PDA

View Full Version : Trail Angel Needed!!

BetsyVi
03-25-2012, 04:10
I need a trail angel desperately. My boyfriend, Anthony, is hiking the trail right now with his Rhodesian Ridgeback dog, Rosie. And I get the pleasure of being his support from the home front. Both Anthony and Rosie are really strong hikers; they usually hike about 20 miles a day. However, this past week they had a number of days in a row that were really long and hard, and they hike more like 25-30 miles a day. Rosie got worn out and a little beat up, and she really needs some rest, but Anthony can't afford to take a week off, or even a few days really. The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically, to the point that he is debating giving up his dream of finishing this hike to come home so that Rosie can rest and recover. I really don't want Anthony to have to end his hike at only 800 miles in, and I want Rosie to get the rest she needs. Does anyone know a trail angel, somewhere near mid Shenandoah, who would be willing to take Rosie for a few days, or a week maybe, for a little bit of money. We don't have much, and we certainly don't have the $300 that we already paid to have Rosie boarded for 4 days while he went throught the Smoky Mountains National Park. But we could pay around 50-100 dollars. I know this is a tall order, that is why I need a true angel, who also happens to be a dog lover, and who wants to see this man not have to give up on his dream. I would appreciate any responses, suggestions, people you know, or very affordable pet boarding in the area. Thanks so much.

Winds
03-25-2012, 04:20
This is lousy for a whole number of reasons.

He bore the responsibility for the animal and now hiking the animal to death, you want someone else to take care of it, really?
And because he wants to complete his dream and not take additional time off as well...

I really try not to be negative here, but FAIL.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2012, 04:34
wow. how selfish.poor dog

Terry7
03-25-2012, 08:02
:mad::mad::mad: ........

chip2012
03-25-2012, 08:05
Really. Anyone who has taken their dog out for a extended amount of time knows that it is nearly impossible for a dog to maintain that pace. Even more so for a dog that size. Even if someone does pick him up for a few days are you going to request another angel in another 500-800 miles?

moytoy
03-25-2012, 08:11
A week off of the trail in not going to help the dog if Anthony doesn't slow down to the dogs capabilities. The solution seems obvious, get the dog off the trail permanently.

FatMan
03-25-2012, 08:51
... The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically,...Forget poor Anthony. He is abusing the dog. If he has any feelings for the dog he should get the dog off the trail for the remainder of his hike or end his hike entirely.

I usually support hikers who want to hike with their dogs, but this guy's behavior sickens me.

ScottP
03-25-2012, 08:58
PMed............
By the way, I've done plenty of 35 mile days with my dog. He loves it.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2012, 09:51
I don't mean to sound too negative, but it your boyfriend is really serious about completing his thru hike, he will need to either slow down and let his dog set the pace, or send the dog home. If they're less than half was finished, then a few days off might help the dog out, but as long as he keeps the same pace the problem will just happen again in couple hundred miles.

burger
03-25-2012, 09:59
+1 on all above comments. A dog owner who really cares about his/her dog will not force the dog to keep hiking when the dog is clearly suffering. Get the dog off the trail permanently.

neighbor dave
03-25-2012, 10:10
turn the dog into fuel, yes that means stopping for a few days to turn it into jerky, then hammer down the rest of the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2012, 10:30
turn the dog into fuel, yes that means stopping for a few days to turn it into jerky, then hammer down the rest of the trail.

Now play nice:datzIt sounds like the opening poster is brand new whiteblaze and joined just to ask a specific question. You've got to give her some time to get used to the site before we get all snarky. :p

atmilkman
03-25-2012, 10:36
You've come to the right place if you're looking for advice or help about the trail. Really good and knowledeable people more than willing to help and who want to promote the use of the trail. But if your looking for help with the obvious selfish abuse of a dog you are definitely looking in the wrong place. As you can see the majority of people here not only don't approve of what your boyfriend is doing they despise it. If you want to make friends and want to fit in with the community do the right thing (which I'm sure you know in your heart) and tell your boyfriend to get the dog off the trail. If you do this and let everyone know you have you will be welcomed with open arms and a lasting friendship will have been made. I hope the best for all of you.

d.o.c
03-25-2012, 10:58
i'll help take your dog for good give it a propper life where it can live with out fear of owners like this... let me know when you walk into town if he makes it... I personaly dont feel like the trail is for dogs not a thru hike with human intentions

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 13:54
What's the weight? any pictures?

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 13:56
wow. how selfish.poor dogpretty cool website!

kayak karl
03-25-2012, 14:10
somebody should get the dog off the trail. if you do PM me.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 14:24
somebody should get the dog off the trail. if you do PM me.Kinda hoping this is a BS thread,but ya never know.I think if the OP were to say "hey we lift up big time" and need your help....the response would be a lot different.But "hey we need your help because we don't want to take responsibility for our actions".......that's just F----- sorry.Call the police...better yet SPCA.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 14:26
Kinda hoping this is a BS thread,but ya never know.I think if the OP were to say "hey we lift up big time" and need your help....the response would be a lot different.But "hey we need your help because we don't want to take responsibility for our actions".......that's just F----- sorry.Call the police...better yet SPCA.that should have read EFT up,not lift up......And your a good man Karl.

nufsaid
03-25-2012, 14:33
Betsy, some may wonder why anyone would want to stay with a person who doesn't respect an innocent loving animal.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 14:51
Seems to me that many here have thru-hiked with a dog.So the thing to do would be,stop your hike,take care of your dog,when you sleep tonight conjure a new dream,one where you stop or slow your hike,it's really that simple.but get the dog checked out,at best she is dehydrated depressed,pissed off,do the right thing here.......

Lea13
03-25-2012, 15:17
While I don't know either Anthony or Rosie's individual capabilities, it sounds like the pace is obviously too much for Rosie, and for whatever other reasons, Anthony has a schedule to keep that demands over 20miles/day. Even if Rosie stays with someone for a little while, the same thing will likely happen again if she gets back on the trail w him, since he's not going to change his pace. It seems to me, your best bet would be to have her shipped home to you, where you can take care of Rosie properly and see her regular vet (if need be), instead of some unknown stranger who may not know what to do for her medically.

Also, if Anthony has to maintain this 20+ mile/day pace for the rest of his trip, I have major doubts about whether he can finish anyways (again, I don't know him personally, but that's a seriously grueling pace even for a really fit/experienced person). If he isn't going to finish in one go at it, why not slow down and enjoy the hike, avoid injuring himself (huge risk for overuse injuries or accidents related to fatigue in this scenario).

Everybody makes mistakes and errors in judgments, it's how we take responsibility and deal with them that makes us who we are.

Jim Adams
03-25-2012, 15:50
...free the dog and leash and / or cage the owner.

geek

Winds
03-25-2012, 15:57
Betsy, some may wonder why anyone would want to stay with a person who doesn't respect an innocent loving animal.

Nuf, I think you may have missed the core of Betty's post here; Neither of them give a damn about the dog he dragged to the trail for his goal (and her goal too!). So now the dog is potentially in serious trouble (?) and now THEY want someone else to alleviate them of their burden.

[added]
Or for at least for a good bargain.

Tinker
03-25-2012, 16:59
Two-legged ticks? Dogs don't need them any more than our society does. Do the right thing and send the dog home. Let the owner beat his own body to death if he so wishes. Don't go looking for others to fix your mistakes. Take ownership of them and make it right. :cool:

BetsyVi
03-25-2012, 18:01
Ok look, this is not a joke, and it is not abuse. Rosie is used to hiking with Anthony, and they always hike a long way. Anthony knows Rosie very well, and he would not put her in harms way. They are resting right now. And they have hiked a long way at that pace, and she has been fine up until now. However, there is no way for Rosie to come off the trail completely without Anthony having to give up his hike also. Now if that is what needs to be done, he will do it. He is not abusive to his dog, he takes very good care of her. But I was just trying to see if I could get her a week off to rest, and then if she recovers, they could continue. If not, they will have to stop hiking. I'm kind of offended that everyone just assumes he is abusing his dog. Personally knowing Anthony and Rosie, and having been on long, strenuous, 20 mile a day hikes with them, I don't see any where in my posting that suggests he is being abusive. And maybe you misunderstood me, but I meant he can't really afford to spend a week in a hotel somewhere, not that he can't afford to take the time for his dog. Now, that being said, I don't mind taking any sort of constructive opinions, even if your opinion is that Rosie should stop hiking, but please don't assume that she is being abused because she is not.

BetsyVi
03-25-2012, 18:04
And yes, while he is in town he is taking the dog to the vet. So please don't worry about Rosie, she is going to be fine.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2012, 18:08
People get all defensive when we tell them not to take a dog on a thru-hike. The situation this couple find themself's in is the usual out come when they don't listen.

I can see only two solutions to the delema. 1. Hiker + dog goes home. 2. Dog get abandoned (hopefully at a reascue shelter) and hiker goes on. Solution #3, sending the dog home, would be both expensive and logistically difficult, so that doesn't seem to be an option here.

CrumbSnatcher
03-25-2012, 18:30
I need a trail angel desperately. My boyfriend, Anthony, is hiking the trail right now with his Rhodesian Ridgeback dog, Rosie. And I get the pleasure of being his support from the home front. Both Anthony and Rosie are really strong hikers; they usually hike about 20 miles a day. However, this past week they had a number of days in a row that were really long and hard, and they hike more like 25-30 miles a day. Rosie got worn out and a little beat up, and she really needs some rest, but Anthony can't afford to take a week off, or even a few days really. The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically, to the point that he is debating giving up his dream of finishing this hike to come home so that Rosie can rest and recover. I really don't want Anthony to have to end his hike at only 800 miles in, and I want Rosie to get the rest she needs. Does anyone know a trail angel, somewhere near mid Shenandoah, who would be willing to take Rosie for a few days, or a week maybe, for a little bit of money. We don't have much, and we certainly don't have the $300 that we already paid to have Rosie boarded for 4 days while he went throught the Smoky Mountains National Park. But we could pay around 50-100 dollars. I know this is a tall order, that is why I need a true angel, who also happens to be a dog lover, and who wants to see this man not have to give up on his dream. I would appreciate any responses, suggestions, people you know, or very affordable pet boarding in the area. Thanks so much.

is rosie wearing a pack on these 20-30 mile days? i wish i lived close to the trail to take rosie off his hands but i would be trying to adopt not baby sitting.but i would of watched her. no dog is going to be able to handle that pace, not to sound like a dick, but in your post you seem to be more concerned about your boyfriends dream than the dog. i hope you find the trail angel ROSIE desperatly needs! my dog too had alot of long distance experience,but in 2002 we got off trail for 5-6 weeks went home for awhile because i thought she was dragging a little-then we headed back out and it was a much better time for the both of us.

Tinker
03-25-2012, 18:34
Ok look, this is not a joke, and it is not abuse. Rosie is used to hiking with Anthony, and they always hike a long way. Anthony knows Rosie very well, and he would not put her in harms way. They are resting right now. And they have hiked a long way at that pace, and she has been fine up until now. However, there is no way for Rosie to come off the trail completely without Anthony having to give up his hike also. Now if that is what needs to be done, he will do it. He is not abusive to his dog, he takes very good care of her. But I was just trying to see if I could get her a week off to rest, and then if she recovers, they could continue. If not, they will have to stop hiking. I'm kind of offended that everyone just assumes he is abusing his dog. Personally knowing Anthony and Rosie, and having been on long, strenuous, 20 mile a day hikes with them, I don't see any where in my posting that suggests he is being abusive. And maybe you misunderstood me, but I meant he can't really afford to spend a week in a hotel somewhere, not that he can't afford to take the time for his dog. Now, that being said, I don't mind taking any sort of constructive opinions, even if your opinion is that Rosie should stop hiking, but please don't assume that she is being abused because she is not.

I don't think most people, including me, think that the dog is being intentionally abused. The outcome, for the dog, is the same nonetheless. Just because the dog had done a few 20 mile days in the past doesn't mean she could handle multiple back-to-back 20s (I couldn't, even in my best shape). I'm sorry for your situation and I hope that things work out for all three of you, but especially the dog. She wasn't in on the planning.

CrumbSnatcher
03-25-2012, 18:38
PMed............
By the way, I've done plenty of 35 mile days with my dog. He loves it.
day after day after day? pack on or off?
must be one bad ass dog!

BetsyVi
03-25-2012, 19:10
no dog is going to be able to handle that pace, not to sound like a dick, but in your post you seem to be more concerned about your boyfriends dream than the dog. i hope you find the trail angel ROSIE desperatly needs! my dog too had alot of long distance experience,but in 2002 we got off trail for 5-6 weeks went home for awhile because i thought she was dragging a little-then we headed back out and it was a much better time for the both of us.

Yea I really didn't mean to sound like I was more concerned about my boyfriend than the dog. I think the phrase "need a trail angel desperately" gave people the wrong idea. Rosie's situation is surely not dire. She loves to hike and is used to doing long distance trips at 20 miles a day. They have been hiking for over a month now and this is the first time she has has a problem. And the reason they went extra hard for those couple days was to get ahead of another hiker that had an unneutered male dog that was harrassing Rosie at the shelters. I have had dogs all my life, and hiked with everyone of them, and Anthony and I are both dog lovers, so we are not new to this, and we are certainly not abusive to our dog. We really do have her best interests at heart, which is why at the first sign she was having any trouble, we decided that it would be good to give her a break. And we thought that instead of just slowing the pace, which he did until he could get her into town, that it might be nice to give her a week off while he goes ahead, if we could. We just don't have a lot of money, he has been doing this hike as cheaply as he can, and we know from experience just how expensive it can be to board your dog. I had been reading about trail angels, and thought there might be an ex-hiker, dog lover out there who could help us out. The only reason I said we need one desperately is because I was hoping someone might be able to meet with Anthony while he is in town today. We have known from the beginning that Rosie might not be able to complete the whole AT, but when she needs to come off the trail for good, Anthony will come off with her. She isnt in terrible condition right now, and I think that she would be okay to continue for now if she got a few days off. So thats why we didn't want to jump the gun and end both of their hikes at her first sign of trouble. But yeah, if she isn't okay after a few days, then they will stop and come home.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2012, 19:30
yo betsy! YOU take the dog and let sweetie fulfill his "dream" GD no-brainer

Slo-go'en
03-25-2012, 19:32
The problem is Rosie and your BF are getting thier first taste of what the trail will be like for the rest of the way. Hot, humid, rocky, along with fewer and harder to get to water sources. What has aready beaten up Rosie will just start to get worse and worse.

There is no sense putting it off, especially if funds are tight to begin with, time for Rosie and your BF do the right thing and go home.

rjjones
03-25-2012, 19:42
Maybe your freind can do a handfull of 3-5 mile days{spread the 3-5 out throught the day} to give Rosie a chance to recoupe.Then back his daily miles below 20 or at least not consecutive 20's.Take a few more nero days??He's got a hiking partner he has to think about!It cant be all about him.

nufsaid
03-25-2012, 19:46

Betsy, please do the right thing. And it need not deprive you boyfriend of completing a thru hike.

Danl
03-25-2012, 19:51
Check your email.

BetsyVi
03-25-2012, 20:42
The reason I can't just go get Rosie and bring her home is that I live in California. And the place where I live doesn't allow dogs, so he can't even just send her home to me. Thats the reason that if Rosie's hike is over, so is his. But like I said, if he needs to give up because of her, he will.

CrumbSnatcher
03-25-2012, 20:46
BetsyVi, i see you are from california? so did anthony and rosie fly out to georgia? as someone said the trail will only get rockier and the temp. is going to get hotter. i see you have a few people that have PM'd you, i hope they are trying to help you out. sorry some dickhead with another dog is bothering you. i know when it got real hot out me and my dog night hiked alot, well over a 1,000 miles over the years! be a long road trip for me to come get rosie :-) i hope you get some help! on my last thruhike my dog was 10, so i was able to keep her on the journey by having wonderful friends and a dog that started to enjoy zero days :-) gotta HYDH
we would hike usually 12 mile days or so together then on her days off i would go big, so as to avoid pushing her. how long of a hike did they have planned(when was he hoping to be finished by?) you say he can't afford time off, but as mentioned above, he probably needs to cut his mileage in half for awhile. better to come up a little short of katahdin and both enjoy the hike more

Bucketfoot
03-25-2012, 21:19
I'm with R. J. Anthony should back off on the miles, even take a few days off. You don't need a hotel. camp somewhere! Stop and smell the roses along the way. Enjoy the hike for as long as time permits you too go. HYOH and make sure you and your hiking partner enjoy it.

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2012, 22:19
it sounds like its 188 miles from Philadelphia at the moment. I can provide a 7 day break pick up the dog and deliver the dog back after the PA rocks somewhere like Port Clinton. Would there be an issue with being with two other dogs? Where do I pick up?

CrumbSnatcher
03-25-2012, 22:32
WOO your a good man! i don't care what others say :-)

ScottP
03-25-2012, 22:40
day after day after day? pack on or off?
must be one bad ass dog!

lots of back to back mid/high 20s with pack. We had to take one zero day when too much walking on black roads messed up his pads. He's a husky/malamute hybrid. Unlimited endurance in cold weather. Some lab tested these dogs and their VO2 max was 4x that of the best human runners, but they can't deal with heat. Dogs that are bred to be pets or retrievers or badger hunters might not be able to hike, but dogs that are bred to run sure can.

the mid 30s were all day hikes, I didn't do any solo overnights this last winter. He sprints up and down mountains the whole time. In cool weather I don't forsee back to back 35s being a problem for him. we'll probably try starting this fall.

miloandotis
03-25-2012, 23:26
I need a trail angel desperately.... Rosie got worn out and a little beat up... The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically..

I don't know about everyone else, but this is where I started to think abuse. "Worn out and beat up" "urging her along" had to "practically carry her" and HE was exausted?? This surely sound dire to me. I hope your first post was maybe a little exaggerated so you could get her off the trail before she was pushed as far as you first described. Yeah, it did sound selfish. You described his time table/goal in the first post, then in the later post say it was because of another dog. It sounds like you are making excuses for him. And that will definately put people on the attack, especially if a furry four legged friend is on the loosing end. (just my .02+cents)

RITBlake
03-26-2012, 00:33
Tell him to be a big boy and send the dog home for good. Why anyone would want the burden of thru hiking attached to a dog (literally at times) is beyond me.

jesse
03-26-2012, 01:42
... We just don't have a lot of money...

He doesn't have to spend a week off in town/hotel. He could camp in the woods, till the dog is rested. Afterwards, he's gotta slow the pace.

Jim Adams
03-26-2012, 07:24
When the dog runs up and down the mountains and does long days, that's fine but when the dog is too tired to keep it up and you push the issue and complain about it then that is abuse. Listen to CrumbSnatcher. He is the wisest dog with a hiker that I know and yes I did phrase that correctly...dog with a hiker. If you are not willing to hike the dogs pace then the dog has no say in the issue and that is just wrong. Send the dog home...this issue should have never been. If your schedule required you to do those long mile days then the dog should have stayed home in the first place.

There is alot of hiking miles on this forum that has given you good advice and you just keep making excuses.

geek

ScottP
03-26-2012, 08:04
There is alot of hiking miles on this forum and a lot of people who know a fraction of the situation are being dicks.

geek

fixed your quote

rocketsocks
03-26-2012, 08:52
fixed your quoteHold-up Dog,let me get some popcorn.

atmilkman
03-26-2012, 09:02
Hold-up Dog,let me get some popcorn.
Turn off the fan.

rocketsocks
03-26-2012, 09:19
Turn off the fan.10-4...let it die.

atmilkman
03-26-2012, 09:26
10-4...let it die.
I should have said don't forget to turn off the fan cause there's a possibility the ***** might hit it.

DavidNH
03-26-2012, 09:36
next road crossing.. dish the dog off to Minnisoata Smith. He'll know what to do with the dog :-)

BabySue
03-26-2012, 11:33
If it weren't for Wise Old Owl, this tread would be a waste of pixels. Betsy might as well have originally posted, "Please think of twenty ways to insult me. Accuracy not necessary." A posting rule of thumb should be, "Would I say what I'm about to type if I were talking to this person face-to-face?" And then if the answer is "yes," ask yourself, "Would I say it more nicely?"

Spirit Walker
03-26-2012, 12:30
it sounds like its 188 miles from Philadelphia at the moment. I can provide a 7 day break pick up the dog and deliver the dog back after the PA rocks somewhere like Port Clinton.

Port Clinton is about where the rocks START to get bad. They only get worse from there. If WOL takes the dog for a week, will your friend change his hiking style to take into account his dog's needs and limitations? A few dogs thrive on long distance hiking. Most do not. Twenty plus miles a day every day is too much for most dogs. They do it only because they have no choice.

CrumbSnatcher
03-26-2012, 12:52
shortly after 501 shelter PA. to High Point NJ =bad rocks,snakes &heat :-(

CrumbSnatcher
03-26-2012, 13:04
---------------------------

BetsyVi
03-26-2012, 13:38
I really have no reason to make excuses to you all. My clarifications and updates are meant for those who were truly and honestly concerned for the dog's well being, and not for those who are more interested in verbally burning me at the stake. So, for those people, here is one final update. The dog has seen a vet, she is not sick or injured, but her paws are are sore and she needs rest. We have found a place for her to rest for the next week, possibly two. After that we will see how she is doing. I really do appreciate those of you who tried to help and gave me good advice. For the rest of you, I am sorry that I gave you the wrong impression with my phrasing. You taught me a valuable lesson: on this site, you have to choose your words very carefully. But I don't think I will be returning to this site anyway. That will probably make most of you happy, so congratulations.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2012, 14:06
And so it goes. Looks like the poor dog is going to have to suffer some more. Pitty.

4dogHiker
03-26-2012, 15:01
The reason I can't just go get Rosie and bring her home is that I live in California. And the place where I live doesn't allow dogs, so he can't even just send her home to me. Thats the reason that if Rosie's hike is over, so is his. But like I said, if he needs to give up because of her, he will.

Betsy, I just read this post. Please ignore my PM. Your boyfriend needs to "hike his own hike" without Rosie. You need to make arrangements for her to get to someone who can care for her while he finishes his hike, or he can try again some other time without her.

Pedaling Fool
03-26-2012, 16:42
I wonder if Rosie is sick -- aren't dogs susceptible to Lyme disease?

MissMagnolia
03-26-2012, 19:08
I wonder if Rosie is sick -- aren't dogs susceptible to Lyme disease?

Yes, they are, and they can also have false negative tests. I know a dog who had multiple false negatives over more than a year before he was finally diagnosed with Lyme. In the meantime, he was aggressive and bit several people. Since then, with some anti-biotic treatment and prozac he doesn't bite people anymore, but he has permanent neurological damage that may have contributed to him chewing off his own tail. He's doing okay right now but needs hydro therapy in an underwater treadmill in order to keep his hind legs working correctly.

Yes, a horror story, but true. I hope Rosie doesn't have Lyme, but quick diagnosis and treatment would prevent most if not all of those problems.

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2012, 19:20
Turn off the fan.

The fan keeps the laptop dry each time I spew!

Why is it so hard for some of you to set your differences aside and just be a help? When you read the whole set of posts - one can see a different picture.... some of you are so indifferent and rude - I am rethinking a few things here.

ocourse
03-26-2012, 20:15
I am ashamed of many of my fellow WB members. Most of these posts are pathetic, and don't offer any help. I can't offer help because of distance and my own schedule. But I can offer encouragement and a more positive post. It seems that some people don't have much to do except blast others.

Danl
03-26-2012, 20:44
I offered to go and get rosie and house her until BF was finished with his hike. I live in nashville but would've gone to get her. I also have a cousin driving truck in around there that would have picked her up, but I guess other arrangements were found.

JAK
03-26-2012, 20:49
Primary goal should be to hike with dog, camp with dog, spend time with dog.
Katahdin should be secondary.

JAK
03-26-2012, 20:50
Personally I loved the 'Modest Proposal' reference. Appropriate satire.

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2012, 20:52
appears to be "too late" now.

atmilkman
03-26-2012, 21:01
The fan keeps the laptop dry each time I spew!

Why is it so hard for some of you to set your differences aside and just be a help? When you read the whole set of posts - one can see a different picture.... some of you are so indifferent and rude - I am rethinking a few things here.
No doubt. I thought the same thing when the man edited the other mans post.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2012, 21:42
I am ashamed of many of my fellow WB members. Most of these posts are pathetic, and don't offer any help. I can't offer help because of distance and my own schedule. But I can offer encouragement and a more positive post. It seems that some people don't have much to do except blast others.

you ever thru-hiked with a dog?

Jack Tarlin
03-26-2012, 23:00
I stayed outta this one, mainly because in some circles I'm seen as "anti-dog." While some of the posts here were perhaps sharper and blunter than they needed to be, it's pretty clear that the dog owner in question was expeceting (even demanding) too much from the animal. This is not responsible dog ownership. He either needs to slow down to a pace that the dog can reasonably hike; he needs to get the dog off the Trail; or he perhaps needs to think about hiking the Trail at another time. But when someone acknowledges that they know they're forcing their pet to do too much, or when one acknowledges that they're frustrated by their pet's performance......well sorry, these are pretty large red flags. And this is precisely what was said in the original post. This dog needs to slow down its pace before it is crippled by its owner, or more likely, it needs to be somewhere else.

Winds
03-27-2012, 03:25
I stayed outta this one ... This dog needs to slow down its pace before it is crippled by its owner, or more likely, it needs to be somewhere else.

Yeah, and that's what most thought and spoke towards. The lingering trouble above though is in a week or so, they plan on the dog returning to the trail, already damaged, to do what exactly - meet the same pace? The simple truth here is that the dog doesn't appear to be in good hands a midst the "dream" of the owner.

And the REAL dilemma here is that the problem is beyond the dog's control, AND NOW seemingly beyond the owner's control requesting / needing assistance from others. Giving assistance is rather dandy (nice of someone!), yet I can't help but wonder what's in the dog's future?

Btw, you don't have to be a animal lover to understand that the owner has a greater responsibility to ensure the reasonable good health of the dog - especially now since his dream has injured this animal.

Hikemor
03-27-2012, 08:38
The plan for the "dream" thru hike is west coast hiker + dog + low budget + fast hike + Feb. start. How many failure modes can you cram into one thru hike? Carrying a 50 lb. pack too? :eek: The right solution is for hiker and dog to head home and return to the trail with a better plan and with a greater chance for success. It sounds like the current solution is to drop the dog off for someone else to take care of for a while and then "see what happens".

Still believe trolls could be at work.

Jim Adams
03-27-2012, 15:30
I have had nothing but the dogs best interest throughout this thread...too bad the owner, OP and the other dog whiners on here don't feel the same. IF YOU TREATED THE DOG LIKE THIS IN THE REAL WORLD, IT WOULD BE TAKEN FROM YOU! Since I have no provisions to place or care for the dog my help was advice...GET IT OFF THE TRAIL AND HOME...if that ends his hike then oh well...the dog should have never been out there under those circumstances.

geek

Pony
03-27-2012, 20:49

Precious. If you are not in fact my father, you are cast from the same mold. The man has never told me what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to hear. Great stuff.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2012, 21:04
I too am ashamed by some here that posted - some of you flat out got it and others did not... while I feel that some of you pm'ed offers of help others choose to be the 1% of WB. I am frustrated and disgusted. I can appreciate your thoughts that it was too much for the dog. But your posts were directed at the choir... I too am not without fault. But some here suck on canal water. Don't rush to judge so quickly and then condemn before understanding. Innocent before guilt? Nobody ever has ever posted the whole story in the first post....

I now understand why some come and go so quickly to WB... no Samaritans here.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2012, 21:15
I too am ashamed by some here that posted - some of you flat out got it and others did not... while I feel that some of you pm'ed offers of help others choose to be the 1% of WB. I am frustrated and disgusted. I can appreciate your thoughts that it was too much for the dog. But your posts were directed at the choir... I too am not without fault. But some here suck on canal water. Don't rush to judge so quickly and then condemn before understanding. Innocent before guilt? Nobody ever has ever posted the whole story in the first post....

I now understand why some come and go so quickly to WB... no Samaritans here. you're so wrong on so many levels. come to damascus in 2 weeks and stay for a month and see how these hiker dogs are treated

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 21:20

I now understand why some come and go so quickly to WB... no Samaritans here. Nobody has ever posted the whole story in the first post......That there is a good observation.I too share Responsibility in that bowl of confusion.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2012, 21:28
Thats OK LW you have a pass too on so many levels - we at least can agree to disagree - I see the dogs at this end and they are well cared for at the Doyle.

Not a hater here.

In fact I did not reference any of your posts you and I do agree quite a bit but... I did add 9 more to my list.

And if I am wrong about people - I am not a quick judge except

Its more about opening ones mouth or keyboard and removing all the doubt.... I was brought up to understand what is fair.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2012, 21:33
Hey folks - I am very ill - with a lung infection so I am off for a few days... I will check pm's so lets move on - end the damn drama.

Jack Tarlin
03-27-2012, 21:59
Actually, the whoe story WAS told quite plainly in the first post: The animal was being pushed too hard and the owner was upset and frustrated with his pet's hindering his hike. This was freely aknowledged by the original poster: If people here on WB were angry at the dog's owner, or were concerned about the animal's well-being, well it is easy to see where and how this concern orignated. And that is in the very post that started this discussion. To say "nobody has ever posted the whole story" in one post.....well,I have to disagree. I think the whole story was quite well told in the original post, and THAT is what prompted some of the stronger responses here.

Sarcasm the elf
03-27-2012, 22:05

I now understand why some come and go so quickly to WB... no Samaritans here.

WOO, I have to second that, I was disgusted with the venom spewed out by a few of the people responding.

Based on the OP's description of the situation, it did sound like this dog should be on its way home, but the nonsense and personal attacks did nothing but make the people writing the response feel self righteous while alienating someone who came here looking for actual advice.

Just my two cents, but it sounds like there was a teachable moment that was lost somewhere towards the beginning of this festering excuse for a thread. We had the opportunity to explain why the situation was only going to get worse for the dog, and why it would be in the hikers' best interest to take action sooner than later. Instead the personal insults and accusations of animal abuse that were posted most likely caused the OP to just retreat back to her original plan (since it sounded like she had halfway decided on it anyway), and caused her to leave thinking that we're just a bunch of Internet trolls.

I know that I've left some bonehead responses from time to time, but what bothers me is that recently I've noticed a lot of the vitriol has been directed at brand new members. When people first sign up, they don't realize what subjects have been debated to death already, or what issues are contentious on the site. Since the member's join dates and post count are next to each comment, maybe it would be a good idea to look at these before ripping into someone.

Just last week I got a PM from someone else who had been a member for two days before he was torn apart after starting a thread that asked an honest but unpopular question, he wanted to know what the heck was wrong with the members here. This thead was no different, just the latest in a series of newbies that won't be back because some people thought it would be better to show how outraged they were about the question rather than say something useful.

I'll stop ranting now...

CrumbSnatcher
03-28-2012, 10:04
Hey folks - I am very ill - with a lung infection so I am off for a few days... I will check pm's so lets move on - end the damn drama.
hope you feel better soon------------------- wise old owl

MissMagnolia
03-28-2012, 12:59
WOO, I have to second that, I was disgusted with the venom spewed out by a few of the people responding.

Based on the OP's description of the situation, it did sound like this dog should be on its way home, but the nonsense and personal attacks did nothing but make the people writing the response feel self righteous while alienating someone who came here looking for actual advice.

Just my two cents, but it sounds like there was a teachable moment that was lost somewhere towards the beginning of this festering excuse for a thread. We had the opportunity to explain why the situation was only going to get worse for the dog, and why it would be in the hikers' best interest to take action sooner than later. Instead the personal insults and accusations of animal abuse that were posted most likely caused the OP to just retreat back to her original plan (since it sounded like she had halfway decided on it anyway), and caused her to leave thinking that we're just a bunch of Internet trolls.

I know that I've left some bonehead responses from time to time, but what bothers me is that recently I've noticed a lot of the vitriol has been directed at brand new members. When people first sign up, they don't realize what subjects have been debated to death already, or what issues are contentious on the site. Since the member's join dates and post count are next to each comment, maybe it would be a good idea to look at these before ripping into someone.

Just last week I got a PM from someone else who had been a member for two days before he was torn apart after starting a thread that asked an honest but unpopular question, he wanted to know what the heck was wrong with the members here. This thead was no different, just the latest in a series of newbies that won't be back because some people thought it would be better to show how outraged they were about the question rather than say something useful.

I'll stop ranting now...

I had a similar experience with a couple of my first posts and I developed a very negative perception of the majority of WB based on that. However, I managed to stick around, partially because I don't mind a good argument and I did also get some good advice. I still have a negative view of the general WB attitude towards new people but several people spoke up in support of me and I truly appreciated that. I am not an internet newbie, either, and I find the venom on this site worse than in many places online. However, I just try to wade through the nastiness and collect the useful information, of which I have gathered an amazing amount, so I'd like to say thank you to WB for that. I understand (now) that if I post something I should be prepared to be ripped to pieces and so I don't participate as much as I would have otherwise.

In the meantime, three weeks until I start my thru! And I'm NOT bringing my dog. :rolleyes:

JAK
03-28-2012, 13:31
I think people should assume it was a troll, and discuss such matters more generally and less personally.

rocketsocks
03-28-2012, 15:00
Actually, the whoe story WAS told quite plainly in the first post: The animal was being pushed too hard and the owner was upset and frustrated with his pet's hindering his hike. This was freely aknowledged by the original poster: If people here on WB were angry at the dog's owner, or were concerned about the animal's well-being, well it is easy to see where and how this concern orignated. And that is in the very post that started this discussion. To say "nobody has ever posted the whole story" in one post.....well,I have to disagree. I think the whole story was quite well told in the original post, and THAT is what prompted some of the stronger responses here.Ok,good point,I think if you change "First Post" to "In One Post" That also has great meaning.In her first post it also uses wording that can have very different meanings,Like she said Anthony and the dog are so exausted,well here in america we say things like "I am starving" when in fact were just very hungry.Using a computer to comunicate is very different than talking with someone "face to face" or "on the scene" the confusion comes in whe we can't know the whole situation this is just a by-product of the technology.I certainly didn't convey my post well and only saw it that when i reread it.Saying,call the police or SPCA was my advise "to" her (if the situation was that dire),and not "On"her.

Winds
03-28-2012, 15:26
I had a similar experience with a couple of my first posts and I developed a very negative perception of the majority of WB based on that. .... I understand (now) that if I post something I should be prepared to be ripped to pieces and so I don't participate as much as I would have otherwise.

In the meantime, three weeks until I start my thru! And I'm NOT bringing my dog. :rolleyes:

This place is not so hard to figure out. I've weeded through thousands of posts spanning the last 10 years. If you pay attention, there's a VERY small minority here that actually know what they are talking about AND are pretty upset folks (or mad at the world for being born?). Once you spot the jerks, they are easy to ignore.

Then there are some like me, who have a tendency to find/offer humor maybe too much.

And you can spot the handful who know everything on every single aspect of being outdoors, ultra-light backpacking, giving birth, and the economic conditions of China. Those are the people that can fill this forum or a given topic up in a hurry. Weeding through them can take more effort.

'Three weeks' MissMagnolia - wow, congrats - I am jealous!

And you are NOT taking the dog??? What kind of animal person are you?!? This is just horrible - What gives you the right NOT to allow your dog the chance to complete it's trail dreams? You are not a good owner and your dog should be taken away from you and you should be punished!! :)

Hope your journey is successful! Start slow, I have heard of now 3 people JUST over 100 miles - out for the year with knee injuries. :(

Have fun!

Hikemor
03-29-2012, 08:44
Even at its testiest, WB is much more civil than other forums I visit.

One thing that rankles me is when noobs post pretending to want advice but really seek bias confirmation.
"Can I thru hike in 90 days?"
"Yes but here are other options, etc., etc."
"Thanks. I'm young and strong so I'm going to go for it ..."
Never heard from again. :confused:

C'est la vie.

Jim Adams
03-29-2012, 08:56
WOO, Hope you feel better soon!

geek

nufsaid
03-29-2012, 09:43
....... post pretending to want advice but really seek bias confirmation.

It certainly happens at times, although I don't think they are consciously pretending.

TyTy
03-29-2012, 11:15
Betsy not sure if you know this or not but dogs will push themselves very hard to please their owners and sort of 'keep on keepin on' even when severely hurt. I have heard first hand accounts of terriers, pit bulls and other mixed breed dogs hog hunting that will have their bellies opened up by a hog, guts hanging out and they will ignore it and keep fighting the hog and running along with the pack. I have seen retrievers in duck blinds with ice frozen on their faces and private parts but if you try to get them to stop hunting they will fight you. My dog squirrel hunts and he had a squirrel bite his nose and blood was gushing out to the point where I thought he was going to need stitches and he wouldn't even be bothered to let me look at it, he kept blowing the blood out and pulling away from me trying to run ahead to go find the next squirrel. I have heard stories of bird dogs passing out from heat exhaustion and ignoring being snake bit completely.

All of this is to say, most dogs, when hurt (and especially when they are doing something they love with their beloved owner) won't just roll over and refuse to go further. If they have a slight injury they probably won't even show it. They naturally will ignore and keep on out of love for their owner/what they are doing. If the dog is having to be pushed, coerced, forced along to the point that your boyfriend is practically having to carry him, this is a sign that he is beyond just a little fatigued or tired. It is a sign that what he is doing is hurting him pretty badly. Just because they have done a lot of it before does not mean that it is fine. The dog might have only been mildly fatigued and hurting on previous hikes but it was able to ignore it and move along like nothing was wrong. Now with back to back 20 mile days the compounding fatigue is just allowing it to show up and become generally visible.

nufsaid
03-29-2012, 11:39
Betsy not sure if you know this or not but dogs will push themselves very hard to please their owners and sort of 'keep on keepin on' even when severely hurt. I have heard first hand accounts of terriers, pit bulls and other mixed breed dogs hog hunting that will have their bellies opened up by a hog, guts hanging out and they will ignore it and keep fighting the hog and running along with the pack. I have seen retrievers in duck blinds with ice frozen on their faces and private parts but if you try to get them to stop hunting they will fight you. My dog squirrel hunts and he had a squirrel bite his nose and blood was gushing out to the point where I thought he was going to need stitches and he wouldn't even be bothered to let me look at it, he kept blowing the blood out and pulling away from me trying to run ahead to go find the next squirrel. I have heard stories of bird dogs passing out from heat exhaustion and ignoring being snake bit completely.

All of this is to say, most dogs, when hurt (and especially when they are doing something they love with their beloved owner) won't just roll over and refuse to go further. If they have a slight injury they probably won't even show it. They naturally will ignore and keep on out of love for their owner/what they are doing. If the dog is having to be pushed, coerced, forced along to the point that your boyfriend is practically having to carry him, this is a sign that he is beyond just a little fatigued or tired. It is a sign that what he is doing is hurting him pretty badly. Just because they have done a lot of it before does not mean that it is fine. The dog might have only been mildly fatigued and hurting on previous hikes but it was able to ignore it and move along like nothing was wrong. Now with back to back 20 mile days the compounding fatigue is just allowing it to show up and become generally visible.

You are a bad boy. Don't you know that giving advice that doesn't go along with the OP's feelings is bordering on abuse?

nufsaid
03-29-2012, 11:44
Actually, the whoe story WAS told quite plainly in the first post: The animal was being pushed too hard and the owner was upset and frustrated with his pet's hindering his hike. This was freely aknowledged by the original poster: If people here on WB were angry at the dog's owner, or were concerned about the animal's well-being, well it is easy to see where and how this concern orignated. And that is in the very post that started this discussion. To say "nobody has ever posted the whole story" in one post.....well,I have to disagree. I think the whole story was quite well told in the original post, and THAT is what prompted some of the stronger responses here.

I happen to agree with you.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2012, 12:18
Actually, the whoe story WAS told quite plainly in the first post:

Indeed and that was the reason for the harsh responces. The OP was looking for someone to do them a HUGH favor and implied that it had to be done at no or low cost to them. If she hadn't gone into quite as much detail about how it came about that the dog "Rosie" had to take some time off, the comments might not have been so critical. But from what she did tell us, it was obvious the only good solution was for her BF and the dog to go straight home and we were pretty blunt in saying that.

There are several leasons to this story: 1, you can push a dog too hard. 2, when your dog runs into trouble (and the chances are good that it will), you need to have the resources to deal with it - with both time and money.

MissMagnolia
03-29-2012, 17:02
This place is not so hard to figure out. I've weeded through thousands of posts spanning the last 10 years. If you pay attention, there's a VERY small minority here that actually know what they are talking about AND are pretty upset folks (or mad at the world for being born?). Once you spot the jerks, they are easy to ignore.

Then there are some like me, who have a tendency to find/offer humor maybe too much.

And you can spot the handful who know everything on every single aspect of being outdoors, ultra-light backpacking, giving birth, and the economic conditions of China. Those are the people that can fill this forum or a given topic up in a hurry. Weeding through them can take more effort.

'Three weeks' MissMagnolia - wow, congrats - I am jealous!

And you are NOT taking the dog??? What kind of animal person are you?!? This is just horrible - What gives you the right NOT to allow your dog the chance to complete it's trail dreams? You are not a good owner and your dog should be taken away from you and you should be punished!! :)

Hope your journey is successful! Start slow, I have heard of now 3 people JUST over 100 miles - out for the year with knee injuries. :(

Have fun!

I'm super excited and thanks for your comment. I know. I am a terrible dog owner for leaving my best friend behind with friends. I should be punished for not wanting the responsibility of dealing with all the additional issues that can come up when hiking with a dog. Irresponsible me for wanting to get away from as many responsibilities as possible on my thru and not complicate something even more that's already hard enough while increasing my own chances of having to drop out for the dog's sake. :)

I've also been following several people on Facebook who already dropped out with injuries. I plan to go slow and do only about eight miles a day to start out while also using my heart rate monitor to manage my speed and hopefully increase my endurance.

CrumbSnatcher
03-29-2012, 17:23
Even at its testiest, WB is much more civil than other forums I visit.

One thing that rankles me is when noobs post pretending to want advice but really seek bias confirmation.
"Can I thru hike in 90 days?"
"Yes but here are other options, etc., etc."
"Thanks. I'm young and strong so I'm going to go for it ..."
Never heard from again. :confused:

C'est la vie.funny how everyone plays the youth card with big mile days, most of the hikers i knew over the years that could and have gone big miles were not the young ones! it was people that have worked hard and played hard,not the ones coming off of mom and dads couch

Danl
03-29-2012, 21:55
You all ought let this one die a quick death. Rosie is resting with a trail angel after her owner took her to the Vet. Her paws were sore, but other than that just fine. If after a week of rest and Rosie returns to the trail she still isn't fairing well her owner would have stopped his hike for he loves his dog. Being the NOOB here and knowing what this hike will mean to me, when I start in 2013, I told his support person that I will go and get and house Rosie until he can come get her. The breed of dog described as:

"These dogs have great stamina and you will tire long before they do. They need to be taken ondaily, long, brisk walks (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalk.htm) or jogs. In addition, it needs plenty of opportunity to run, preferably off the leash in a safe area. If these dogs are allowed to get bored, and are not walked or jogged daily, they can become destructive and start to display a wide array of behavioral problems (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caught/baddog/caughtmain.htm)."

I only hope that this description is incorrect for I am not a elite hiker as some on WB. I only hope that when I need help and ask that you all don't beat me up. I know who you are. :eek:

May this thread rest in peace.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2012, 22:00
the only reason this dog is on the trail is cuz he couldn't find a babysitter for it. his own GF wouldn't take it