PDA

View Full Version : MA to ME Section Hike (summer)

RangerPhil
03-24-2012, 11:45
Hey folks...hope everybody is getting ready for trail season! I spent 4 days backpacking in CT and MA two weeks ago. It was a great trip, albeit lonely (literally NOBODY was out yet). Also, north side of Bear Mountain in CT was icy and dangerous - only place on the trip where I didn't feel totally comfortable in the environment. I'm sure with the additional melting we've had the past few weeks that portion of the trail is now good to go.

Onto the purpose of this post. I'm looking to pick up where in left off in MA this summer. Potentially thinking about going all the way up to Katadhin. I'm looking for the ears of the seasoned vets here: What would be the best time to start? I am willing to commit anywhere between one and two months, but need to be off trail by the last week in August at the very latest. When do thru-hikers normally start hitting the Massachusetts area? I'm in good shape and travel light, so I'm hoping I can average 15 miles a day till I hit the Whites. After that, I'm not sure what mileages end up being like for in-shape hikers. Are there any places I MUST stop because of a great hostel, great town, local activities/events, etc? Are there any towns/hostels/ I should avoid?

Any and all advice on these topics or others is much appreciated and welcome!

Phil