PDA

View Full Version : Hiking vacation spots

dmperkins74
03-25-2012, 19:48
Hi everybody I'm hoping you can help. I'm a section hiker and I'm hoping to find a place where my family and I can go on vacation for a week this summer somewhere near the trail. That way we can spend some time together but then I can take a few days to go off hiking. It has to be someplace where my wife and son can entertain themselves while I'm off hiking. A nice house to rent near a lake with swimming and boating and other activities, but with a town nearby would be perfect. I was thinking maybe someplace in the Smokies or up north in the New England. Any ideas?

Thanks,
AlphaPig

disco-stu
03-25-2012, 19:53
Check out the Pine Grove PA area. There is a nearby town named Carlisle that offers nice hotels to stay. Pine Grove has outdoor family activities like boat rental, fishing, lake "beach" access and all. Boiling Springs is about 10 min away and is a great place on the trail and head south....

ScottP
03-25-2012, 20:06
Asheville, NC? Or somewhere halfway between there and the AT?

cowpoke
03-25-2012, 21:35
Check out Fontana Village....southern end of the Smokies...lots of things to keep family entertained.

johnnybgood
03-25-2012, 21:41
Check out Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke, www.smithmountainlakerentals.com/ (http://www.smithmountainlakerentals.com/)

DLANOIE
03-26-2012, 06:35
Well if youy want to come to New England may I suggest North Conway NH. A bustling little town with LOTS to do and situated in the heart of the White Mountains. Not too far from Storyland, Santas Village, Polar Caves, etc etc etc...:)

Cookerhiker
03-26-2012, 08:41
I recommend New Hampshire - lots of real lakes, ariel tramways up Wildcat and Cannon Mountains, family amusements, The Flume State Park, train rides. Re the Wildcat tramway, it would be cool if you hiked up Wildcat from Pinkham and your family met you up there after taking the ariel tram.

DavidNH
03-26-2012, 09:39
Well if youy want to come to New England may I suggest North Conway NH. A bustling little town with LOTS to do and situated in the heart of the White Mountains. Not too far from Storyland, Santas Village, Polar Caves, etc etc etc...:)

This is an EXCELLENT suggestion. You might even consider booking a private room at the AMC highland Center (top of Crawford Notch (outdoors.org). You can then hike up in the Presidentials or in the PEMI or a whole bunch of other places. The AMC knows how to handle kids and no one will ever get bored.

DavidNH
03-26-2012, 09:41
...and as for North Conway, there's a nearly unlimited supply of hotels and Inns and even a nearby youth hostel. You can hike in the mountains, paddle a canoe in the Saco River, Swim, go shopping, almost any summer fun activity you can think of can be had in the North Conway area.

fiddlehead
03-26-2012, 10:01
Check out the Pine Grove PA area. There is a nearby town named Carlisle that offers nice hotels to stay. Pine Grove has outdoor family activities like boat rental, fishing, lake "beach" access and all. Boiling Springs is about 10 min away and is a great place on the trail and head south....

I think you mean Pine Grove Furnace State Park and not Pine Grove PA.
Two different places but, both on or near the trail.

I like the New England suggestions better. Maine or NH would be my choice.
Try near a ski area as the bigger ones usually have tubing or slides and mt. bike rentals.
Sunday River Maine is not far from Gorham NH which is also near Mt. Washington and many ski areas.

Maine is one of the friendlier states IMO.
The way life should be!

Datto
03-26-2012, 11:45

The wife and kids could go to Gettysburg also during that time if they haven't already seen the Gettysburg Battlefield and have an interest.

Datto

Datto
03-26-2012, 11:50
Also, you could have the family go to Washington DC for a vacation while you take the train from DC up to Harper's Ferry and hike on the AT there. The come back on the train from Harper's Ferry and meet up with the family again in Washington DC (meanwhile, the family goes to the Smithsonian, Capital Building, sees the White House and has dinner with the President and his family, see Ford's Theater, possibly the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art.

Datto

Cookerhiker
03-26-2012, 12:10
Given that the OP lives in Harpers Ferry, I wouldn't suggest vacations around there or even Pine Grove Furnace. Assuming his vacation is in the summer, New England is the place to be.

johnnybgood
03-26-2012, 16:25
Given that the OP lives in Harpers Ferry, I wouldn't suggest vacations around there or even Pine Grove Furnace. Assuming his vacation is in the summer, New England is the place to be.

I agree with this and also noticed the OPs location. I gave an alternative in lieu of the suggested northern vacation areas.

dmperkins74
03-26-2012, 20:33
Thanks for all of the suggestions, lots of good options. I especially like the Fontana Dam suggestion that looks fantastic! Yeah, I've done a lot of PA and of course MD and northern to mid va, so I was definitely thinking more southern VA and below or NY and above.

Thanks for the suggestions, open to more :)
alphaPig

jbsbestfan
03-26-2012, 20:41
what about that Roan Mountain State Park in Tennessee......near beautiful AT area, they have cabins, tennis courts, pool, and a river (big stream)to play in.
I keep saying I am gonna go there but haven't yet.

joshuasdad
03-26-2012, 20:47
Berkshires in MA are an option.

Datto
03-26-2012, 22:29

Didn't see the original poster's location before posting. Big duh.

"So, when are you due? Oh your not..."

Datto

mudhead
03-27-2012, 05:32
I don't even like driving thru N. Conway, NH. Can't imagine staying there on purpose. Lots of pretty quite close to there.

Depends what they need to entertain themselves.

Mr. Bumpy
03-27-2012, 06:40
Gatlinburg.

There, I said it.

flemdawg1
03-28-2012, 14:13
Take them with you hiking. Best family time you could ever ask for.

dmperkins74
03-28-2012, 15:42
Alas, my wife's got really bad knees and back. My son's not quite old enough to handle the miles (yet).

camojack
03-29-2012, 04:10
Since New England was on the list of possibilities, I'd recommend that; I've stayed up there in the Berkshires more than once and did some hiking while I was there, during which time some non-hiking friends of mine stayed with me and were able to find things for their kids to do...and also shuttle me.

I'm planning to go back up there for Labor Day week, which is still Summer...

Del Q
03-29-2012, 19:24
Grayson Highlands / Virginia Creeper Trail - great area, just came back from Spring Section hike, really awesome. Wish I had taken the kids when they were younger.