PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah suggestions

Kdperkins
03-24-2012, 19:44
My friend and I want to do some of the Shenandoah park section of the AT trail... We currently have not gone out for more then 3-4 nights on a hike and I decided to take 9 days off of work and am starting to plan the trip.

I wanted any suggestions for our first stint on the AT trail (first time not doing a loop back to the car), like which way is better to go (North to South, or South to North), where is the best place to leave a car at one end and get a shuttle to the other, etc. Is it doable to go from Harpers Ferry to the center of Shenandoah park ( and leave the car there for easy access )?

We aren't really concerned if we do the whole thing, just looking for a nice 7-9 day hike on the trail and I have not done any part of VA yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Kelly

Cookerhiker
03-24-2012, 21:11
If you hike 9 days, you shouldn't have any problems hiking leisurely covering all of Shenandoah NP between Waynesboro and Compton Gap, the northernmost crossing of Skyline Drive. The distance is 106 miles.

Shuttles available here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-web-3-20-2012.pdf

johnnybgood
03-24-2012, 21:52
I found going south to north easier and 7-9 days is plenty time to traverse the park. Harpers Ferry to Big Meadows (milepost 50.8)will be more of a challenge with elevation change but still can be done in 9 days .

Damaged
03-26-2012, 09:04
You can park anywhere throughout the park in the many parking lots. One of the waysides are probably best, because they are a little busier so your vehicle will be seen more, but you can leave it at a trail head if you should decide to do so. I also agree that South to North is easier and most certainly can be done in nine days with an average of about 10 to 12 miles a day. If you are interested in starting in the park and ending at Harper's Ferry, the NPS allows you to leave vehicles in the main parking lot at Harpers Ferry for extended periods of time. You must go inside and fill out a form with your info and estimated time that you are leaving the vehicle there. I would suggest a starting point of either Big Meadows (milepost 50.8) or Skyland (milepost 41.7). You would also be averaging about 10 to 12 miles a day on this stretch as well if you do nine days but as mentioned above, it is a little more challenging with a number of ups and downs once you leave the ridgeline in the park. I can provide shuttle (free) at any points between Harpers Ferry and Big Meadows if on a weekend and early in the morning if I'm not already in the mountains. If interested, PM me.

KnotHere
03-26-2012, 13:44
I am pretty familiar with this area and have hiked it several times. Harpers Ferry South is pretty easy going for the first day or so until you pass Blackburn Shelter. Then you get into what is known as the "roller coaster". It is an area 20 miles or so of constant ups and downs that can be challenging (but very rewarding). As you pass through this area you will be able to put less miles under your laces each day. On average it took us 2-3 days from Harper's Ferry to Bears Den, then 4 days to get to the SNP. We did not keep a very fast pace and took time to enjoy the views, and set up camp at the shelters, which are many. It is a great hike and would put you at Compton's Gap (parking area) as you enter the SNP. From there you can keep going and enjoy some of the parks amenities such as shops and restaurants and take the shuttle back to your car. I highly recommend this hike.