PDA

View Full Version : Killing time

underscored
03-25-2012, 18:10
Wish I could leave now. But alas - didn't book my flight until mid-April. Thought I'd need a little more time to prep but I'm ready to go NOW.

How are you all killing time before getting out there this spring? (If you're still waiting?)

Anxiety is all but gone and now I'm just ready to live in the wood for the next 4-5 months.

kayak karl
03-25-2012, 18:38
“As if you could kill time without injuring eternity”
Henry David Thoreau

it will be here before you know it :)

CrumbSnatcher
03-25-2012, 18:41
Wish I could leave now. But alas - didn't book my flight until mid-April. Thought I'd need a little more time to prep but I'm ready to go NOW.

How are you all killing time before getting out there this spring? (If you're still waiting?)

Anxiety is all but gone and now I'm just ready to live in the wood for the next 4-5 months.for about an extra $100.00 you could probably bump that flight to a sooner departure date?

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 19:04
Did you apply for all your permits already?

underscored
03-25-2012, 19:59
for about an extra $100.00 you could probably bump that flight to a sooner departure date?

Using a voucher for the flight so itself is free - I'm on a super duper tight budget.

underscored
03-25-2012, 19:59

Unless I've just completely overlooked something - wha? The places where I'll need any permits have self-registration kiosks and whatnot from my understanding? I see no reason to do any of that ahead of time.

atmilkman
03-25-2012, 20:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_ow7LmHwY
I know how you feel. I've got a year to go. It's killin' me.
You gotta think of "you" as the trail.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 20:29
Unless I've just completely overlooked something - what? The places where I'll need any permits have self-registration kiosks and whatnot from my understanding? I see no reason to do any of that ahead of time."Just killin time bra",wanted to see if your were paying attention.The Force is strong in you young Uncensored.You'll go far,watch your top knot.;)

Heald
03-25-2012, 20:35

Nice on. Keepin the noobs on their toes ey.

atmilkman
03-25-2012, 20:42
Don't forget initiation, and the beer fund, and water duty.

Sandy of PA
03-25-2012, 21:02
I am killing time by walking around my neighborhood with a fully loaded pack. It is a great conversation starter!

Maren
03-25-2012, 21:04
I kill time by hanging out on WB.

rocketsocks
03-25-2012, 21:12
Don't forget initiation, and the beer fund, and water duty.That's right,"thee watermellon to the top" gag. All vets bring a mellon baller,cause ain't nary a one gonna eat mellon with a ex-ato K-nife.LOL:D

underscored
03-26-2012, 00:33
Nice on. Keepin the noobs on their toes ey.

Dammit. Had a feeling... oh well, I'll pay my dues as they come. I can take a good hazing with the best of them!

rocketsocks
03-26-2012, 03:26
Dammit. Had a feeling... oh well, I'll pay my dues as they come. I can take a good hazing with the best of them!Your a good man,have a great hike.:sun

turtle fast
03-26-2012, 13:40
You could try to earn some extra cash by hitting up friends and family for chores that they need done to help fund your hike...better than sitting around! And that extra $20 would look great at the All You Can Eat Buffet at he Chinese place in Wayesboro...or for buying a shake in the Shenandohas...or for a meal at the Home Place in Catawba, VA. See the common theme here...you will crave a lot of food by the time you get these places and that extra dough would make things feel a lot better!!!

underscored
03-27-2012, 00:26
You could try to earn some extra cash by hitting up friends and family for chores that they need done to help fund your hike...better than sitting around! And that extra $20 would look great at the All You Can Eat Buffet at he Chinese place in Wayesboro...or for buying a shake in the Shenandohas...or for a meal at the Home Place in Catawba, VA. See the common theme here...you will crave a lot of food by the time you get these places and that extra dough would make things feel a lot better!!!

Haha - I'm doing exactly this and I'm "hiding" that extra money in various spots on my pack for me to rediscover on the rare occasion I'm in a town for more than a resupply. My stomach is already growling at me thinking of the reduced diet. That being said - I miss my "in shape" days and if there's anything that's going to make me drop weight, it's going to be this hike.

rocketsocks
03-27-2012, 00:37
Haha - I'm doing exactly this and I'm "hiding" that extra money in various spots on my pack for me to rediscover on the rare occasion I'm in a town for more than a resupply. My stomach is already growling at me thinking of the reduced diet. That being said - I miss my "in shape" days and if there's anything that's going to make me drop weight, it's going to be this hike.
more than likely you'll go below your sparing weight,and end up somewhere in the "you don't look well sweetie eat something" weight.

RWheeler
03-27-2012, 10:04
I've been making my spirits happy. I leave in a little under 4 weeks, and it's been hard staying "here" mentally until then. I'm a big fan of college basketball, so the tournament has helped a lot. Other than that, I've been slacklining and just sitting outside. The slacklining is something that's incredibly fun for me, plus does great things for building strength in your ankles (I'd recommend not really trying to pick it up at this point - it's harder than it looks and you might risk hurting yourself, which would suck). And the lying around outside doing nothing... well... I figured that would help adjust me to having all the time I really want while on the trail. Condition myself that I'm really on my schedule, no one else's.

I haven't really been bothering much with the physical conditioning. I'm in good enough shape where I can at least start with somewhere around 10 MPD, based on elevation gain, and not be hurting. So instead, I've been focusing on the mental side of things. That's what I feel would risk pulling me off the trail over anything else, anyway.

Slo-go'en
03-27-2012, 13:08
I haven't really been bothering much with the physical conditioning.

Still, you should go out and walk a mile or two or three or four every day. It will make a HUGE difference when you start.

RWheeler
03-27-2012, 14:00
I meant I haven't bothered with going above and beyond for physical conditioning. I do a few miles of walking around regularly. I'm not just sitting around doing nothing :-P

Todd Tarbox
03-27-2012, 14:17
I've been making my spirits happy. I leave in a little under 4 weeks, and it's been hard staying "here" mentally until then. I'm a big fan of college basketball, so the tournament has helped a lot. Other than that, I've been slacklining and just sitting outside. The slacklining is something that's incredibly fun for me, plus does great things for building strength in your ankles (I'd recommend not really trying to pick it up at this point - it's harder than it looks and you might risk hurting yourself, which would suck). And the lying around outside doing nothing... well... I figured that would help adjust me to having all the time I really want while on the trail. Condition myself that I'm really on my schedule, no one else's.

I haven't really been bothering much with the physical conditioning. I'm in good enough shape where I can at least start with somewhere around 10 MPD, based on elevation gain, and not be hurting. So instead, I've been focusing on the mental side of things. That's what I feel would risk pulling me off the trail over anything else, anyway.

I aways wanted to try slacklining! I've been keeping busy by going to my local climbing gym, taking my longboard out, riding my bike, and hiking around wherever I can. Also working on my ankles and balance with my Indo Board. April 25th still can't come soon enough!!!

RWheeler
03-27-2012, 15:26
I aways wanted to try slacklining! I've been keeping busy by going to my local climbing gym, taking my longboard out, riding my bike, and hiking around wherever I can. Also working on my ankles and balance with my Indo Board. April 25th still can't come soon enough!!!

You're starting the 25th? You doing the Approach, or just starting at Springer? I'm doing Approach on the 24th, chances are I'll bump into you at some point.

Todd Tarbox
03-27-2012, 23:09
Ill be doing the approach trail on the 25th. See you out there.

Serial 07
03-27-2012, 23:16
only two more work days!

Del Q
03-28-2012, 20:48
I try to forget about the hike............yes, I'll spend time on WB, work out, have learned NOT to pack my pack too early, usually the weekend before I leave. Agreed, will be here before you know it.