PDA

View Full Version : searching for a new light weight tent

jduncan7998
03-25-2012, 13:23
I currently have a Sierra Designs Alpha CD tent...I am looking for a light weight 2 person tent. My choices so far are the Mountain Hardwear lightwedge 2 and the NEMO Espri 2. The one thing that i love about the Alpha CD tent is the zippered panel in the ceiling and the zippered panels on the doors. But i also know that to make tents lighter in weight they remove the solid panels and only use the mesh screens. How waterproof and weatherproof are the newer light weight tents?

timmy_toes
03-25-2012, 17:30
How light weight do you wanna go? Whats your price range and use for this tent? backpacking or car camping? My REI Quarter dome t2 was waterproof with the rain fly but left that at home went it was clear nights. It had great ventilation with and without the fly

Hiking Man
03-25-2012, 19:20
I also have a REI Quarter dome T2 and loved it. Held up to wind and rain very well, but a little on the heavy side. The 2012 version is about a pound lighter, but i have not seen one yet.

My new tent that i got for this year is the lightheart gear duo. So far i really like it, but i have only had it out 2 nights. Had it out two weeks ago up around Roan Mt TN. and got caught in a hail store where the ground turned white and stayed dry as a bone. It pitches with trekking poles and weights in at 32oz for a two person tent. Can't beat that! Check them out at lightheartgear.com.

kayak karl
03-25-2012, 19:24
http://www.lightheartgear.com/

jduncan7998
03-25-2012, 19:37
How light weight do you wanna go? Whats your price range and use for this tent? backpacking or car camping? My REI Quarter dome t2 was waterproof with the rain fly but left that at home went it was clear nights. It had great ventilation with and without the fly I want to keep the weight of the tent to no more than 5 lbs. I know that may be alot of weight for some, but i perfer free standing tents that have no more than 2 main pole sections. And i like tents with a vestibule.

4Bears
03-25-2012, 19:42
The above mentioned Light Heart tents, but also Tarp Tents at www.tarptents.com . You can also check out Six Moon Designs or Big Agnes. Not knowing whether you want a free standing tent or a simple tarp set up, front entry or side entry makes it difficult to give specific options.

jduncan7998
03-25-2012, 19:58
The above mentioned Light Heart tents, but also Tarp Tents at www.tarptents.com (http://www.tarptents.com) . You can also check out Six Moon Designs or Big Agnes. Not knowing whether you want a free standing tent or a simple tarp set up, front entry or side entry makes it difficult to give specific options. Front entry...i do not like the tarp set up.

allen3150
03-25-2012, 19:59
http://www.lightheartgear.com/

Just got a lightheart tent. It's great.

Rocket Jones
03-25-2012, 20:22
Tarptents are not tarps. Check that link.

cowpoke
03-25-2012, 21:25
Check out the Double Rainbow from HS Tarptent....around 3lbs...easy to set up and take down...handles all weather conditions very well.

Astro
03-25-2012, 22:13
I am happy with my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Section hiked AT with my 11 year old son and AT and Ouchitau Trail by myself with it. While there was room for my son, it was more comfortable when just by myself. Relatively ligtht and easy to put up.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/SeedhouseSL22012

jeffmeh
03-25-2012, 23:28
www.tarptent.com

not tarptents dot com

ParkRat09
03-26-2012, 20:00
2 great ones are the Nemo Obi 2 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or the Platinum...sell both of those at my store and they're awesome. There's also awesome and super lightweight tents on tarptents.com I used the Squall 2 for 2.5 weeks in the Rockies last year and loved it!

timmy_toes
03-26-2012, 21:12
http://www.litekamper.com/tent_2man.htm

lots of different tents under 2kilos (4.4 pounds)

jduncan7998
03-27-2012, 17:21
2 great ones are the Nemo Obi 2 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or the Platinum...sell both of those at my store and they're awesome. There's also awesome and super lightweight tents on tarptents.com I used the Squall 2 for 2.5 weeks in the Rockies last year and loved it!I am really leaning towards the NEMO Espri 2 model. I like that it has 2 poles and the optional trekking pole vestibule. And it's light enough for 1 person but has enough room for 2 people when all gear is kept under the vestibule. What kind of review are out for the Espri 2 model?

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 17:57
The "Velocity 1" UL tent from EMS is back in production,it was gone for a year or so.At 2 lbs. 14 oz. and free standing and $259.00 some might find it a workable piece.I think the old weight was around 3lbs.3oz. but not really sure.

kidchill
03-27-2012, 18:04
Anyone have or seen the cuben fiber tent from lightheart? I just looked at the numbers and could probably shave a pound by getting it. A few questions though, is it freestanding and how many stakes do I need? Also, how worth it is it to have a freestanding tent on the AT? I'm not meaning to threadjack, the OP may have some of these questions as well...

Chuppacabra
03-27-2012, 19:40
I'm really suprised the MSR Hubba Hubba doesn't get much love. I think it really captures the best of being inexpensive compared to some of the tents being recommended, yet also freestanding and under 3lbs. I think with all the humidity/rain/t-storms and bugs the luxury of having a freestander really can't be stated enough.

grateful 2
03-27-2012, 20:35
I own it and I LOVE it. I also own nemo obi 1, seedhouse 1 and 2, msr hubba hubba, sierra designs lightning 1, and Go Lite shangri-la. The cuben lightheart I like best for long distance backpacking, and the hubba hubba I like the best for short distance hiking/car camping. The lightheart is NOT freestanding, but pitches fast. Uses 6 stakes. make sure to get the wedge vestibules - they are great!

Anyone have or seen the cuben fiber tent from lightheart? I just looked at the numbers and could probably shave a pound by getting it. A few questions though, is it freestanding and how many stakes do I need? Also, how worth it is it to have a freestanding tent on the AT? I'm not meaning to threadjack, the OP may have some of these questions as well...

grateful 2
03-27-2012, 20:38
PS - Make sure you get one that breathes. (The lightheart does.) It rains alot on the AT, and thehumidity is almost high (Think mucho condensation.)
I own it and I LOVE it. I also own nemo obi 1, seedhouse 1 and 2, msr hubba hubba, sierra designs lightning 1, and Go Lite shangri-la. The cuben lightheart I like best for long distance backpacking, and the hubba hubba I like the best for short distance hiking/car camping. The lightheart is NOT freestanding, but pitches fast. Uses 6 stakes. make sure to get the wedge vestibules - they are great!

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2012, 20:49
uhhh I am soooooo going with two trees and a huge hammock.

Chuch
03-27-2012, 20:51
Yeah, I still think that the Hubba Hubba is a solid option to be considered. The nemo stuff is great as well. I just dont have much experience with some of the cottage type brands. My wife and I are hiking our section with a carbon reflex 3 which is a bit rediculous but it keeps the weight down (relatively speaking) and keeps her extremely happy. LOL

Whack-a-mole
03-28-2012, 00:23
Love my BA Copper Spur 2. It is a little pricey, but good room, low condensation, easy to set up, and it only weighs about 3.5lbs. Good head room, and kept me dry during a couple hard rains. Glad I made that purchase.

nevergoshort
03-28-2012, 21:27
You may also want to check out http://www.bearpawwd.com. I read some good reviews and they are at a very good price point and low weight. I believe he has some freestanding tents in with the tarp and other tents.

Loopback
03-30-2012, 23:31
I'm a weight lifter that should have spent more time doing yoga. That being said, I like a lot of room. After tons of research, I just ordered the Sierra Designs Mojo 3. It's just for me. I almost went with the 2p, but was willing to sacrifice a half pound or so for all that extra room. It's still only 3.5lbs. It's a hybrid, so apparently condensation isn't a problem (you sleep with your head on the double-wall side and your feet are on the single-wall side). Check out the video on their site to see the crazy stuff they are doing with poles. I love a free-standing tent.

brotheral
03-31-2012, 08:09
I'm really suprised the MSR Hubba Hubba doesn't get much love. I think it really captures the best of being inexpensive compared to some of the tents being recommended, yet also freestanding and under 3lbs. I think with all the humidity/rain/t-storms and bugs the luxury of having a freestander really can't be stated enough.
The Hubba Hubba Packed weight is 4lb 8oz. Fly and Footprint (fast pack) is 3 lb. Still very lightweight in my book....

brotheral
03-31-2012, 08:58
I'm a big fan of Sierra Designs. Their customer service has been excellent when I needed them which is a big plus.
I've had one of their "Base Camp Tents" (Nomad 5) for several years and love it, so when I was looking for a backpacking tent last year I wound up with the SD Vaporlight 2XL. It was a tough choice between it and the Hubba Hubba. I'm not a thru-hiker. I'm not pushing for big miles and in a hurry. 5 to 8 or so miles a day is good by me. If I like a place I may stay for 2 days and let it soak in. I like extra room in my tent, freestanding, & top quality. The 2XL is 93" long with an appx width of 52" in front tapering to 40" at the foot. The heaviest weight Spec, Packed weight is either 4lb 1oz or 4lb 4oz. I've seen both listed. I set it up at Elkmont in The Smokies last July and a pounding afternoon storm blew in. It was something else.... When the rain finally stopped, my Vaporlight was standing tall and completely dry inside.

waasj
03-31-2012, 09:03
Tarptent rainbow at 1# or so floats my boat.

brotheral
03-31-2012, 09:24
Love my BA Copper Spur 2. It is a little pricey, but good room, low condensation, easy to set up, and it only weighs about 3.5lbs. Good head room, and kept me dry during a couple hard rains. Glad I made that purchase.
Another very good freestanding tent !!

jeffmeh
03-31-2012, 09:43
Tarptent rainbow at 1# or so floats my boat.

More like 38 oz. seam-sealed, with panels, pole, stakes, and stuff sack, but it's a great tent for one.