionery Farce" ) and with the occasional invited guest. I sadly admitt that we have broken a few folks on some of our Jan weeklong pack trips to the mtns of east TN / west NC but so far, aside from a few insulin reactions ( one of the CEF members is a diabetic ) no one has died or suffered worse than blisters and sore knees.

As I get older, and closer to retirement, I find myself day dreaming about a thru hike. One day, Lord willing, i'll set out from Springer and go until I stop having fun or reach Katahdin which ever comes first.

Please be advised that I can be a smartass at times and will fully accept whatever consequences my behavior brings upon me.

Guess that's about all for now. Sorry for the long post and I truly am glad to be here.

Stoker53

hikerjohnd
03-30-2005, 12:34
Please be advised that I can be a smartass at times and will fully accept whatever consequences my behavior brings upon me.
:welcome Welcome to WB! You're going to fit right in!!

neo
03-30-2005, 13:02
welcome to whiteblaze stoker53,this is a great place,lotta great people,info

pictures and experince here,plus a good number of whiteblazers from middle tennessee also,i am glad you found this site,happy trails to ya :cool: neo

MOWGLI
03-30-2005, 13:07

Geez, not another smartass from Tennessee!! I don't like competition. :welcome

Brushy Sage
03-30-2005, 15:48
Where in western NC did you live, and what made you move to TN?

Stoker53
03-30-2005, 16:08
Where in western NC did you live, and what made you move to TN?
BS...Was born in Murphy NC. My dad was from Andrews and my mom from Marble. We moved to TN from AZ between 7th and 8th grade. Mom worked for GE and she was transfered to the facility in Murfreesboro TN.

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 16:38
Anybody from Tenn. is a friend of this Texan.

Stoker53
03-30-2005, 19:11
Anybody from Tenn. is a friend of this Texan.

Thanks Dew. I work for a comapny whose corp hq is in Austin. I love to tell them that they need to treat me with some respect. I'f if weren't for us Tenn folks Tx would be the northern most state in Mexico.:p

BTW are the blue bonnets blooming yet?

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 19:21
Yeah, us Texans love us some Tenn. folk. The Blue Bonnets aren't out yet, but I heard they were south of here around the San Antonio area.

Bowie, Crocket, Sam Houston...all Tenn/Texas boys

VAMTNHIKER
03-31-2005, 08:37
Stoker53,

Welcome to the forum! Look forward to conversing in the future! :welcome