PDA

View Full Version : fishing

Braves#6
03-25-2012, 15:03
Preparing for my first time on the trail. my fondest memories of the north Ga. mountains include fishing. Are the creeks and streams along the trail hard to get to, or is it more a matter of stay on the trail and fish on a different trip? eating a piece of fresh fish now and then sounds like a winner. let me know, and thanks for sharing.

johnnybgood
03-25-2012, 15:28
Are you hiking only GA or other states too ? A fishing licinse will be needed in every state if crossing state boundries.
If you're going for an overnight or a few days out and don't mind carrying the extra weight , have fun.
I wouldn't tote a pole and fishing tackle for a long hike though , save that for the occssional overnighter.

Most of the 'GOOD' fishing spots I know are off the AT on blue or other blazed trails and require a real penchant for those willing to get to them.

Tinker
03-25-2012, 17:13
For the most part, the AT is located along the ridges. There aren't too many streams that are able to support any sizeable fish at that altitude. You'd probably have to hike away from the trail to find any good spots. Justus Creek is the only place that looked possibly "fishy" when I hiked through in '06, but I didn't have a pole with me.

coach lou
03-25-2012, 17:27
For the most part, the AT is located along the ridges. There aren't too many streams that are able to support any sizeable fish at that altitude. You'd probably have to hike away from the trail to find any good spots. Justus Creek is the only place that looked possibly "fishy" when I hiked through in '06, but I didn't have a pole with me.

The AT crosses many Trout streams along its way north/ south. For the 99.999997% of the rest of the time you run along every spine commitees could find! There are many places on the east coast that can be backpacked into to get good fishing. Both NPs advertize fishing, but not up on those ridges. The .000003%, I know of and have fished is the area from Pen Mar to Duncannon, nice trout country,I guess you can try for stripers in the Delaware and the Hudson, but along the Housatonic from Bulls Bridge to Falls Village the smallys are thick! Now Maines 100 miles wilderness looks very fishy, if you ask me, but I haven't been there yet.Tight Lines!

nufsaid
03-25-2012, 17:37
The AT crosses many Trout streams along its way north/ south. For the 99.999997% of the rest of the time you run along every spine commitees could find! There are many places on the east coast that can be backpacked into to get good fishing. Both NPs advertize fishing, but not up on those ridges. The .000003%, I know of and have fished is the area from Pen Mar to Duncannon, nice trout country,I guess you can try for stripers in the Delaware and the Hudson, but along the Housatonic from Bulls Bridge to Falls Village the smallys are thick! Now Maines 100 miles wilderness looks very fishy, if you ask me, but I haven't been there yet.Tight Lines!

Don't forget to get fishing licenses for the states/areas that you plan to fish. Sometimes you have to pay an additional fee for trout.

Tinker
03-25-2012, 17:40
Now that I've reread the original post, I'd say that Maine, of the states north of the DWG, has the most ponds and streams of any state, with Vermont next, New Hampshire, Mass., Connecticut, New York and New Jersey, in that order, (as far as having spots that might support healthy fisheries). Some of the larger rivers are polluted, and the Housatonic in Mass. is not recommended as a source for drinking water, so I, personally, wouldn't eat the fish out of it, either, though the fishing itself might be good.

coach lou
03-25-2012, 17:54
Don't forget to get fishing licenses for the states/areas that you plan to fish. Sometimes you have to pay an additional fee for trout.

One march I tried to rush my spring and went to Shenandoah NP. I parked the fish car at Big Meadows and hiked down into the Rapidan for 6" brookies & 3" Red sided darters. First time fishing in Virginia, 10 day non-resident $10.50, Va. Trout Stamp $30.50, Va. National Forest Stamp $3.50, SNP was open $15.00, 1 rainy nite @ Big Meadows $16.00..............Priceless!

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 19:14
One of my favorite fishing poles for day hiking or a recon with hopes to find is a 2'-0" 3 eyed ice fishing pole with a baby diawa.I've fished with this for years,even use it for a ultra light kite.Not hard to make if you cant find one.Get any old pole at yard sale and only use the top half,then cut that down to fit your needs or pack.Though mine was store bought.Also own a ugly stick three piece pack rod comes in a case don't know the weight.give it a shot.

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2012, 19:41
Here in Pa the trail drops down for the gaps - large cold streams pass thru and fishing is excellent.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 19:54
There is some fine fishing on the yellow britches creek in Boiling springs,goes right behind the Allen berry Inn.Good fishing in the Susquehanna for smallmouth both in PA,sunfish at sunfish pond,and in the Delaware River,but I haven't fished there for along time.