PDA

View Full Version : Cat sprayed my LHG tent!

MissMagnolia
03-25-2012, 18:00
Please tell me that somebody out here knows how I can get that smell out. My tent is a LightHeart Gear Solo and the cat tagged it in several places. I assume this happened when I left it set up in my backyard for a couple of days. Then I stuffed it away and only discovered the evidence yesterday on an overnight hike. I tried some vinegar water on it (I was desperate) and then it became an even worse smell.

Did I already ruin it? Can I wash it and with what products if so? It got on the tyvek groundsheet, too. HELP ME! I don't want to spend my whole thru-hike smelling cat spray next to my head. :eek:

Fingers crossed....

elkie-girl
03-25-2012, 18:06
Please tell me that somebody out here knows how I can get that smell out. My tent is a LightHeart Gear Solo and the cat tagged it in several places. I assume this happened when I left it set up in my backyard for a couple of days. Then I stuffed it away and only discovered the evidence yesterday on an overnight hike. I tried some vinegar water on it (I was desperate) and then it became an even worse smell.

Did I already ruin it? Can I wash it and with what products if so? It got on the tyvek groundsheet, too. HELP ME! I don't want to spend my whole thru-hike smelling cat spray next to my head. :eek:

Fingers crossed....

Tell him thanks, your act mouse-proofed your tent. Seriously, I believe the smell will be gone after some good usage, exposure to elements, sun and wind.

MuddyWaters
03-25-2012, 18:15
Mirazyme is the ticket

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2012, 18:32
I do not know if this is safe to use on silnylon, however there is a product called Natures Miracle (http://www.ilovenaturesmiracle.com/home/index.php) that you can find at pet stores that does an excellent job of breaking down urine smell. We bought this stuff in bulk when we were housebreaking our dogs.

I would also suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any advice.

Tinker
03-25-2012, 18:37
I do not know if this is safe to use on silnylon, however there is a product called Natures Miracle (http://www.ilovenaturesmiracle.com/home/index.php) that you can find at pet stores that does an excellent job of breaking down urine smell. We bought this stuff in bulk when we were housebreaking our dogs.

I would also suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any advice.

I sold it when I worked at Petco.

Most of the folks who bought it say that it worked miracles (pun intended).

None of them had used it on silnylon. It may not be compatible with the silicone impregnation. I'd ask Heartfire (Judy) if she knows.

Theosus
03-25-2012, 18:48
Cats spray our front porch sometimes. It goes away eventually, but I would hate to leave the tent out and maybe another cat would spray again.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 19:00
Our pup got hit by a skunk,and the vet told us to use the some of those enzymes type things,but that he didn't think it would help,and that"time" was what would do it.We tried the enzyme stuff can't remember the name.But the doc was right,didn't help.....at all.he also said don't waste your money on tomato juice and that the enzyme would work better than that.But who knows,maybe it will work on cat urine,give it a shot. good luck!

HeartFire
03-25-2012, 19:02
I would try soap and water first and lots of sunlight, Marc said he thinks the natures miracle stuff would probably be safe to use on the silnylon.

Hawkwind61
03-25-2012, 19:38
Orange Oxy also available at pet stores is specifically for cat odor.

Wise Old Owl
03-25-2012, 19:39
RS skunks are a whole different matter - the enzyme treatment should work.... if it doesn't PM and I will provide a workable solution.

jeffmeh
03-25-2012, 19:58
+1 on the Nature's Miracle, now that Judy thinks it should be no problem with the material.

waasj
03-25-2012, 20:13
I think time and sunlight are your best options. Hang it out high enough so it doesn't get a second dose. On the positive side, a little residual odor might intimidate the local rodent population.

skinewmexico
03-26-2012, 11:50
Mirazyme is the ticket

+2. What it's made for.

mkmangold
03-26-2012, 15:21
I would try soap and water first and lots of sunlight, Marc said he thinks the natures miracle stuff would probably be safe to use on the silnylon.

Same thing happened to us. Someone accidentally locked our cat in the same closet we house our equipment in. The cat had no choice. I washed everything affected with detergent and a whole bottle of vinegar in the washing machine. Then I hung everything up on the clothesline to dry in the sun. Not a trace of cat urine smell left.

MissMagnolia
03-26-2012, 16:09
Thank you, everybody, and especially Judy (since it is your tent). I will go ahead and try Nature's Miracle or one of the enzyme treatments. I was worried I had already ruined the tent with the vinegar and I didn't want to do anything else that might ruin the silnylon. Wish me luck! Also, I don't mind if there's a teeny smell left to keep the mice away. I hadn't thought of that. :)